Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Useless hobbies?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    Hobbies I have never done and never will. GOLF, Tennis, Basket ball, Baseball, Football (American), Hockey, Car racing, Walking through a Mall
    No football, hockey, or racing? What the heck kind of northern Minnesotan are you?

Boolit Master

In my opinion any hobby that gives pleasure, passes the time, produces something useful or stimulates the mind is not useless. One of the early ways I learned problem solving was building flying model airplanes followed by street rods as I got older. That kind of skill building lasts a lifetime.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

No such thing as a useless hobby. They are very beneficial for health and keeping your mind sharp. There are Lots of hobbies others engage in which don’t interest me, but overall if they keep you active mentally and physically it os a good thing.
    Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you.

Boolit Master

Useless hobbies??

A starter marriage.

Decades of separating and saving silver dimes, quarters, half dollars, wheat pennies, silver certificates, $2 bills, silver dollars, thinking one day I'll hit the "jackpot" as inflatiron rises, the government prints dollar bills like toilet paper, and money ain't worth squat anymore.

401k savings over 30 years that won't put food on the table for 2 in retirement.

Hobby farming as food plotting for wildlife that is either destroyed year after year by drought, flood, fire, hurricane, or the deer eat everything to the dirt line before opening day...also poachers.

Amassing an armory of significant wealth, dying, and leaving your spouse to dispose of it for dimes on the dollar
    Last edited by Land Owner; 11-11-2021 at 11:53 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

My hobby used to be yard sale-ing. I used to be really serious. I would have a list of 30 or so addresses, plan a route, go to sales early, ask the sellers for specific list of items including lead. It wasn't totally useless, I resold and most everything I own was obtained at garage/yard/estate sales, most of the time I was wearing clothes found at the sales.

I don't go early anymore due to the crowds and covid.

We may go to one or two if they are close and of interest.

The expectation of finding anything of value has usually passed by the time we get there. There is a new group competitors too.

Still enjoyable but I focus on finding seemingly useless stuff. I like finding old metal funnels. Nothing makes me happier than coming home with a flexible spouted galvanize funnel, except for one with a brass screen in the bottom. The reason I say useless stuff is that I already have a collection of them. Who really needs 17 old metal funnels.

My wife is the same way with tupperware.

Boolit Master
    I used to collect polished spheres of various minerals. Also exotic wood boxes.

The boxes now gather dust on shelves and the balls are in a shoebox in a closet somewhere. I only remember the names of two of the minerals and one of the wood types.

Now I cast , load and shoot. I read a lot more now that I’ve retired. Still like learning stuff. Will travel with the wife when it’s easier to do.

Boolit Master
    For a while I really got into rubiks cubes. I don't have much time for "useless" hobbies with two young boys in the house, and a very busy wife.

One of my obsessions is traditional archery. It's probably the least productive hobby I have because I don't general have time to shoot tournaments, I can't shoot in my yard, and rarely get the chance to hunt with them. I do get to shoot indoors in the winter at my local club one night a week. Most of my hunting lately is done with a long range rifle, because meat in the freezer quickly is more important than time away from my family.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

I don't consider any of my hobbies as useless, because they either give me relaxation, education, or food, so while some can get rather expensive, as I always take things to the extreme in research and equipment until I get proficient at it. Sometimes, it ends up never being used beyond learning how, which my wife would say it was useless, but I would argue her hobbies can be described likewise.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    Ive been into RC vehicles off and on over the years, buggies, monster trucks, trail trucks, nitro hydroplanes, had a 1/5 scale two stroke buggy, some helicopters. I have a couple of vehicles and a motorcycle that I enjoy. Recently Ive gotten into a compound bow and a crossbow that I love shooting. I like target shooting, squirrel and deer hunting. I don't necessarily think they're useless. Learned a lot of skills and knowledge through them.

Aside from shooting of course, I like metal working, repairing/fabricating, gardening, taking care of my property, firewood (yes its a hobby!) Oil lamps and lanterns, fishing and a little hunting. I used to do ham radio but Im getting too asocial for that.
    I think videogaming is pointless but whatever floats your goat.

