WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: 0.3565" bullets for 9mm Luger

Boolit Bub

0.3565" bullets for 9mm Luger

Hi guys. I have lapped one carbide insert to make 9mm bullets but I went a bit too far and the bullets are coming out at 0.3565". I have other spare inserts, but man... it's a lot of work.
    I am shooting our bolt action 9mm rifles. Question is: do you think the bullets are too fat for the 9mm Lugers? I'm making bullets from commercial bullet jackets as well as 9mm brass (I know.. it's sorta incest).
    Let me know your thoughts. I really looked up on Google, but nothing better to ask this question here.
    Cheers
    MFG

Depending on the bore of your rifles, it should be fine, but I'd work up a load with a few to start with, just to be sure.

I can't speak to your rifles, but I've slugged the bores on 9mm (9x19) handgun barrels that have ranged from .355" to .358" in diameter.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

I know it sounds like a pain, but if they are too fat you can always run them through a sizer.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Either run them through a sizer or adjust your load a bit. I've shot plenty of .357 in my 9mm and just turned down the powder charge ever so slightly.

Boolit Bub
    Tks guys. Yeah.. I have some Cerrosafe laying somewhere at the shop and will use it to measure lands, although I don't like it. As the barrel chamber area is Ø1.25" and bolt is very stiff, I will work up the loads independent of what Cerrosafe tells me. I know... idiot, but... Now I just want to know bore diameter. Appreciated all answers!

0.3565" should work. Just adjust COL so rounds chamber without contacting the lands/rifling.

Boolit Master
    I size my 9mm bullets to .357. Many people use and recommend .357. .3565 should work just fine.

Boolit Bub
    thanks for the answers. my bore, according to cerrosafe (after 1 hour), measures Ø 0.3550". i will probably use the string method to shoot and see how it goes. problem only now is going out to shoot it here in new zealand as we are in an endless lockdown due to our leftist govt where the cases only go up.

I size my cast 9mm to .358 powder coated. CZ75 and Glock 34 love them. With brass or copper jacketed bullets at .3565" I think you will be ok. Start loads about 10% low and work up if needed.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

I made my carbide sizing die to 0.3565 for all my cast bullets for my 9mm and 38 Super... awesome accuracy Hitek coated , no leading

Id buy one of those Blot action 9mm rifles in a heartbeat if the took 1911 magazines

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    Id buy one of those Blot action 9mm rifles in a heartbeat if the took 1911 magazines
    Hey M.A.D., thanks man! We are moving overseas as NZ is going from bad to worse regarding personal freedom. It's not the NZ it was when I got here 15 years ago.
    Our dealer's license is renewed every year and 2 A4 sheets were needed to be filled out with my info. Now, it's more than 30 pages with the most ridiculous questions asked. I refuse to answer it and moving overseas is the option. Horse face don't like guns.

I made my carbide dies too. Could I see some pics of your dies if you don't mind? Cool to see someone doing their carbide stuff!

I've tested my .03565" bullets in our rifles (0.355" bore) and it couldn't have been better. Awesome accuracy at 100m.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by MFG_BOP View Post
    Hey M.A.D., thanks man! We are moving overseas as NZ is going from bad to worse regarding personal freedom. It's not the NZ it was when I got here 15 years ago.
    Our dealer's license is renewed every year and 2 A4 sheets were needed to be filled out with my info. Now, it's more than 30 pages with the most ridiculous questions asked. I refuse to answer it and moving overseas is the option. Horse face don't like guns.

I made my carbide dies too. Could I see some pics of your dies if you don't mind? Cool to see someone doing their carbide stuff!

I've tested my .03565" bullets in our rifles (0.355" bore) and it couldn't have been better. Awesome accuracy at 100m.

Cheers!
    New Zealand was my most favorite country in the world, Then She got into power... And turned the country to ****... Not only that, I was no longer able to buy 180 acres on The Buller River at Murchison... NZ was my Retire country... Well If you move to Australia, Head to Queensland. Probably the easiest State to get an Armorers License and we have a local as one of the best barrel makers i the country. Or if you can get a sponsor for America... Go for it... Why did you leave the 1911 magazine platform? I would have been importing them especially in 9mm... I will take some pics of my carbide sizing dies tomorrow and send you some pics.. These were made to fit the Lee APP.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image000000 (10).jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	295336 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image000000 (7).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	295337 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image000000 (6).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	295338