RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Looking for AA hull info

Boolit Master

Looking for AA hull info

While visiting my brother he said he had a large garbage can full of once fired AA hulls shot in the late 80's or early 90's. They are stored in his basement. I didn't look at them but wondered when they changed from old type to the newer one. He said I could have them as he won't reload shotgun shells. I liked AA hulls when I first started reloading but when they changed I stopped using them but don't remember when they changed! Anyone remember?

Boolit Master

About 2001.
    Take a kid along

Boolit Buddy
    Well if neither he or you want them, I'll buy them from him/you.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Woody1, thanks!! In my opinion only, the new AA "HS" hulls load just as good as the old style hulls!!! I do understand the attraction of the old style compression-formed hulls, it seemed they lasted forever! i've seen as high as 10 reloads on the "old style" hulls, just by using low powder charges and low(think 7/8 0z ) shot loads. But, to be fair, the new "HS" style hulls did as well. when, and if, i ever use up my stash of AA compression-formed hulls, i'll go to all Remington Premier hulls! Huh, who knows, i might post those old AA hulls up on S&S!!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

I have old style AA's that have been loaded 8-10 times. Lately I have been using the worst ones for my Lee Slugs and they don't get picked up after they are shot. One way trip, but I got plenty of use out of them.
    I also have a zillion new style AA's and they only get loaded about 4-5 times before the crimps start to crack. They are still being loaded with shot for skeet.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I used to load the old AA's until they started to split and the crimp looked like crap or ripped a little. They still shot fine but then I let them lay. Mike.

2003 The 28 & 410 casing are marked with HS & Use newer data. See post 7 https://www.shootersforum.com/thread...-hulls.197018/
    Last edited by 243winxb; 11-11-2021 at 08:19 PM.

I forgot to tell you that Loading Data for AA hulls is available in just about every shotshell loading manual known to man so there should be any problem finding it. They are just about the most common "Reloadable" hull there is.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    When I started SASS the wife stopped at a yard sale and a retired trap shooter was moving to Florida. Wife bought a hydraulic MEC and a CHARMAN box about 3'x3'x3' full AA hulls. I used them for black powder. Next time I am in Ohio I will pick them up. 1 1/4 oz. of #4-#8 shot, equal amount of FFg or FFFg, over powder wad, felt wads, and shot card takes down knockdowns easy. It also gives a good amount of fire when dark. The #4-#6 also takes tree rats and rabbits, though the smoke makes it hard to see if a second shot is needed. I get 3-5 shoots per hull before there is burned holes in the hull.