RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have a lose 1885 highwall

Boolit Master
    The point is that a 'hand rubbed finish' does not describe the sheen of the finish at all. It is merely how the oil/varnish is applied to the wood.

Just as a spray on polyurethane finish does not describe if it is gloss, satin, or flat.

Furniture folks do understand a non-glossy look and they use it frequently, for the some of the same reasons gun stocks are left satin or flat. FYI, for a long time many higher end rifles and shotguns had finishes that rivaled the best of the 'piano' finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    The point is that a 'hand rubbed finish' does not describe the sheen of the finish at all. It is merely how the oil/varnish is applied to the wood.

Just as a spray on polyurethane finish does not describe if it is gloss, satin, or flat.

Furniture folks do understand a non-glossy look and they use it frequently, for the some of the same reasons gun stocks are left satin or flat. FYI, for a long time many higher end rifles and shotguns had finishes that rivaled the best of the 'piano' finishes.
    Yes, presentation grade shotguns and double rifles often have extremely high gloss finishes. But as stated, a satin finish is not half done. It takes me as long to get the satin sheen, or longer. Often when I'm done the finish end result is much shinier, and I knock it down in the final steps to not result in too glossy a finish for my uses.

Boolit Buddy

85 Highwall

Quote Originally Posted by fiatdad View Post
    I just got a new 1885 Browning Highwall rifle in 45-70. My son noticed that the but stock is a bit loose. There is a slight shift from l to r. Is there any way this can be tightened? My guess it has a bolt through the stock. I do have one more question. Wht would anyone put a high gloss urethane finish on an old style gun. Would it be a sin to strip it and put an oil finish on it, the wood is beautiful.
    Nick
    The buttstock should not be loose; careful tightening of the throughbolt might solve the problem but I would pull the stock and consider placing a dab of Acraglass on the stock tennon before reinstalling with just enough torque to secure the stock while the Acraglass cures. Then torque the through bolt. A little wax applied to the inside of the receiver where the stock seats will make future stock removal easy. That glossy Browning finish is a great waterproof finish; I would keep it and just knock the shine down a little with rotten stone then wax to the desired luster. Congrats on your new rifle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12