Titan ReloadingWidenersPBcastcoLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pietta cylinder bushing

pietta cylinder bushing

This pieta frontier SAA clone has a press fit button cylinder bushing and is starting to show a little endshake.

The plan is to ream it out and fab another on the lathe.

Any ideas on how to remove it without reaming? What materials to you suggest making the bushing with?

Dimensions on the replacement bushing? Longer? Close fit? Any input is welcomed.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Don't need to make a new bushing, just buy the shim kit from Lance Shiveley, 7140 Lee Road, Jackson, MI 49201-9133. Email Lance@Triggershims.com

Don't know for sure on the Pietta, but my Ubertis used the same shim kits as Gen1 Colts.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

yeah I thought about those shims but its such an easy fab on the lathe for a better repair...I figured it would be the best option.
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Buddy
    Try using liquid propane to drip onto the bushing (outdoors) or computer keyboard blaster (upside down) Then pressing it out. We had some incredibly tight bushings where we had to freeze shrink the inner part and heat to cherry red the outer bushing and then hydraulically press the two together.

how do you press out the button? Its not a full length bushing, so I'm not sure what you would be pressing against. Unless im wrong about that...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211113_183632.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	291669
    Last edited by almar; 11-13-2021 at 07:39 PM.
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Vendor Sponsor

If you have a GOOD TiG machine with a foot pedal you could weld the end of the bushing a little at a time then face it in the lathe. Use a good 1911 magazine spring for filler wire, it will be fairly hard and last a while.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 11-13-2021 at 07:55 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

That's a good idea! I don't have one though...
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Seems to me that you could turn out a fairly close fitting rod and run it in the ratchet end of the cylinder's center axis hole so it's forward edge would butt up against the inside edge of the button. Might have to use the freeze system on the button, but I'd bet that if the cylinder was the set so the edges near the button were on a firm surface and the button over a hole, then a couple of good smacks on the back end of the rod would pop it out.

Alternatively, you could drill it out.

DG

I'll try that. Thanks to all of you.

There is a .001 step tested with gage pins, problem is its not on the button so I can't punch it out. The button hole is .453 the cylinder is .451. I guess drilling is the only option.
    Last edited by almar; 11-13-2021 at 10:52 PM.
    ― Winston S. Churchill

If you have something like an ER16 collet set you might be able to grab the end of the bushing. Or something like what has been suggested, TIG a screw into the end and use a slide hammer to remove it.

Boolit Buddy
    Hmmmmm
    My 2020 made Pietta Frontier has a removable bushing as does the Pietta made 45acp cylinder I bought for it. What year is yours?

Mike

I bought it couple of weeks ago.
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Buddy
    It's probably removable then. I had to smack it pretty good. Dressed it lightly, a smidge of Mobil1 and that's it.

Mike

Nobade: I don't have a tig welder unfortunately...I really should get one someday.

45 dragoon: some are removable from pieta but apparently some aren't. Can you see if yours has a step like mine, visible in the picture I put up there.
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Too bad the shims won't work for you...by far the simplest solution. Well, if there is no edge for a rod inserted from the rear of the cylinder to push against, you pretty much will have to destroy the bushing to remove it. I'd try drilling it out on a drill press. Choose a bit that is smaller than the outside diameter of the bushing and drill out most of the bushing. You'll want to spend a little time in your set-up, clamping the cylinder in place tightly so that it won't move during the operation, and bringing the bit down so the point is in the center of the bushing's inside diameter. This could also be done in a lathe with the cylinder in a 4-jaw chuck and a drill bit in a drill chuck mounted in the tailstock. If you drill out most of the diameter of the bushing you should then be able to collapse the thin remaining sides inward and remove them.

Returning back to your original post, since you have a lathe, I think I'd look seriously about fabricating a full length bushing as a replacement. This would involve drilling out the cylinder's center axis hole a bit larger, then making the bushing with the same inner hole diameter as the present bushing so as to be able to use the existing cylinder pin.

When it comes to gunsmithing I'm kind of a pragmatist. Throughout a lengthy gunsmithing career I always took the most practical solution (as it appeared to be to me) and had a rule that I wouldn't make it if I could buy it, as time is money. I'm thinking that if I were in your shoes and just had to do this job, I'd contact Pietta and explain the problem. Ask for their advice. Ask if you can just swap out another cylinder. You might hear something like, "Send it to us and we'll repair it." If they won't help, then "a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do."

DG

Well now I feel like a fool, the bushing is removable. That little step made me think it was a button like many others have reported about their pietas. Wow, im really glad I checked here, 45 dragoon, you saved me a lot of trouble.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20211114_171357.jpg  
    Last edited by almar; 11-14-2021 at 06:26 PM.
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    Just a thought, you say you bought the gun a few weeks back and it's already showing end shake wear. Measurably different from when you got it or is it just "wearing in"? if you've got a lathe and such I would take it that you know that generally where parts run together one is made softer than the other to be sacrificial. I'd take pains to be sure i didn't put something together harder than the frame and it's for this reason I'd opt for shimming over cutting a new bushing. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Just a thought, you say you bought the gun a few weeks back and it's already showing end shake wear. Measurably different from when you got it or is it just "wearing in"? if you've got a lathe and such I would take it that you know that generally where parts run together one is made softer than the other to be sacrificial. I'd take pains to be sure i didn't put something together harder than the frame and it's for this reason I'd opt for shimming over cutting a new bushing. Just a thought.
    It just wearing in, there was no endshake before and its there now, nothing huge. I will shim now of course, that's a good point about the sacrificial parts though and worth mentioning.
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Buddy
    Almar, you are more than welcome. I wouldn't have been able to tell you my thoughts if I hadn't just this past week gotten my First Pietta copy of the Mod. P. I've had many Uberti's and an ASM and all have had removable bushings and all reports I've had was that Pietta's did as well.
    Mine was rather tough to remove but after I cleaned it up, it's good to go!

Mike

That's what they are supposed to look like. Glad you got yours out with no damage!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast