RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: First try at cast in a 223 Rem. round.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico

First try at cast in a 223 Rem. round.

Well, after some casting, heat treating, powder coating, gas checkin’,( not in that particular order), I finally assembled some test rounds.

55 grain Lee boolit, sized to .225”, CCI SR primer, a healthy load of AA2520 ball powder, and I’ll set the final coal when I do the chronograph testing.

I hope they are accurate! The powder load might overrun the alloy,( ww with 2% tin heat treated),but testing will tell the final story!

Pictures to follow,maybe.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9104EA4F-9EAB-413E-9487-9B8FF8835B71.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	291517
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

I'm loading a 55gn RCBS boolit which has been GC'd and PC'd with a load that chronographs at 2,720fps with good accuracy at 100yds. No leading is evident.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master

Bad Ass Wallace, i hope mine group that well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Grand Master
    BAW,
    That may be the best group I have every seen with cast in that caliber (and a lot of other calibers should shoot cast "easier").

Well done!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, good grouping!......and at 2750fps!!??.........and on your first try???
    Wow.
    What rifle are you shooting from? Twist rate?
    Thanks.
    1A - 2A = -1A

Boolit Buddy
    Dupe post.
    1A - 2A = -1A

Boolit Master
    Nice job on that group. Still working on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Master

Well, that didn’t work out too good! Shotgun patterns, 10” at 50 yards!!!! Back to the drawing board! But..... before I change anything on that load, I’ll remove the Reddot sight and put on proper optics! ..............Onward,

And, I killed my Chrony with the first dang shot! Well, pfffff!,

Boolit Master

Gentlemen, you don't state if you're shooting in a bolt gun, or an AR..........
    I shoot a 60gr NOE powder coated plain base RN bullet over Unique powder...........accurate, and cheap to shoot.
    Just food for thought.

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Boolit Grand Master

The end results of grossly exceeding the RPM Threshold. The rate of twist in the barrel and the velocity are the major consideration to accuracy, even with PC'd bullets.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

High Velocity, Well, I guess I forgot that information!! AR 15- 1-8 twist 20” stainless bull barrel, muzzle brake, bipod, free floating full length hand guards.

Larry Gibson, I agree. After I killed my Chrony, I shot for group anyway. I’ll slow em down and put proper optics, and go from there! Plus, a new chronograph also! Unless I can find a readout screen!! Fat chance of that happening, though. Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate all your input. Y’all haven’t steered me wrong yet.

Boolit Grand Master

If you can try H4895, RL7, 3031 or similar extruded powder in that burn rate range. Start low at 15 gr, use a dacron filler and work up to just at 100% functioning reliability. Your best accuracy will be right around there.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_0621.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	291716 This is 2 10 shot groups @ 100 with NOE 70 gr rn in my Rock River Lar 15 with 24" heavy stainless with 1-12 twist
    using Acc 2015 with dacron filler cast 75/25 WW/lino heat treated.
    Don't know the velocity but it cycles the action.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Grand Master

Lotta RPM difference between an 8 and 12" twist barrel.

At 2000 fps the 12" twist will give 120,000 RPM....below the RPM threshold.....

At 2000 fps the 8" twist will give 180,000 RPM....above the RPM Threshold......

What works in the slower twist won't always work in the faster twist......

That's why I will shoot cast bullets in my 12" twist AR but won't mess with them in 7 - 9" twist ARs.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Larry, thank you!! I might have to shelve it till I get a 1/12” twist barrel! Or a bolt gun with a 12” twist barrel! I appreciate all the info from everyone!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    I'm loading a 55gn RCBS boolit which has been GC'd and PC'd with a load that chronographs at 2,720fps with good accuracy at 100yds. No leading is evident.

Wow. I've tried gas checked 55 grain lead bullets in my Tikka bolt action. Only success I've had is light loads of Red Dot and an un-gas-checked bullet. I just know if I powder coat then check and SIZE them, they will be ruined. Too much sizing. IDK how you do it. Care to elaborate on your practices?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HiVelocity View Post
    Gentlemen, you don't state if you're shooting in a bolt gun, or an AR..........
    I shoot a 60gr NOE powder coated plain base RN bullet over Unique powder...........accurate, and cheap to shoot.
    Just food for thought.

HV
    What twist rate?