RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ordered my molds, what else do I need?

Boolit Master
    You cannot have too many books on casting. I really liked "From Ingot to Target"; and it is free in PDF format on the internet. Just google it and there it will be.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 303hunter View Post
    Ordered a Lee two cavity mold for 440 grain,500 S&W magnum. My grandfather cast his fishing/net weights, so I’ve got his gas burner, cast iron pot and dipper. Also have a bunch of pure lead. I’ll slowly be acquiring the components I need, so recommendations will definitely be appreciated.

Last week my knee went out a bit more than expected, and my (subconscious?) thought was to either hit the deck or have the palm of a hand against the woodstove (our heat source) top... YES! I got a bit of a burn. I "know" I have some burn ointment "somewhere?" -- but wife saved the day with an Aloe Vera branch ripped from a houseplant, which really worked in treating the burn...
    Seeing your post -- I recall but a few, but memorable casting injuries -- including one memorable burn when, wearing sneakers, the sprue dropped between the sneaker and my right foot! Not to forget a few, each, cuts and bruises -- most from slipping pliers.
    What I'm suggesting, sir -- is you inquired what else you NEED when casting -- and, again but suggesting -- I definitely recommend you assemble and have at hand a first aid kit including (of course) some burn ointment, a few band aids, some triple-antibiotic (e.g. Neosporin) ointment, and (a great fix for cuts) a roll of electric tape; perhaps a small roll of, too, Kling type gauze.
    Bion, I also have a spare (2nd) set of plastic safety glasses (still in new wrap) atop mine -- I never cast without safety glasses on, and keep this 2nd pair handy should I not have my prime pair at hand (oops... where did I last set them down? -- I've been known to take them when, say, using a grinder on an in-shop task...)
    geo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12