Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USFA Revolver

Boolit Master

USFA Revolver

LGS has a really nice USFA Mfg. Co. .45 Colt single action army revolver up for sale. SN 58XXX.
    I know nothing about these, but it sure looks like a quality gun. What can you all tell me about it???

Boolit Buddy
    They are quality guns. They were built in the old Colt factory in Hartford. Fit and finish are excellent. I have heard they also performed custom shop work as well. They have been out of business for 10 years or so now. The prices on auction sites for them have been steadily rising over the years as well. Not sure what the price is but if reasonable I doubt you'd be disappointed in it.

By the way, I do a lot of canoe trips out your way. Put in on the Delaware on the PA side across the river from Callicoon and float down to Cochecton.

Boolit Grand Master

Made in the old Colt factory to better tolerances, fit and finish than the Gen 3 Colts of the same time. The owner was rich and was interested in this type of firearm but apparently a bit of a flake. He ultimately produced very high end products but he got bored and started producing weird zip guns. https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gu...usfa-zip-22lr/. Rumor has it the employees showed up one day and were informed the days of the 1911's. 1873's and Colt lightening's was over via a note on a locked door. The only production was the zip guns and their services were no longer needed.

http://www.louiscandell.com/pdf/fire...fa_catalog.pdf from what's in this catalog to that stupid zip gun?????????? Unbelievable but true.

https://guns.fandom.com/wiki/U.S._Fi...NC%20machinery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._F...turing_Company

At one time the higher end USFA models were selling for more than Gen 3 Colt 1873's. I have not looked at price in several years so that may have changed. They did make some economy models for cowboy action shooter called the Rodeo and the Cowboy. Rodeo's do not demand the high prices last time I checked. The also made some real nice original type 1911's and a Colt lighting rifle.

Turnbull did the color case on the higher end ones.

I have a pair of Turnball cased premium 1873's with consecutive serial numbers and 45 Colt/45 ACP cylinders.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-12-2021 at 05:09 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned

ive seen handled and shot them and there a piece of art. You have a beautiful set m-tec

Banned

The few I’ve handled have been excellent quality!

Boolit Buddy
    I purchased a 45 Colt Rodeo new. I still have it. It is as fine a revolver as any I have owned. And I love the matte finish.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	291602
    Last edited by tejano; 11-12-2021 at 09:57 AM. Reason: add pic

Vendor Sponsor

If it's a well made one like a Colt, not one of their less expensive cowboy action models, might want to sail over there and snatch that one up! Pics please?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master
    Unless it is crazy money, that gun would come home with me. The USFA guns are superior to most of the stuff that comes out of the Colt factory. In fact, they were better than most guns colt EVER produced. I wanted one in 38 Special, but dallied too long in placing my order, and never got one. My good buddy, Rick, now sadly passed on, had a pair in 45 Colt that were his dress up guns for CAS. They were gorgeous and shot straight. I'd expect to pay right at $2,000 for one these days, maybe more for a primo piece in minty condition.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    They were beautifully made guns... I visited the factory a couple of times and they were were super nice people to deal with. Took me right into the heart of the factory and turned me over to one of their top gunsmiths who fixed my gun while I watched...

The guns made "under the dome" in Hartford were made from a lot of parts from Uberti in Italy. Later they moved to a metal building off Airport Road in Hartford and all the guns there were made of 100% USA made parts.

There are a couple of guys over on the Single Action Forums who can tell you which guns are which. The later made guns bring more money than Uberti parts guns...

Bob

I bought my dad one for his retirement. Case colors by Turnbull and a beautiful polished blue on the remainder. They are exceptional.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Master
    .22/.22 Magnum Flat Top Target

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    .22/.22 Magnum Flat Top Target

Definitely a beauty!

Boolit Master

Thanks every one for your responses.
    The gun I'm looking at has a mat finish with a patina that makes it look old. 5 1/2" barrel in 45 Colt. Everything locks up nice & tight. It's been shot. Think I'll go back for a closer inspection, run a patch through the bore, and go from there. Asking price is $800.
    I gather that they started out with Uberti parts and then transitioned to all USA made.
    At serial number 58XXX, would that be an all USA made gun?

Boolit Grand Master

I had one of the early USFA Colt copies, and it was beautifully made and finished. However, I am a shooter and not really a collector, and mine was a copy of a First Generation Colt with those horrible first generation sights. I even contacted the company and talked to their service department about the sights. While they were deciding which way to go regarding my sight "problem", the company folded. I got rid of it. Some of later ones had excellent fixed sights and I would have considered them "keepers", but by that time I had replaced that single action with a Ruger Vaquero that had excellent fixed sights and shot to the sights. I still have the Ruger!

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master
    Uberti parts will be under USPFA as that is what they started out as but I think Colt sued and they had to change to USFA. I had a pair of .44-40's till my son started using them in SASS and they went missing on me. At the time I bought mine they were hands down better than Colts. Good high finished is going $2000-$2400, Rodio's (mate finished) are over a $1000 now.

Boolit Master

Well, I went back this afternoon, checked it out closely. It's in absolutely pristine condition. It came home with me.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
    Well, I went back this afternoon, checked it out closely. It's in absolutely pristine condition. It came home with me.
    Good decision and congratulations. For that price I think you got a steal. Check out some of the onlne auction prices.

I've owned two all-USA produced USFA's, both in 45 Colt. Both were beautiful, carefully fitted revolvers, built as Colt's should be, that shot extremely well. But, they were no more accurate than my Uberti's. That said, if you desire a really nice revolver, snatch it up!

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Would love to see a photo when you can!

Boolit Master

Can anybody recommend a favorite load? I've got plenty of H&G 68 boolets, and just received a Lee 452-255-RF mold. Have Bullseye & Unique powder on the shelf. Also a little Alcan #7, 2400, 231 left over to try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast