WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a suggestion for a PCP .22 air rifle.

Moderator Emeritus

I would suggest any common air rifle will not shoot "target" too well, if at all, at 100 yards! Most air gun target ranges are 10-meter, perhaps for this reason?
    I purchased a .22 Benjamin Marauder pistol. This comes with an attachable stock to make it into a carbine; is all set up for mounting a telescopic sight; uses a rotary magazine which performs flawlessly; and, best of all -- at 10 meters, on sandbags, ten shots may be covered with a U S 5-cent piece. ("Good" shooters do better ). It is fairly inexpensive and I have complemented mine with a Nomad II air compressor. This cost in the $600 range when I purchased mine... This, too, has worked flawlessly!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marauder at camp.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	294188Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marauder target.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	294189

Boolit Buddy
    Recently purchased a DAR after reading recent posts hear and researching DAR on you tube. First pcp rifle for me,performance and accuracy is way way more than I expected. Haven’t tested it at 50yds yet but did at 40, if my thumb nail were the target at 40 it would be gone, most 10 shot 40yd groups are one ragged hole that can be covered by a 5 cent piece.

I’m 79 very soon to be 80, I got a hand pump from Amazon cheapy, managed to get 2200psi after about 1/2 hr with several 5min breaks ,so searched you tube and made a electric motor powered device to run the hand pump, I just happened to have a gearbox and was able to get it to 15 rpm. Device works perfectly, not sure how long the pump will last but I can purchase at lease 4 or more for the price of a tank or a real compressor.

Advantage of this route for me was I am handy and had most of the parts on hand except several bearings, I did deplete the Co2/Argon gas tank for the mig welder, so that will have to be replaced.

Boolit Master

Fx Impact .22 cal. on pest birds easily out to 100 yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3qimjR7igM

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Fx Impact .22 cal. on pest birds easily out to 100 yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3qimjR7igM

Yes, indeed! Great video, too -- thanks for sharing. However, the outfit each fellow was using would set one back a minimal $2,100 for the FX-Impact, PLUS ??? for the telescopic sight -- To quote OP's Post (#1), " I'm not looking for anything high end maybe $350 or $400 not sure what I'm looking for so the price might change as I need to buy a scope also."....

Kind of puts the FX's out of this ball-park, eh?
    geo

Boolit Master

Sure does George, and mine as well. I have the Avenger and it's excellent to 50 yds and I can ring steel plates (8") at 100.

I'm mostly pleased with my Umarex Origin so far. It falls in that price range too and comes with a pump

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Sure does George, and mine as well. I have the Avenger and it's excellent to 50 yds and I can ring steel plates (8") at 100.
    On a very still, warm day last summer I stacked Caldwell sand bags and placed a cardboard box at exactly 75 yards, employing my Marauder .22 rifle and had several groups in the 2 1/2" range. Two things came to mind -- first, most pellets (I'm sorry -- do not recall what I was using -- but, probably (?) H&N Baracuda 15's -- almost none went through the back of the cardboard box. Second, was the obvious lack of pinpoint accuracy.
    The Fx Impact video was indeed impressive to me! "WOWSERS" I wish I could shoot like that! Also, similarly, there are quite a few YouTube videos of Iguana shooting in Florida. Many awesome great distant air rifle shots, too!
    Sadly -- for folks like me (trying to keep ahead on a SS retirement income) -- keeping the target closer while using mid-range (not el cheapo crap but also not the high-dollar guns) air rifles...is the best choice.
    Granted, as always, a compromise needed between funds and wants -- but -- I do hope OP might find an entry in to the wonderful (so I discovered) world of air-gunning at an affordable to him level.
    geo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12