Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Useless hobbies?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    GasGuzzler . . . . to each their own and I say that with respect . . . . I have a cousin who lives for golf too . .. he would play it 24 hour a day if he could ... . .

I tried it once but it just didn't turnkey wheels . . . I mean . . . you've got this itty bitty little ball and you whack it with a sticks you can chase, and once you catch up, you whack it again and chase it some more . . . seems to me it would be a lot more efficient to just shoot the darn thing and get it over with and let it lay . . . . and I'm guessing that a lot of folks who do it probably think like me based on my experience of trying it a few times . . . seems like I would watch some fella whack that little ole ball and for some reason . . . there would be a lot of swearing. I saw a guy hit one once and it flew into a pond . . . he cussed up a storm and I was thinking he should have been happy 'cause it would drown and he wouldn't have to chase it anymore.

Boolit Master
    I feel like most sports are pointless and arbitrary... I really fail to understand why anyone cares about watching them unless they have a kid on the team, and I feel like physical activity could be better achieved hiking to see the world or doing something useful, like splitting wood.

Most TV/streaming shows are garbage and a complete waste of time.

Of course, I love many kinds of video games, so I'm some ways that makes me a huge hypocrite...
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

My most "useless" hobby is that I enjoy trying out different things... but bottom line, the "bring you pleasure" part is the only thing that counts for me in regards to my hobbies. Monetary or other value I might get out of my hobbies are unnecessary side effects.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Grand Master

My wife once described golf as a big man beating a little ball with a club. This was in a LGS to a news reporter. Her point was by how its descried any thing can be made to look violent and nasty by how its described.

The owner of the shop was a friend of the family and was laughing at the way she turned the table on him. Her segment never made it on the air LOL

Reloading and Shooting Are hobbies for me, When I ain't doing one or the other, I am usually either building something or reading a good book

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    The modern video game is like a drug to some. People can plunge themselves into a “life” where they can be something extraordinary. Games have become so deep that people can lose themselves into a fantasy world where they are a supernaturally talented or skilled and there are no permanent consequences for decisions or failure. They can turn off the real world and step into an alternate and generally “better” reality. In games you may lose or die, but only because you haven’t found the trick to win yet and you can just try again and again until you succeed. You have lost nothing but time, and if you’re this deep into a game, time in the real world is irrelevant anymore anyway.

This is the draw to gaming. A chance to escape reality and become exceptional… all while neglecting everything that is actually important. And when the game is finally turned off you have nothing to show for it.
    There is also a draw to games, like Real time strategy and 4X, where the units you control are quite unexceptional, in comparison to your foes. I suppose the fantasy portion of it is to be able to lead your ragtag gaggle of ships, swordsmen, or starships and the like to greatness. One of my favorites out of the genre is Kenshi, where you lead your scrappy team of swordsmen to domination through the hostile fantasy world you reside in.
    The good thing is that you don't have to make your stay permanent in its grim, cruel world...

Boolit Master
    I like to restore old stuff - guns, boats, and my latest - a carriage.
    I'm about 90% done with this (working on my front porch).
    Why? No idea. My house was built by a carriage maker.
    Before and now.

I have always been told by friends I have too many irons in the fire. 20 years ago that was absolutely true, I did everything for myself from building my house, building several cars, hunted , fished, had gardens with about everything my wife and I ate and canned, made wine, beer, did woodworking, built guns, rifle & pistol shooting, trap & skeet, reloading, and played a lot of golf. Between just me and the wife we had 6 vehicles and I did all of the repairs and maintenance on them and then one day out of the blue I had a heart attack. I remember the ambulance coming to my home and the next thing I remember was a doctor asking me if I had seen the light ???
    I guess they had to use the paddles several times on me to get me going again but I don’t remember a thing .

To make a long story short I recovered quickly and tried to go right back where I was for a short time until a friend gave me a important thing to think about. He said You know how many times you get to go around don’t you ?…..
    ONCE !
    From that day on I think a lot about what I really enjoy and what’s important and have given up a lot of those things and still am very active but I do have much less energy now so I am learning slowly to slow down some.