Boolit Grand Master

Bathing and doing Laundry

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tankgunner59 View Post
    … but I don't get the constant fixation on them, it gets boring real fast.
    The modern video game is like a drug to some. People can plunge themselves into a “life” where they can be something extraordinary. Games have become so deep that people can lose themselves into a fantasy world where they are a supernaturally talented or skilled and there are no permanent consequences for decisions or failure. They can turn off the real world and step into an alternate and generally “better” reality. In games you may lose or die, but only because you haven’t found the trick to win yet and you can just try again and again until you succeed. You have lost nothing but time, and if you’re this deep into a game, time in the real world is irrelevant anymore anyway.

This is the draw to gaming. A chance to escape reality and become exceptional… all while neglecting everything that is actually important. And when the game is finally turned off you have nothing to show for it.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by pete501 View Post
    My hobby used to be yard sale-ing. I used to be really serious. I would have a list of 30 or so addresses, plan a route, go to sales early, ask the sellers for specific list of items including lead. It wasn't totally useless, I resold and most everything I own was obtained at garage/yard/estate sales, most of the time I was wearing clothes found at the sales.

I don't go early anymore due to the crowds and covid.

We may go to one or two if they are close and of interest.

The expectation of finding anything of value has usually passed by the time we get there. There is a new group competitors too.

Still enjoyable but I focus on finding seemingly useless stuff. I like finding old metal funnels. Nothing makes me happier than coming home with a flexible spouted galvanize funnel, except for one with a brass screen in the bottom. The reason I say useless stuff is that I already have a collection of them. Who really needs 17 old metal funnels.

My wife is the same way with tupperware.
    I'm a bit of a yard sale addict, too. I've gotten more selective, and will only go to ones at old farms, ranches, or older houses. The ones in newer housing complexes are loaded with kid clothes and toys, and worthless junk. I find some real gems at old farms and ranches.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Nothing is useless if it keeps your mind working and body moving after retirement.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Bathing and doing Laundry

Gary
    Please remind prospective visitors how long it has been since either of these happened.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I've been accused of collecting expensive and time consuming hobbies as my hobby.

I used to read a lot, but these days it's mostly audio books in the car.

I stated playing music as a kid, and was actually singing on stage starting in elementary school. I had bands in middle school and high school, and played regularly with one band or another into my early 40's. Music was never a hobby to me, it's just part of who I am.

I've always made things. Woodworking, simple machines, stuff like that. I've been in software my entire adult life, so I build all kinds of little electronic devices. Working on a sensor for my brother's wood shop vacuum system right now, to tell him when the sawdust bucket is full. I built an arcade system with 50 classic arcade games with the right emulators for them all, so I can play Pac-Man and Joust and stuff. I just build things as I think of them.

I was taking photography seriously for a while. I played with wildlife photography, macro photography, I shot a couple friends' weddings, did some model work, etc. I got pretty good, but it's been a while and my gear is pretty out of date now.

I kept and bred snakes for about a decade. Mostly Australian carpet pythons, but also a few other species. Also geckos. I kept and bred rare geckos from Madagascar for a while. I still have one snake, one of the babies I hatched and sold to a friend of my brother's, who then a few years later got married and had kids, and the wife said "no snakes" so he gave her back to me.

I've been reloading for years, and then started casting a couple years ago.

I keep bees. That's fairly new, only about a year now.

I've been growing a garden for decades now. Mostly tomatoes, peppers, and herbs, but sometimes cantaloupe, watermelon, pumpkins, green beans, peas, etc.

I still have a dozen more hobbies I intend to pick up. So maybe they're right: I collect expensive and time consuming hobbies as a hobby.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have a lathe and have become highly successful in turning chunks of wood into shavings.

Under water basket weaving. No i will stick to reloading and shooting.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    Under water basket weaving.
    Maybe you can combine that with gwpercle bathing and laundry hobby.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

It was building or restoring vintage BMX but it's 1000% golf now. I'm hooked.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast