RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Acceptable Hunting Accuracy at How Far?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Ugh, tonight I missed a really big doe at 100 yards. Perfect broadside shot and I was sitting leaned back against a tree with my Remington 700 6.5 Creedmoor that easily does 1" at 150. Mebbe I should take up something easier like stamp collecting...
    Acceptable hunting accuracy, the topic of this post. I feel like I shoot much better when I wear electronic hearing protection. Were your ears naked? There are certain guns where I don't worry if I have it or not, but I shoot better when I know my ears aren't gonna get nuked. I can just about tolerate wearing it all the time for everything except hunting pheasants when it is windy or deer driving in the brush. Both cases, wind noise or brush noise is too disorienting through the ear pieces, and they always get snagged when deer driving. Other times I will wear the muffs just above my ears for natural stereo hearing, then if a deer comes into view I can get them into place or I will just have earplugs around my neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    I shoot mainly wild pigs at ranges up to 100yds. I like using my aperature sighted 50/70 which is as accurate as I need.

hey BAW, long time no see....... been a few years since i left that AHN place, think thats where u drink?
    an aushunt shat the bed, stale as four day toast...

anywhooo- nice to see your still holden em still while ya plug em
    Model 94 XTR .375win (38-55+p) - Australian Sambar Deer Hunter.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I wear muffs on the range, but the lack thereof has never hurt me in the field. I have arthritis in my hands and a bit of essential tremor. Those two maladies teamed up to cause me to shoot under her, I knew what I had done while the rifle recoiled.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I guess I can do it right sometimes. Been looking for this old guy for awhile and caught him on the trail of a doe this afternoon. My 1976 336 Texan did her part and put one through the crankcase at 40 yards. The camera angle makes it look like a gut shot but the Sierra Pro Hunter took out the heart and lungs no problem.

https://opeforum.com/attachments/img...14-jpg.317064/
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I guess I can do it right sometimes. Been looking for this old guy for awhile and caught him on the trail of a doe this afternoon. My 1976 336 Texan did her part and put one through the crankcase at 40 yards. The camera angle makes it look like a gut shot but the Sierra Pro Hunter took out the heart and lungs no problem.

https://opeforum.com/attachments/img...14-jpg.317064/
    need to be a member of site to see attatchment, got another Photo Hosting site to use?
    we all lurv pictures

Lets see if this works:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big buck 2021 A.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	292109

Looks like a bucket of venison from here, Ferguson!
    You were too close for the Creedmoor to work, lol.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Wow, way to go Ferguson! You'll be busy for a day or two!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Thanks guys! Blind squirrel found the nut this time.

Thanks guys! Blind squirrel found the nut this time.
    Beauty buck!
    congrats
    thnks for sharing

Thanks guys. I'm going to have this one mounted as he will probably be the biggest deer I ever get.

Boolit Master
    I once shot a deer at 400 yards and had a hard time finding the blood trail once I got down range to it. Did not find it until the next morning and it suffered for much of the night and tainted the meat. Not sure I would make that long of a shot again.

My absolute max is 200 yards, and that's only with certain rifles. Fortunately the places I hunt you really can't even see anything beyond 80 yards or so due to terrain and brush.

My absolute max is 200 yards, and that's only with certain rifles. Fortunately the places I hunt you really can't even see anything beyond 80 yards or so due to terrain and brush.
    I'm pretty much with you on that. I've shot some deer at pretty whopping distances, and some of the stories aren't all that great.

I dropped one in his tracks at over 500 yards in a sage-brush desert one time, (about sundown) and we didn't find him till ten o'clock that night.

If you shoot something at 300+ yards, and you are in typical broken or timbered country, you can play hell finding the tracks where your animal was standing when you made your shot. Even a perfectly shot elk will frequently take off as if he wasn't hit, and run for a quarter of a mile before piling up. At longer ranges, my rifle usually doesn't punch through both sides, making for almost no blood trail.