I have always loved buying, selling, trading guns since I have been a young kid. Now the hunt for unusual guns is as much fun as anything and my wife approves ! Modifying and refinishing guns is a main hobby, I still hunt fish and shoot but a little less and still play golf.
    This was kinda long winded but I feel sorry for some people who don’t have any hobbies !
    If you make it to retirement and then have nothing ??? I would just die I guess.

Jedman

I have many hobbies. Gunsmithing, blacksmithing, machining, reloading, shooting, woodworking, breadmaking, curing meat, whinemaking, beermaking, film photography, making black powder for shooting, weightlifting, running, knifemaking, making self bows...probably some i'm forgetting...none that I find useless really except maybe film photography...but not really...I don't know.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Playing elec guitar and Bass, might even learn to read music some da.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I like to restore old stuff - guns, boats, and my latest - a carriage.
    I'm about 90% done with this (working on my front porch).
    Why? No idea. My house was built by a carriage maker.
    Before and now.
    That sir is awesome !!! Where's the LIKE button !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by almar View Post
    I have many hobbies. Gunsmithing, blacksmithing, machining, reloading, shooting, woodworking, breadmaking, curing meat, whinemaking, beermaking, film photography, making black powder for shooting, weightlifting, running, knifemaking, making self bows...probably some i'm forgetting...none that I find useless really except maybe film photography...but not really...I don't know.
    You need to start keeping bees. Then you can add mead to the beer and wine. Plus there are dozens of things you can do with wax, and honey is an excellent sugar substitute.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    In the useless hobby category, GONRA wonders -
    has anyone checked out the Brits "Train Spotting"?
    Check it out.....

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I have a cousin who lives for golf too . .. he would play it 24 hour a day if he could ... . .

I tried it once but it just didn't turnkey wheels . . . I mean . . . you've got this itty bitty little ball and you whack it with a sticks you can chase, and once you catch up, you whack it again and chase it some more . . . seems to me it would be a lot more efficient to just shoot the darn thing and get it over with and let it lay . . . . and I'm guessing that a lot of folks who do it probably think like me based on my experience of trying it a few times . . . seems like I would watch some fella whack that little ole ball and for some reason . . . there would be a lot of swearing. I saw a guy hit one once and it flew into a pond . . . he cussed up a storm and I was thinking he should have been happy 'cause it would drown and he wouldn't have to chase it anymore.
    At my club we shoot 'em with muzzle loaders. A .54 cal round ball makes a hole about the size of a .22.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    Hobbies I have never done and never will. GOLF, Tennis, Basket ball, Baseball, Football (American), Hockey, Car racing, Walking through a Mall
    All of those are or have been hobbies of mine other than hockey since I'm a Texas lifer.

Banned

it was fishing for me. 80k (actually probably had more then a 100k into it) boat all the tackle and gear. a 100-150 bucks in gas a trip to catch a couple fish that at the time i could buy for 7 bucks a lb. Now fish goes for twice that and it still wouldnt pay. Sold my boat and buy fish at the fish market. I might buy a smaller boat that would be more practical and could be used on the small lakes and big one too and wouldnt cost me a 1/3 the gas those two 250 hp two strokes at. maybe a little 17 whaler with a 115 four stroke.

Boolit Master
    Recreational Earth Moving. Tractors are fun. I opened an old road and 6 months later I saw it from space, on Google Earth. You can play with boulders and fill in most of your mistakes.

I think lightman has a tractor and plants bird seed for free, I hope he's having fun!

The only useless part is bad timing. One amateur did a major grading of Apple Pie Ridge road 2 days before a big storm and everyone was stuck up to their axles in mud. We posted his phone at the bottom to make sure he got credit.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

My hobbies are weapons, reloading, hunting and every other day running 8 km. I do not consider these hobbies as useless, quite the contrary. Any hobby , makes me happy and makes me enjoy life. What I consider a waste of time is work, whose sole purpose is to make money. "Only the cheap is bought with money."
    "When the homeland is in danger, everything is allowed, except not to defend it."

Gral. Don José de San Martin.

Boolit Grand Master

Golf can get expensive to play decent courses here in the tri state area. But as my friend Slughammer always says, it’s cheaper than drag racing.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Recreational Earth Moving. Tractors are fun
    There was a place a few years ago where you could drive the big earth movers around just for fun. It might still exist, I'm not sure. Now, that'd be fun and useless. Sign me up.

found it:
    https://www.extremesandbox.com/

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast