WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: I think I'm done

I think I'm done

Went out this morning to set up for turkey hunting in the ground blind. I put out Gladys and Jezzebell (the turkey decoys).

At daylight the turkeys roosting in the white oak started discussing where they were going to spend the day. I got on the box call and suggested they come over by the blind. They decided to go south of me.

Looking across the property line I saw brown and movement. Figured it was a buck working a scrape so I hit the can call a few times. Nothing.

About 10 minutes later I saw a doe walking the fence line. She stopped well over on the neighbors land. Then a second larger "doe" came in and looked at Gladys and Jezzebell. I marked the place where I knew for a fact it would be on our side of the line. The "doe" fixated on the decoys.

The "doe" crossed my imaginary line and I shot. 30 yard half circle and dropped in sight. Love it when that happens.

Instead of a doe and a fawn it was a button buck and a smaller fawn. I was able to get "Trigger" the 4 wheeler right to the deer. I think we are set for venison for the year. I may still go after a turkey.

Here is a picture of the decoys and the blind.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Yum Yum nice and tender. Hey Mr. Thumbcocker How about some details on that new crossbow. Like how fast and such. Then weight of arrow/ broadhead.

The crossbow is a Ravin R10. The 10 is because it is 10" wide. That is a huge advantage shooting around a tree.

It shoots 400 fps and the 20 and 30 yard circles in the scope literally touch each other. The scope goes to 100 yards. I have not shot it past 50 at targets but it is dead on.

Ravin demands that you use their arrows. The arrows lock on the string. Tip: get the lighted knocks. The arrows are spendy and you don't want to lose them.

It cocks with a crank that stows on the bow. Big feature is you can let the bow down without shooting it. The crank mechanism has a dog that keeps it from slipping but you can hold the dog down and cock or uncock silently.

Broadhead is exodus 100 grain fixed. I cannot reccomend them highly enough. I shot them on my old crossbow and my compound bow. They just work. Not the biggest cutting diameter but they fly true and penetrate like no tomorrow.

For where I hunt the crossbow gives up nothing to a gun. Mrs. Thumbcocker has the same setup and is proficient with it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    I shot my buddies Ravin. It is an amazing weapon and not cheap. Remarkably accurate.
    Don Verna

Good shooting , I glad you had a good season

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I shot my buddies Ravin. It is an amazing weapon and not cheap. Remarkably accurate.
    I drive right by the Ravin factory all the time. They do not give those things away though.