Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scrap Range Lead Experiment

Scrap Range Lead Experiment

I am lucky - no one else it seems, is interested in mining the berm at our local range.
    Dig it out, sift it, dump it, smelt it, .....easy peasy. Good source of lead in trade for my labor. Maybe when I get into it, I may think differently, but right now it sounds doable.
    OK...I am up for a try. Fall and winter is smelting season.
    But here is my problem.
    I have a hardness tester and can tell roughly the BHN of the range scrap lead. But I like to shoot harder bullets.
    I have been using 5lbs ww to 1 lb lino for my entire 40 years of casting handgun calibers.
    Once i get this range scrap smelted, I'll test it and get a BHN.
    But I want to know how much of what to add to the range scrap to harden it up.
    I don't want percentages of this or that. I want something like: "....... 5bs range scrap + so much of this or that gives Lyman #2."
    I have linotype in 25 lb pigs just short of 100 lbs. I hate to even think about using that.
    Thoughts?
    What do i add and in what ratio to harden up range scrap?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Range lead can vary a lot in hardness. To have an accurate idea of the final hardness you need to know what you are starting with. The best way, is to melt as much as you can at the same time. That way the ingots you cast should be similar in hardness. Otherwise, you need to keep each batch melted together, testing a sample for hardness from each batch. I only use a Dutch oven to melt range scrap in, but wish I had a larger container to melt more together so more ingots would be the same. Once you have the range scrap in ingots and know the hardness, you can calculate what you want to add harden it up in your casting pot.

Boolit Master

every batch of range lead can be different hardness, you just have to melt a big batch and test, then adjust from there.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

What I've found from our rifle range is that what isn't a cast rifle boolit is more or less pure Lead melted out of jackets.

On the pistol range, it's a mix of jacketed & cast..
    Lots of pure Lead swaged bullets, and of the ones with a lube groove-- they're all cast and most are pretty hard.

In your application, I'd do some sorting.
    Melt down all the jacketed stuff and swaged ones separately. They'll make rather pure Lead ingots.
    Then do all the ones that look like they were cast, and test the hardness of that.

Go from there with adding wheel weights, or some super hard alloy from Rotometals or somebody.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-13-2021 at 02:19 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Used to mine our pistol range once a month. Did this for about 8 months or so. Separated out all the hard cast bullets. melted them down in a dutch oven to get as much as possible in one batch. I ended up with close to 100lbs. At the yearly meeting, the club president singled me out as the designated pistol range miner. Most of the members didn't even know what he was talking about. I had a buddy now deceased who used to shoot about 600 rounds of hard cast 45acp bullets at a time. UPS used to bring him about 3000 rounds a month. About a dozen of us used to shoot the hard cast 230 grain bullets. Used a rake, shovel and a screen made out of 2"x4" with 1/4 hardware cloth. One thing I did learn is to not fill the 5 gal plastic buckets full. Those buckets got heavy real fast. Still have 4 buckets full in the garage. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I am lucky - no one else it seems, is interested in mining the berm at our local range.
    Dig it out, sift it, dump it, smelt it, .....easy peasy. Good source of lead in trade for my labor. Maybe when I get into it, I may think differently, but right now it sounds doable.
    OK...I am up for a try. Fall and winter is smelting season.
    But here is my problem.
    I have a hardness tester and can tell roughly the BHN of the range scrap lead. But I like to shoot harder bullets.
    I have been using 5lbs ww to 1 lb lino for my entire 40 years of casting handgun calibers.
    Once i get this range scrap smelted, I'll test it and get a BHN.
    But I want to know how much of what to add to the range scrap to harden it up.
    I don't want percentages of this or that. I want something like: "....... 5bs range scrap + so much of this or that gives Lyman #2."
    I have linotype in 25 lb pigs just short of 100 lbs. I hate to even think about using that.
    Thoughts?
    You worry too much. Try 5 pounds range scrap to 1 pound Lino. It should be fine for any normal handgun. If you have one of the X frame Smiths or a BFR, you may have to do more work.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

So you want someone to do the math and find you a recipe by weight of an as yet unknown hardness of range scrap , that right there is funny and you will find it varies by who has been shooting what .