It also seems to me that many guys have a much higher opinion of their shooting skills than is warranted. I, and probably most of us have found the carcasses of "long range shooters". jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master

Deer gun season starts here tomorrow morning. My 1873 .45 LC groups at slightly under 1 inch at 50 yards. Max range where I hunt is 80 yards. If I see one, I should have no problem putting a round thru the boiler room. But as usual, they are calling for bad snow on opening day. I'll be out there. I just hope I can see one. BTW I live in the Lake Erie snow belt! We can get some real blizzards.

Boolit Master
    Hunters are often seen to associate with fishermen, sometimes are even the same body in different uniform.
    Elastic ruler syndrome that afflicts fishermen can be quite contagious.......................................

Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    Deer gun season starts here tomorrow morning. My 1873 .45 LC groups at slightly under 1 inch at 50 yards. Max range where I hunt is 80 yards. If I see one, I should have no problem putting a round thru the boiler room. But as usual, they are calling for bad snow on opening day. I'll be out there. I just hope I can see one. BTW I live in the Lake Erie snow belt! We can get some real blizzards.
    Hey jimb16, if you don't mind me asking, what load do you use and what bullet for hunting? Im curious because I just got me that rifle and would like to use it down here for deer. You can PM me if you don't want to write it here. I would appreciate it.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

I have sort of evolved my thinking on this topic.

When I started hunting deer in Ohio, when you could only hunt with a shotgun, I was happy to be able to keep all my slugs on a paper plate at 100 yards using the "ghost ring" sights on my Ithaca 37. Bonus if I could keep them in the middle part of the plate. That was good enough, and I killed some deer that way. Still nothing hammers them like a 1 OZ 72 caliber slug, even if you hit them in the neck or belly because your accuracy is so poor.

Now living in Indiana where rifles are allowed, anything less than what my 6.5 Creed Ruger left-hand Hawkeye delivers is "inaccurate." This would be being able to keep three shot groups invisible (that is in the 2.5" bullseye of a 50ft NRA rapid fire pistol target) at 200 yards from a cold barrel, off my arms on a bench. This rifle wears a 3.5-10x Leupold VX3i, the highest magnification scope I've ever used.

The combination of flat trajectory (no hold over estimation...I sight it in at 200 yards), extreme accuracy, outstanding trigger, and very good glass give me almost surgical precision. Like I used to shoot "into the brown" when I lived in Ohio. Then when I started with lever action pistol carbines it was "shoot into the boiler room." Now it's like, do I take out the shoulder or the heart? I have been tempted to take brain shots, but haven't.

As someone that has always been of the big bore way of thinking, moving from 12 gauge slugs, to ever smaller bores, I must say the 6.5 mm 129 grain Hornady Interlock bullet is most effective, probably because I can deliver it to exactly right place. Only thing I don't like it how it will destroy some meat in the shoulder area, but that is isn't the best meat anyway.

It's almost boring to me, I don't get the adrenaline rush I once did. I was so far away this year I made a noise on purpose for them to face me and present broadside. In Ohio, where I had to get close enough they could see/hear/smell me, it was more exciting. And now I find myself wanting to hunt with my Flattop Blackhawk in 44 special.

Now living in Indiana where rifles are allowed, anything less than what my 6.5 Creed Ruger left-hand Hawkeye delivers is "inaccurate." This would be being able to keep three shot groups invisible (that is in the 2.5" bullseye of a 50ft NRA rapid fire pistol target) at 200 yards from a cold barrel, off my arms on a bench. This rifle wears a 3.5-10x Leupold VX3i, the highest magnification scope I've ever used.

Thats a durned good standard, especially since you're doing it a 200 yards. Most folks would be hard pressed to do that at 100.

It's been my experience that a whole lot of hunters have no idea exactly what their rifle can or can't do -- or what THEY can or can't do at any range. Most hunters simply don't do enough shooting. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Every rifle and pistol I own is more capable than I am, that's for sure! I usually have to practice with a particular rifle for a couple of years before I ever hunt with it

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast