Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Back-Saving Tools for Picking Up Range Brass

Back-Saving Tools for Picking Up Range Brass

Bending over to pick up brass on a gravel-strewn range can be a genuine pain in the back.

And in the Cowboy Action/SASS game, we pick up our brass and shotgun shells after each person shoots because we all reload, use different calibers and appreciate getting our brass back.

The real problem is that, after you get your gunbelt and your shotgun belt on over your, um, belly...it's almost impossible to bend over at all.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cowboy Action Belly blur.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	291470
    (Ref only. Actual belly may appear larger....)

The general consensus is to employ an EZ reach tool and some sort of handled net or can.

I settled on a bait net (with 18" handle, extended to about 30") and a Harbor Freight EZ Reach grabber.

Name:	Brass pickup net and reacher IMG_1271.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	291468

The wood handle on the bait net perfectly fits into a 1/2" PVC coupling fitting. This allows an easy extension with about 10"-12" of PVC pipe.

Name:	Brass pickup net and reacher cu IMG_1272.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	291469

Bait nets can be found at Walmart or any decent Rod and Reel shop.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lee-Fishe...F-14/900180397 ($12.47, but I'm sure you can find them much cheaper.)

I've found the $10 one-piece (non-folding) Harbor Freight "EZ Reach & Grab Pickup And Reaching Tool" with rubber cups to work flawlessly, although I did put a drop of Super Glue on the mounting screws to make sure the rubber cups don't unscrew. Been using the original one for years now. The rubber cups are surprisingly nimble at picking up small cases, even amongst gravel.

https://www.harborfreight.com/ez-rea...ool-62752.html

Name:	EZ Reach HF 62752_zzz_500.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	291471

I also use this pairing after regular target practice to salvage spent .380ACP, 9mm, .45ACP and whatever other casings are laying about, saving much wear and tear on my lower back.

Boolit Buddy
    Great idea!

Boolit Buddy
    I use a device called a nut wizard. But Im not sure how it would work on gravel. It works great on concrete or dirt. Here is a similar one
    https://whiteheadindustrial.com/holt...yABEgKMePD_BwE

here is the one I think mine is, Not sure because Ive had it for quite awhile
    https://blackwalnutcracker.com/Category/nut-wizard/

it works very well at the range because it has concrete floors. And works very well on a farmers dirt rd I shoot at.

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I use a device called a nut wizard. But Im not sure how it would work on gravel. It works great on concrete or dirt. Here is a similar one
    https://whiteheadindustrial.com/holt...yABEgKMePD_BwE

here is the one I think mine is, Not sure because Ive had it for quite awhile
    https://blackwalnutcracker.com/Category/nut-wizard/
    We have tried those devices, but they pick up as much gravel as brass. Would be great on a smooth surface, I'm sure.

I kick 'em all over into one pile and bend over and pick them all up at once.
    It's easier than bending over to get a couple, then stand up and move, bend over again,,,,,

The bending over part is no big deal. However; now days, I minimize how many times I have to stand back up.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    This is the universe telling you that you need to introduce a youngster to the hobby.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    This is the universe telling you that you need to introduce a youngster to the hobby.
    Yep - Grand sons and Grand Daughters work great at this task and have fun doing it.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Ha. Unfortunately, SASS is too expensive for youngsters. You gotta have a pair of revolvers, a Winchester and a coach side-by-side shotgun, at minimum.

Then you need your belt, holsters and shotshell belt.

Then you need your western boots/outfit/costume, suspenders, vest, badge holders and other critical accessories. The hat alone can set you back $400.

Then you need your horse, saddle, barn and ranch. (Those may be optional....)

And you still need your mountain of brass, bullets, powder and reloading ability. Have you even found primers anywhere, at any cost? Cast your own? Open the wallet if you haven't been casting as a hobby for the past 40 years.

This is one expensive hobby.... Too spendy for youngsters, methinks. But fun. And the wife likes it too! Now double your costs cause she needs lighter guns. Those Ruger .32 HR Mag Single Sixes don't grow on trees. I did give her a really nice super short action 1973 Winchester of her own for Christmas last year. She genuinely appreciates it. And she's pretty good at shootin'. She's a keeper.

Boolit Master

The nut "harvesters" are very iffy on gravel, although the do pickup every shotgun shell.
    The can "retrievers" are slower, but you'd be amazed at how fast you can pickup 8-9 small cases and 4-6 shotgun shells.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    The problem with CAS is you typically end up picking up brass three times during a stage...and if there are older folks on the posse, you do more case policing to help keep the effort off them. I stopped shooting CAS matches in my late 50's when bending down and getting back up were not much of an effort. But if/when I do it again (now 71) I will use one of those can picker thingys.

I still love shooting my CAS lever actions but I set up a section of thin rubber mat (used for lining farm ponds) under the firing line. Lifting the corners moves the brass to were I get get a pile to pick up. I only shoot on my own range so that makes it easy.
    Don Verna

I use to use one like this and rigged it with a cloth bag. The problem was the cable that squeezed the two side together kept braking. I now use one of the old people high shelf grabbers like someone else pictured.

Name:	Pooper Scooper.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	291531

PS, the woman was not included.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I use these https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ight=Brass+vac What one I pick depends on the surface and how much brass we are talking about.

Boolit Master

Like most I use a picker-upper (I have not copyrighted that word feel free to use it.) I don't use the bait net. I use one of the long handled dust pans. The ones that flip up when you lift them. That rolls all the brass to the back. The handle is the right length and they are easy to find.

Name:	dustpan.jpeg 
Views:	261 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	291541
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.