Range I dig has a lot of cast and its a lot harder then what most find , I melt it and see how hard it is and cast as needed , simply put keep it simple .

I find I have a lot of hard bullets , harder then are needed for most applications , experiment is what you will have to do to see what works for you .

I have about 1200 pounds of range scrap right now. The berm I pull form sees a lot of hard cast on the pistol range. My bullets will routinely test to between 18 and 22 bhn using the original Cabine Tree tester before the design was sold.

Smelt down what you have and cast up some bullets to test. Ingots seem to test harder then bullets for me.

Also, save those jackets. Sort out the steel. About two months ago I took two 5 gallon buckets worth to the scrap yard and walked away with $182.00.

You may want to concern yourself more with TIN content then hardness. I find I need to add tin on a regular basis for flow and filling.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Moderator Emeritus

What I know about alloying metals could easily fit into a thimble which had been run over by a steam-roller! That being said, this is what I have many times done with "melted berm lead" a friend mined, melted, poured into ingots, and sold. These were "rough fluxed" -- clean enough for the ingots, but requiring another fluxing or two to cast uniform, good looking bullets.
    I bought some Super Hard alloy from Roto Metals in California, USA. I'd add it, by weight, at the rough ratio of one pound of Roto Metal alloy to nine "standard SAECO, Lyman, etc."-sized ingots.
    Albeit I am embarrassed to write I have several lead harness indicators, for me they have been of little value. Instead, as I just typed, I tried mixing at the 1 plus 9 rate, and it hardened lead up for me to keep rifle bullets together at the velocities I shoot at and minimize leading. When I first did this, I reckoned if I wasn't getting success -- then I'd just add another Super Hard ingot... and... you get the idea. I do need add that I load/shoot at just about the lower margins of factory ammo velocities, all in .300" or greater bore diameters. (I do have a new to me .25-20WCF, but have not yet tried shooting these bullets in it)
    This is the 101% NON-scientific thing I did, which has worked well for me with reclaimed berm lead. Fyi, a good read on it is at http://www.lasc.us/SuperHard.htm#:~:...0lead%20alloys.
    geo

My Lee 10 pound pot gets 1 pound of Rotometals linotype, the balance is scrap or WW. Works for me. I test hardness with my thumb nail. If bullets are not easily marked, good to go for up to 44 mag 296 max loads. Or 38. 45acp target loads.

As cast diameters need to be large enough to size.

Boolit Master

You need to know more than the hardness of your range scrap, you need to know the composition, what makes it hard to be able to blend it to Lyman No. 2. Unless you are willing to experiment.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    Used to mine the berms at my old range and got a mix of hard cast, swaged and jacketed pistol bullets. Being frugal used this alloy for all my pistol bullets, 38/357, 40, 44 and 45. Never had leading issues, but these were sized for my guns and were at best moderate loads. Mixed 2 range lead to 1 lino for rifle again had no issues, but again moderate loads properly sized and gas checked. Personal opinion is too many worry over hardness, percentage of Sb and Sn etc, and uniformity of batches of alloy. Unless you have a demanding need such as bench rest shooting in appropriate rifles or bullseye pistol stop worrying and let your rifle or handgun tell you what hardness/size you need.

Boolit Master
    My first couple of years of volume casting were done with wheel weights. That source quickly went from good (mostly lead), to bad (mostly not lead) to gone.

I eventually found an occasionally available source of range lead from an outdoor pistol range. In the mix, the plated bullets contribute most of the harder lead.

I have also bought lead from a local scrap yard and my son bought several hundred pounds of boat keel lead. Other than some free roofing lead that I scored, the boat keel lead turned out to be my softest bulk source.

