Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally saw the new Bronco in person.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Parson View Post
    I’m on my second Ridgeline, Iv had worse, for a midsize all wheel drive it’s ok
    I gotta think that they are as reliable as every other Honda, just more of a city/grocery vehicle than a pickup. I’d love to find a moderately sized truck w/4wd, even the small F150 or Tacoma are fluffed up in size these days.

Boolit Master

I once had a similarly-dimensioned vintage Land Cruiser, and friends have assorted Jeeps. While the short wheelbases are great for getting places that the wise would probably say you shouldn't go, they don't do a very good job of carrying the things you want to have when you get there. The full-size pickups that do unfortunately tend to contact the ground far too often. The old Blazer and maybe the new Tahoe could be the answer, though I'm uncertain about them being excessively wide.

So probably a 4-Runner if I did anything like that at all. Probably about the best compromise.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I would NOT buy a Chevy Volt... they are going up in flames...been a couple recalls for it, only real fix is a new battery, the cells they used are cheap junk
    I think you might be thinking of the Chevy Bolt. It is all electric. The Volt is a hybrid. I have been a GM tech since 2005 and HV certified since 2008. I have seen few Volt batteries replaced, sometimes just one cell. Battery replacement will begin to be more common in the Volt though as most are old enough to be reaching the end of their service life. They do have a 10 year warranty on the high voltage system components.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I gotta think that they are as reliable as every other Honda, just more of a city/grocery vehicle than a pickup. I’d love to find a moderately sized truck w/4wd, even the small F150 or Tacoma are fluffed up in size these days.
    What I call a city homeowner handyman truck. Can haul branches to your city collection site, pickup materials for small repair jobs etc. I want to test drive the new Ford Maverick pickup, based on the Ford Escape chassis and I own a 2017 Escape and am happy with performance and capability so far. It has forded the creek after going down the rutted out muddy road to get to a fishing spot so the 4WD is capable of minor off road use. Has basically the same ground clearance (within 1/4 inch) of what my F150 had.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I think you might be thinking of the Chevy Bolt. It is all electric. The Volt is a hybrid. I have been a GM tech since 2005 and HV certified since 2008. I have seen few Volt batteries replaced, sometimes just one cell. Battery replacement will begin to be more common in the Volt though as most are old enough to be reaching the end of their service life. They do have a 10 year warranty on the high voltage system components.
    oops yup! Bolt's are bursting into flames, has started some house fires, burned other cars in parking lots... total meltdown of the battery packs.

I miss my older bronco's and have been waiting for the new ones to come out ever since they stopped back in 96. Having looked at the new ones and what they're selling for, I'd get a restored 78-96 before buying one of the new grocery getters.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    Having looked at the new ones and what they're selling for, I'd get a restored 78-96 before buying one of the new grocery getters.
    The new Bronco is surprisingly capable off-road and performs better than the old full-size Bronco due to increased articulation and traction, as well as superior approach and departure angles.

Attachment 291661
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    How many ways can a dealer rip you off?
    Nitrogen in the tires?
    Delivery fee?
    Dealer prep?
    Life insurance in case you die,The car gets paid off?
    Extended warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    The new Bronco is surprisingly capable off-road and performs better than the old full-size Bronco due to increased articulation and traction, as well as superior approach and departure angles.

Attachment 291661
    I've seen the reviews, looked at them in person and would rather buy another older one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    I've seen the reviews, looked at them in person and would rather buy another older one.
    Those wheels look fine...

I agree that a full-size '96 Bronco with the 351W would be a great vehicle and much more reliable than the new junk. But from the videos I've seen of the new stock Broncos with the Sasquatch package, they are very capable off-road.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Super Moderator

............In 2019 the wife and I bought a new Ford Ranger, and traded in a Ford Sport Trac, which I DEARLY loved. Probably one of the best vehicles I'd ever owned. I had 160K miles on it, and did have to have the trans gone through but other then that, no prob. Being 68 years old it's a bit off putting to realize they're now building cars/trucks that the manufacturer "Doesn't really want you to work on". But first up and foremost, I am VERY impressed by the Ranger. It's one up from a baseline stripper.

My biggest peeve is the idea of a capless fuel filler. You get a plastic funnel deal for administering additives, which I do at every fill up. I REALLY wish Ford had that stuck up their ...................er, where the sun don't shine. What a pain in the tookus. Other then that and a couple little other minor irritations (Auto Engine Kill at a stop) which I worked around, it's actually a nice ride. Very quiet, very responsive, comfortable seats, nice sound system, etc.

Without further complaining it's just gonna be what it is. Nowadays you pop the hood and the engine is covered in various LAYERS of crap you have to remove to get at consumables, like hoses and belts etc. So right now I like it and no issues/problems. We'll see. Could be those old cast iron motored 'Barn Pickups' could very well be worth their weight in gold.

