Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Remington Creedmoor Rolling Block Rifle

Remington Creedmoor Rolling Block Rifle

I finally made some time to get the stocks on my Remington Creedmoor rifle more finished, so they look more correct to what Remington finish was, and not the flat, plain, light color someone re-did on my rifle. I stripped the surface, and applied a reddish hue stain to the stock and forearm, and after a few coats I applied some Wipe On Poly. Only took a few coats as the stock grain was very closed grain and took it quickly. Let it dry for a couple weeks, and then rubbed it out with rottenstone, and then finished with Minnwax paste wax, and buffed the stocks out.

Before:

After:

Boolit Master
    Wow, what a difference! I like reddish stocks as well, what stain did you use. If I remember correctly you mix colors.

Banned

Looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    Wow, what a difference! I like reddish stocks as well, what stain did you use. If I remember correctly you mix colors.
    I used Minn Wax stain in a dark mahogany color. I buy red dye from Tap Plastics that's designed to mix into oil base stain, and I simply add a few drops to a small container I put stain in. Then I test the color inside the barrel channel of the forearm until I like the color. Don't want to just spread it on without a test first, as no telling what it looks like when it's in a cup and looks very dark brown.

Boolit Buddy
    Looks very nice.

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice!
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Master

Agreed it looks great. Nice to see a vintage rifle back to it's glory.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info marlinman. I've combined their Special Walnut and Sedona Red stains but have never been really happy with it. But I only use one coat of stain, maybe I need to add a couple more. I have a bland Pedersoli RB that could use a stock refinish and maybe I'll try again with a few more coats before giving up.

I considered the mahogany color before buying the Special Walnut, but heck Gunstocks are supposed to be Walnut right?? Thanks again for the info, always enjoy reading your threads.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    Thanks for the info marlinman. I've combined their Special Walnut and Sedona Red stains but have never been really happy with it. But I only use one coat of stain, maybe I need to add a couple more. I have a bland Pedersoli RB that could use a stock refinish and maybe I'll try again with a few more coats before giving up.

I considered the mahogany color before buying the Special Walnut, but heck Gunstocks are supposed to be Walnut right?? Thanks again for the info, always enjoy reading your threads.
    You're welcome!
    I sometimes use more than one coat of stain, but rarely. It just doesn't seem to change much with more coats, and often it affects the drying time of the finish later if it's too built up with stain. I make sure to not leave a lot of excess stain on the surface also. I let it sit a few minutes, and then I rub it dry to eliminate any wet spots. I also wait a couple days after staining to make sure the stain is dried well before applying finish.