Since WW became unavailable, I have found that I can get by with "medium hardness" for most of my casting. This includes full power 9mm and full power magnum pistol ammo. I just ran a batch of 30 or so pounds of ~33% boat keel + 67% range scrap through my 6 cavity Lee 120 TC mold to use in 9mm, 38 Sp and 357 Magnum. Based on pencil testing, this batch is somewhere in the 8 to 12 BHN range.

Unless you want to pay a premium, sources of pure and/or soft lead seem to be much easier to find than harder lead. I recommend that you do not "waste" your stash of harder lead trying to get bullets that are harder than they really need to be. Save the harder lead as much as possible and only blend it in when really needed. It will be worth the effort over the long run.
    Last edited by P Flados; 11-13-2021 at 02:19 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

First, let me tell you, even though you've cast pistol boolits with a hard alloy for 40 years, doesn't mean you have to continue.
    Most range scrap, will be an adequate alloy for most pistol boolits.
    OK, with my thoughts on that is out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    SNIP>>>

Thoughts?
    So you don't want to use Lino?
    I'm confused, what do you have besides Lino, to add to your mystery hardness range scrap?

The range scrap I scrounge is around 9 to 10 Bhn. If I was trying to match the hard alloy you are using, I'd add 2 lbs of Lino to 5 lbs of that 9 to 10 Bhn range scrap.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

If you buy name brand swaged pistol bullets, they're going to be more or less pure Lead.
    They do fine for .45ACP, .38Spec., etc. at paper punching speeds around 1,000 fps or so.
    I cast mine for doing that as soft as what casts & fills the mold out easily.

For 2,000 fps or so rifle ammo, I get a little more scientific on mixing up my dwindling supply of 'goodies' and hard Lead.
    That concept may work for you in conserving your hard alloys.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I am confused to on what you ant to do.have lino and dont want to use it.so what are you going to do get some super hard.
    I spent alot of time melting lead and useing my LBT hardness tester.Then remelting to get what wanted takes some time but works.The problem is the time and burning up alot of propane.There use to be a few people here that would test samples of your lead then you would have a good idea of the content.It is easy from there just plug the content into the lead calculator and mix what you need.

Boolit Master
    I would get "mystery scrap" tested. It can be anything.

I have also tested my ww stash, mono stash, now got some lino and pure to test. A small price for a peace of mind.

Testing also revealed a contaminant in my WW , (Niobium) that explained my difficulties with certain Hi Tek colours.

Boolit Buddy
    The lead I scavenge off our outdoor range is about 1/3 each cast pistol, jacketed pistol, and jacketed rifle, the resulting cast bullets testing at about 8 bhn or similar to stick on wheel weights in hardness. I use it for pistol and low velocity rifle bullets without additional hardening.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rmark View Post
    The lead I scavenge off our outdoor range is about 1/3 each cast pistol, jacketed pistol, and jacketed rifle, the resulting cast bullets testing at about 8 bhn...
    My experience is pretty much the same as previous posters. I "mined" our club range berms for several years and, after 'smelting' and fluxing', hardness of my ingots fell into a very consistent 8-10 Bhn. Before I began powder-coating, my 'pistol' alloy was 3 parts range scrap to 1 part COWW plus 2% Sn. Used this for everything from paper-punching .38 WCs to 'hardball' IPSC 'major' .45 ACPS. For anything 'hotter'...like IHMSA revolver loads...the mix was 2 parts range scrap, 1 part COWW, 1 part Lino, 2% 50/50 solder.

Now, with powder-coating and my IHMSA days far behind, my mix is more like straight range scrap plus 2% Sn for anything under 1100 fps...which covers about 98% of my needs.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 11-14-2021 at 12:56 PM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

I keep my lead sorted by hardness. Then i use a simple mixing cross to figure out how much of two different alloys to mix to make a target bhn allow.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y0raK6_Vbk

Easy peasy and tells you how many pounds of the two sources to mix for your target alloy.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast