Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Hardness of zinc wheel weights

Boolit Buddy

Hardness of zinc wheel weights

Some years ago, I sorted wheel weights by giving each one a pinch with a (sharp) pair of side cutters. I seem to recall that most were quite easy to cut and a few were so hard that I could barely put a scratch on them. I assumed they were zinc. This was a few years ago and I'm fairly sure the really hard ones were not steel.

Recently, I sorted some more wheel weights and I came across some that seemed much harder than lead, but I was still able to cut them with heavy pressure.

I realize none of this is very "technical," but just how hard are zinc wheel weights? Can they be cut with side cutters??

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz D View Post
    I realize none of this is very "technical," but just how hard are zinc wheel weights? ?
    I'm not a very technical guy either.
    I'd rate them as being slightly harder than woodpecker lips, but not as hard as Chinese Algebra.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I have wondered the same about some of those hardish weights. Fer sure the weights with Zn on them can not be cut with nips. Scratched and slightly dented but not cut. So I assume those harder to cut weights got something extra in them to make them harder. I hope they are not some kind of intentional lead/zinc alloy created by some rapid anti-gun type just to screw with us.

Hoping someone chimes in who has acid tested those harder than normal wheel weight.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    I I hope they are not some kind of intentional lead/zinc alloy created by some rapid anti-gun type just to screw with us.
    It's an environmental thing.
    Lead is on the way out for lots of uses.
    Now days we're seeing Lead free bird shot requirements, Lead free shooting ranges, Lead free fishing sinkers,
    plastic products used where sheet Lead used to be for Plumbing and roofing, etc.

It's just now starting--- but for some folks, Lead is getting harder & harder to scrounge so they are starting
    to cast boolits and sinkers with those Zinc wheel weights.

It's a hassle, and there's a learning curve, but it does have some advantages.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz D View Post
    Some years ago, I sorted wheel weights by giving each one a pinch with a (sharp) pair of side cutters. I seem to recall that most were quite easy to cut and a few were so hard that I could barely put a scratch on them. I assumed they were zinc. This was a few years ago and I'm fairly sure the really hard ones were not steel.

Recently, I sorted some more wheel weights and I came across some that seemed much harder than lead, but I was still able to cut them with heavy pressure.

I realize none of this is very "technical," but just how hard are zinc wheel weights? Can they be cut with side cutters??
    You won't be able to cut a Zinc weight unless you are Godzilla or Popeye. I don't know why some lead weights seem harder than others unless its the way they were cooled.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    I have wondered the same about some of those hardish weights. Fer sure the weights with Zn on them can not be cut with nips. Scratched and slightly dented but not cut. So I assume those harder to cut weights got something extra in them to make them harder. I hope they are not some kind of intentional lead/zinc alloy created by some rapid anti-gun type just to screw with us.

Hoping someone chimes in who has acid tested those harder than normal wheel weight.
    I have acid tested some of those harder weights and did not get any bubbles. I have also sent some of the harder weights off to BNE for analysis and they came back the same percentages as my other clip-on weights.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    You won't be able to cut a Zinc weight unless you are Godzilla or Popeye. I don't know why some lead weights seem harder than others unless its the way they were cooled.
    Thanks, that is what I was hoping to hear. I guess those "harder" weights can go in the pot.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    "i'd rate them as being slightly harder than woodpecker lips"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, that's the whole truth right there! Side cutters??????????? WILL NOT TOUCH THEM!! They are tough that's for sure!! Good luck, I just sort carefully, heat them slowly, fish out the missed ones, all is well!!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    There are some made of iron that make zinc look soft. Some are labeled fe but not all but they are magnetic so easy to test.

Banned

I have found some in my buckets that seem almost like a dense plastic. I have often wondered what they are. I can actually cut pieces off with a side cutter, but they are definitely not lead, after it's cut it looks like plastic. I always sort them out, as I don't want to contaminate my batch.