...........Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Attachment 291680

I had a 1956 Ford Pickup whose front end looked just like that -
    At 15 years old, I used to come hauling around the corner onto the street we lived on, going way too fast, and then pop it into first gear and drop the clutch to execute a sliding, chirping stop at the curb right in front of my house!
    ...until one evening when that maneuver initiated the tie rod to turn into a u-shape, and I ended up on the front lawn - inches from the porch!!!
    My Dad wasn't impressed........

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by obssd1958 View Post
    Attachment 291680

I had a 1956 Ford Pickup whose front end looked just like that -
    At 15 years old, I used to come hauling around the corner onto the street we lived on, going way too fast, and then pop it into first gear and drop the clutch to execute a sliding, chirping stop at the curb right in front of my house!
    ...until one evening when that maneuver initiated the tie rod to turn into a u-shape, and I ended up on the front lawn - inches from the porch!!!
    My Dad wasn't impressed........
    I have similar stories involving a 1961 Ford Ranchwagon...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ............In 2019 the wife and I bought a new Ford Ranger, and traded in a Ford Sport Trac, which I DEARLY loved. Probably one of the best vehicles I'd ever owned. I had 160K miles on it, and did have to have the trans gone through but other then that, no prob. Being 68 years old it's a bit off putting to realize they're now building cars/trucks that the manufacturer "Doesn't really want you to work on". But first up and foremost, I am VERY impressed by the Ranger. It's one up from a baseline stripper.

My biggest peeve is the idea of a capless fuel filler. You get a plastic funnel deal for administering additives, which I do at every fill up. I REALLY wish Ford had that stuck up their ...................er, where the sun don't shine. What a pain in the tookus. Other then that and a couple little other minor irritations (Auto Engine Kill at a stop) which I worked around, it's actually a nice ride. Very quiet, very responsive, comfortable seats, nice sound system, etc.

Without further complaining it's just gonna be what it is. Nowadays you pop the hood and the engine is covered in various LAYERS of crap you have to remove to get at consumables, like hoses and belts etc. So right now I like it and no issues/problems. We'll see. Could be those old cast iron motored 'Barn Pickups' could very well be worth their weight in gold.

...........Buckshot
    my last two trucks a silverado and the ram i have now both have those capless gas fills. I kind of like them. But then i dont do additives.

Wifeypoo was mildly interested in the new Bronco but sticker shock,zapped her back into reality. Without too much effort,sorta chose a used Mazda CX-5 for her to check out.

I'd done enough research that I felt a used version would make her a decent ride? So we're going out on a rare date a month ago and on a big new car dealership,there sits an '18. Didn't want black but said,let's at least go look at it.... sure says she.

Pull in,look at the sticker on the window. 66k on mileage, $25k on the price. That's what it sold for in '18?

She/we "were" looking for a 3rd vehicle. You know,old folks.... only drive it once in awhile. Go visit Gbabies and excursion driving. Looks like that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. I offered to "build" her one but she said no. Just wanted a nice little,new Bronco. Ain't paying that kind of money though.

I just sold a 2014 Mitsubishi Lancer to a dealer. It was a base model I bought for 7,700 3 years ago and the dealer bought it for 7,200. They didn't even lift the hood and I didn't have to mess with selling it privately.

$66K for a new Bronco? That's close to a fully restored '70s Bronco. I wonder which one would be better for off road?
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Moderator Emeritus

Already seeing aftermarket suspension upgrades for the new Bronco's. Some more robust front end parts would make it pretty good offroad but the axles may be a weak point...

My wife ordered one before she ordered my new truck. Truck took 3 months to get here not sure when the bronco will be here.

Personally, they remind me of the Bronco II.

She had told me she might sell it, at the time they were going for $20k over sticker.

Quote Originally Posted by Shopdog View Post
    Wifeypoo was mildly interested in the new Bronco but sticker shock,zapped her back into reality. Without too much effort,sorta chose a used Mazda CX-5 for her to check out.

I'd done enough research that I felt a used version would make her a decent ride? So we're going out on a rare date a month ago and on a big new car dealership,there sits an '18. Didn't want black but said,let's at least go look at it.... sure says she.

Pull in,look at the sticker on the window. 66k on mileage, $25k on the price. That's what it sold for in '18?

She/we "were" looking for a 3rd vehicle. You know,old folks.... only drive it once in awhile. Go visit Gbabies and excursion driving. Looks like that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. I offered to "build" her one but she said no. Just wanted a nice little,new Bronco. Ain't paying that kind of money though.
    I bought a 2016 a year ago. Searched for a good while, found one with just under 30k miles on it. Still almost new. $22k. I've gone about 15k miles and I do like it. drives well, 29mpg most of the time. Just 2wd, not the fake awd which really isnt all wheel drive. Rear gets about 20% of the power, max

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    If you cannot place a 4'x8' sheet of plywood into the bed, it AIN'T a truck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12