Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Garage Sale Find

Banned

Garage Sale Find

Living in Waseca I had assumed that I would be finding Herter's stuff at garage sales, which turned out to be untrue. Till yesterday. I stopped in as I knew the fella running it had a tool box I "needed". We got to talking and the next thing I knew he was pulling out boxes and boxes of Herter's stuff.
    This is the only reloading items he had left, it's all for the 244 Remington rifle he had owned. Plus, two packs of Rem. percussion caps, one with a Herter's price tag still on it of 9.95.
    The powder can is full with the seal. Small pistol primers and some large rifle. Empty cases are primed. One of the loading blocks is a new one to me and will be set aside for the collection, the other two are Herter's. All the cases are headstamped 244 & Herter's

In addition, there is 14 Herter's catalogs spanning a range of Herter's presence in Waseca. There are two boxes of assorted papers covering Herter's operations and some products. All useful information that is becoming increasingly scarce.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211110_084139.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	291536

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211110_090110.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	291538

Way cool.
    It's real unusual to find really old or antique stuff here because the cities are rather new.
    It's not like other parts of the country where the towns were pretty big 100 years ago.

If your looking for some of Great Grand Pa's stuff---- its all back in Detroit, or New York state.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Great find! What were the mothball crystals used for, other than the usual thing?

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Vendor Sponsor

Funny thing I have 6 packs of Herters 209 primers that look exactly like those packs .. use them every year during muzzleloader season.
    Never had a misfire. Hunt with them every year.. killed 2 deer last year and 2 so far this muzzleloader season with them
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Nice find. I need to start hitting some yard sales.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Its too bad he didn't have some of the reloading componants for the 401 Power Mag. That would be a find.

Boolit Grand Master
    I sure miss Herter's. For a young guy, they offered some decent prices and I bought from them. Loved leafing through their catalogue and dreaming.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Those Herters primer boxes are sure pretty colored, and the paper wrapped cap packages are way cool! I spent a lot of time memorizing those old catalogs when I was a kid, even got to go to the Mitchell store a few times before it closed.

Boolit Master

I still have a lot of Herters stuff from back in the day.
    Mostly loading trays and ammo boxes.

Boolit Buddy
    Awesome! Congrats on a great haul! Incredible amount of reloading history there. Christmas comes early at the Pressman ranch.

I've come across very few original Herter's items over the years and treasure to ones I have. They bring back memories of looking through my fathers Herter's catalogs when I was a kid.

Isaac

Boolit Master

A "Perfect" find.

Boolit Master
    I started reloading in about 1971 with Herter's equipment and still have most of it. I have found some NOS Herter's brass at sales but sold most of it. Last I found was 99 pieces of NOS Herter's 6.5 X 55 brass. The boxes were a little rough but mostly intact. Also found two loading blocks like the one in front, one white and one red.

Great find !

Boolit Master

Neat find! Something like that is like finding a gold ring in the drawer, somewhere. I've stumbled on several "great finds" in my life. I've owned a lot of Herter's stuff and sold most of it. It is well made and substantial. I have plenty of "stuff", so I didn't need it. Some great finds there!
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.