Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
PBcastco RotoMetals2

Thread: lee crimp die question

lee crimp die question

i use a lee factory crimp die fo the 375win i got an i just mentioned in another thread how darn i can put a crimp on a round with it... an how i close the press 2 or 3 times as i rotate the case to really be sure its tight...
    got me qondering.

this can cause different tension for sure? doesnt that mean slightly different pressure build up possibility? doesnt that mean slightly less accurate ? each round variance.

would make sense with my targets i rekon, as not every round is crimped to a similiar 'tightness' i just slam it closed a few times!

thanks
    Model 94 XTR .375win (38-55+p) - Australian Sambar Deer Hunter.

Moderator Emeritus

Crimping has always had a bit of a mysterious element to me, too! What I've "picked up" thru the years include all case lengths needing to be exactly the same length to insure all get equal crimping. Further, a regular "rhythm" or practice needs be employed to provide same amount of crimp to each case. Of course, different alloys/hardness of brass being used kind of messes with this.
    I was totally "made happy" when I discovered the Lee Factory Crimp dies -- the answer to all my crimping insecurities -- and, bion, I now have 22 of them!
    What I have been doing is making sure the four pieces in the die -- looking down from above it -- do in fact move when your press handle is at maximum bottom. Movement of these is necessary to execute any crimping. Remember, though, that once all four sections are tight against each other -- that's all she wrote. MAXIMUM crimping. Anyhoos, I adjust Lee factory crimp die to jussst move them in an amount (subjective) I can see -- and that's not only what I use -- but "works for me!".
    I hope I helped...
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    I think as long as you clean the collet fingers and make sure everything is free to move when the shell holder makes contact, you should be okay. I do not think A Lee Factory crimp is necessary, nor does it need to be as tight as you can make it.

I have used a Lee FCD to make one dummy round in .38-55 shortly after I bought a rather large lot of .38-55 reloading gear. That is to date the only time I have used one.

All of my loading dies for lever action cartridges are other makes, that have a standard roll crimp shoulder inside the seating die. It works for me, I see no reason to change.

Robert

Boolit Bub

I haven't found that I have to rotate the case and crimp several times to get an even crimp. I make sure all my cases are the same length and press once and always get an even all around crimp.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I love my lee factory crimp collet dies. I normally crimp, rotate a quarter turn, and crimp again. I do it just to make sure it’s evenly crimped to go over where the collets lined up from the first crimp. Don’t know it if it helps but I do it for my avatar load group. Before I switched to the lee collet crimps I shot minute of pie plate at 100 yards. Now I shoot sub MOA with cast boolits out of my rifles.

I have them and use them, and like them a lot....but the consistency you're looking for is only going to come from brass the same length and with the same neck thickness. I'm convinced neck tension is one of the most critical elements to shooting small groups, and no matter of crimping will actually change that. I like the Lee FCD for certain applications (i.e. semi-autos and lever guns) ....but if all the other elements aren't right at the neck, then I don't believe it will improve accuracy... IME.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Buddy
    ^^^ this.
    I have played a lot with neck tension without crimping, and there are noticeable differences in accuracy. Single loaded rounds, I just close down the flare enough.

Boolit Master

Don't use them, Don't like them.
    I use a std RCBS 2 die set with a double locking ring on the seating stem, and a Redding "no crimp" ring. I have a perfect crimp every time. I just have take a few SECONDS to adjust the die.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Much of my loading is for hunting ammo used in leverguns so I always use the Lee fcd. I find it is pretty foolproof.

Of my rifle rounds, I only crimp 38-55 and 44-40 and I just use the regular seating die. I've used the FCD before, and it worked fine.
    From .30 Carbine to .375 H&H - no crimp needed.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Yep I’m with trails4u. I went from shooting pie plate groups to sub MOA with the exact same loads just buy switching from a roll crimp to a lee factory collet crimp. I own one for every rifle caliber I cast for. Also bought one in 243 for my ARs. I also use one on my 35 Rem and 35 whelen j word loads.

Quote Originally Posted by HD.375 View Post
    i use a lee factory crimp die fo the 375win i got an i just mentioned in another thread how darn i can put a crimp on a round with it... an how i close the press 2 or 3 times as i rotate the case to really be sure its tight...
    got me qondering.

this can cause different tension for sure? doesnt that mean slightly different pressure build up possibility? doesnt that mean slightly less accurate ? each round variance.

would make sense with my targets i rekon, as not every round is crimped to a similiar 'tightness' i just slam it closed a few times!

thanks
    You can easily dial in your neck tension and crimp, with Lee collet & factory crimp dies using the consistent crimp bar.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee Factory Crimp, but have used various other dies (Pacific, Herter's, RCBS) for 30-30, 32 Special, 35 Rem and 45-70. Careful trimming to insure case length is the same, using one brand or lot of cases and maybe annealing all help keeping neck tension/bullet pull consistent. Seating the bullet straight in a SQUARED case neck without damage is the first step, using an 'M' type expander. A simple flare MAY work OK, but if you are scraping lead, your crimp is not the problem. The Lee Factory Crimp is simple to adjust and works well, BUT with careful adjustment other dies crimp just fine. Uniform case length and square case mouths are very important to good crimps. Whenever I see the word SLAM in reloading advice, I flinch.

Boolit Grand Master

I honestly believe that crimping and rotating 90 degrees gives a more consistent and evenly applied crimp . I do it when I seat a boolit and when I crimp them ...
    regardless of what type crimp die I use and I always seat and crimp in two separate steps .

Come to think of it ... When Full Length Re-Sizing , I size the case , rotate the case 90 degrees and run it back into the full length sizing die .
    My best friends Dad instructed he and I in how to reload and this was something he did in striving for consistency ...this was 1960's ... and tools were much less precise , dies and single stage C weren't held to super tight tolerances and he believed it helped ...
    ... I guess you tend to do things as you were taught .

One thing ... it can't hurt to rotate ... I say ... Keep On Keeping On !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"