Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 Colt reloading question

Boolit Master

I’m sure a FCD die is the best way to got but I get a solid crimp, correct seat depth and very good accuracy with a 45 LC Lee 3 die set, seating and crimping on the same stroke. You will waste a few bullets setting the dies up but compared to going through the process of resetting the seat stem and crimp depth every time you load a batch, it’s a no brainer, to me anyway. The Lee instructions give the procedure but you’ve got to go through the adjustment process and figure on pulling a few bullets before you get it right.
    If you’re like me 99% of your reloads are for target shooting and/or plinking and use the same bullet and COL. So my dies get set one time, period. I’ll load 500 round at a sitting and get consistent length and crimp batch to batch. I have four turrets for my one press, each turret holds 6 dies so each turret loads two different cartridges. Once they’re set the dies never get adjusted. For me an inconsistent crimp can only occur if the length of my brass is inconsistent. By sticking to one head stamp of brass that doesn’t happen. If case lengths vary a mill or two seating depth stays the same but your crimp will change because a short case won’t go into the crimp die as far. Set & forget is my motto unless I change bullets.

Boolit Master
    If I’m applying a roll crimp into a groove I do it with the seating die. The case mouth is hanging over the groove not touching the bullet, it’s the perfect time to apply the roll crimp. Only issue is if case length varies, but that’d be no different if doing it as a separate step.

FWIW, I apply a taper crimp in a separate step because I find that thick brass (in mixed brass) can cause too much taper and that can damage the bullet.

Boolit Mold
    I started reloading .45 Colt in 1974 using a lee 3 die set. Many thousands of rounds have gone down the pipes in my 4 Colt revolvers with outstanding results.

All my .45 boolets have a cannelure or crimping groove. The seating die / combo roll crimper is what you need. If you use a straight walled bullet with no groove, or if you are shooting a semi, then a FCD with a taper crimp would be better. Regardless, with a "proper" technique the seating die will be just fine.

I bought a Lee 4-die set once, just to try the FCD. Used it once. Performance no different. Just takes longer. Never used it a second time.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Also, the 45 Colt cartridge actually has a slight taper to it. If you FL size with a carbide die you will be sizing the bottom half of the case to much. With light loads the case will not obturate. With heavier loads the over working of the brass will shorten case life. If just shooting the 45 Colts through the marlin try backing the FL die out to just size the case to the seating depth of the bullet.
    100% correct

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Many of the Marlin .45 Colt lever rifles have huge chambers which do not permit expanding the brass to seal the chamber in standard pressure loads. Mine will accept as-cast and unsized bullets from Accurate 45-290H mold at .455 diameter in 1 to 30 tin-lead alloy from Roto Metals and Starline brass seals the chambers well with 7.5 grains of Bullseye, which I shoot also in my Colt New Service, Ruger Vaquero and Cimarron Pistolero l. Also accurate in my Rossi '92 clone.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I don't use Lee dies, their Carbide sizers reduce the case dramatically.
    An old steel Lyman AA set works great for loading accurate loads. Love the M-Die. I have both RCBS & Lyman Carbide sets.
    Both Lyman & RCBS give you SWC & RN seating stems. Between the two they'll handle just about any bullet profile.
    I consider the Lee fcd an Abomination. And no I'm not a Lee hater, I have at least a dozen or more molds going back 40yrs.

I would follow Outpost75's advice before all others.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

It's no abomination if you understand when and how to use it correctly. I can understand someone not liking it if they didn't know how , when, or why to possibly use it.

The LEE Carbide Factory Crimp Die has the "ring" .... the LEE Factory Crimp Die is a collet style (stab crimp) .... BIG difference. Once the naysayers that trash the FCD understand the difference, there may not be quite as much hate and discontent.

just my opinions

jd

Boolit Master

Yup.. And the lee die with the carbide sizer...the sizer ring can be easily removed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12