RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: My Big Winchester '86

My Big Winchester '86

Well, it's not an original but my Pedersoli 1886 'Sporting Rifle' is certainly a rifle to have. It is also the only reproducton that will feed large 545gn boolits through the tubular magazine. My range sesions lately have been with the Hensley & Gibbs 420gn cast boolits (rhs in the pic).

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Banned

I wouldn’t use the pointed bullets in a tubular magazine!

Boolit Master
    2 on the left looks like a buffalo thumpers for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post

Well, it's not an original but my Pedersoli 1886 'Sporting Rifle' is certainly a rifle to have. It is also the only reproducton that will feed large 545gn boolits through the tubular magazine. My range sesions lately have been with the Hensley & Gibbs 420gn cast boolits (rhs in the pic).

The pictured sight is on a "94, not an "86 is it not?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Yep, an 86 has two locking lugs on the sides of the ear portion of the bolt - a 94 has that single locking lug across the rear of the bolt.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    yes ---good pickup!!!!

Super Moderator

.................Beautiful rifle! Makes a person happy just to look at it, let alone the fun of shooting it. A couple years back I was lucky enough to have been able to purchase A Uberti '86 light weight Hunter 45-70 (22" tapered round blued bbl, with a curved grip and lever). Color cased action and solid rubber recoil pad. Since I really don't hunt anymore I stick to 300 - 350 gr cast lead. Much more than that get's tiresome quickly. At the time I bought it (new) the price was $1200 at a pawn shop in town.

About two years after acquiring the Uberti, I happened by a gunshop here in town, and there in the used carousel was what looked suspiciously like my Uberti, except no colorcased action or solid rubber recoil pad. It turned out to be a real Winchester M86 Light weight hunter (45-70), nicely blued action and 22" tapered round bbl (3 round mag tube), attractive Walnut, straight grip and priced at $500! Bore gleamed like chrome, and the original beautiful machined checkered steel buttplate. The barrel markings were a bit light, but there. The action operated smooth and slick, and locked up as nice as could be. No evidence of rust anywhere.

I told the owner of the shop that I'd take it. While doing the California paperwork I asked why it was priced so reasonable? He said because it was refinished (got a shrug from me ). I wrote the serial number down, and at home found out the rifle was made in 1909.

...........Buckshot
    Last edited by Buckshot; 11-08-2021 at 11:32 PM.
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy

So lets hear some more about this rifle. How does it shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    So lets hear some more about this rifle. How does it shoot?
    Minute of hog at 100yds!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Strange thread

Factory generic picture of rifle
    Different make and model rear sight
    Boolits that shouldn't be used in a tubular magazine

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    Strange thread

Factory generic picture of rifle
    Different make and model rear sight
    Boolits that shouldn't be used in a tubular magazine
    In defense of Wallace (who I can assure you dont need any defense help from me)

1) whats wrong with the factory picture ?
    2) the sight - yeah well maybe he has one sight that swaps to a couple of rifles - it be silly to disturb yr zero setting just to take a picture to post here - my browning 71 wears a williams peep - dont know if the pedersoli 86 comes factory tapped for it or not but if it is the Lyman would be a good choice for a hog gun - tang sights on a working lever gun are a headache for those of us that grew up shooting with thumb over the wrist of the stock . Me 'n Wallace both have tang sights on target guns but they a poor choice on a hog gun.
    3) The boolits -- BAW has a serious collection of single shot buffalo rifles (he's posted some real mouth watering pics here previously) so there would be plenty of those big boolits at his house - yeah those two pointy nose ones dont belong in a tube magazine but it can be fun testing a gun (single loaded) like this to see if it will shoot em - then wonder will it feed ??? - if it does (magazine feed) then two up is safe.

I've done that same thing with my Uberti 1976, 460 and 535 grain pointy nose boolits loaded on the rifling - single loads only, its miles too long to magazine feed - once you close the lever on it you are committed to fire cuz its too long to eject - that thing shoots better than I can drive it and the load is good to 600 at least.

Nice rifle. In my collection are several origional 86's, 92's and 94's so yes, I do know something about them. Those pointed bullets look nice but a no-no in the magazine. Some choose to load them singlely into the chamber, close the action and fire. This practice, while working safely for pointed projectiles is also hard on the extractor and can break the front edge when snapping it over the case rim. Levers are designed to bring ammo up from the magazine whereby the case rim slides up and under the extractor hook. Replacing extractors on any model winchester lever is not an easy task and having done it many times both on two of my own rifles and also several range buddies it is not my favorite thing to do. Winchester actually made a special tool or jig for just this purpose and if not having one you will find yourself being quite creative in accomplishing this task as those in the know will attest. Another great use for the rubber band!

G

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gc45 View Post
    Nice rifle. In my collection are several origional 86's, 92's and 94's so yes, I do know something about them. Those pointed bullets look nice but a no-no in the magazine. Some choose to load them singlely into the chamber, close the action and fire. This practice, while working safely for pointed projectiles is also hard on the extractor and can break the front edge when snapping it over the case rim. Levers are designed to bring ammo up from the magazine whereby the case rim slides up and under the extractor hook. Replacing extractors on any model winchester lever is not an easy task and having done it many times both on two of my own rifles and also several range buddies it is not my favorite thing to do. Winchester actually made a special tool or jig for just this purpose and if not having one you will find yourself being quite creative in accomplishing this task as those in the know will attest. Another great use for the rubber band!

G
    In all the years of owning winchester levers (1963 till now) I have replaced one broken extractor on an original and one on a Rossi 92, both came to me broken .......lucky? ....maybe
    maybe not -- we live in a dry, gun friendly, climate and I look after them - seen a few busted extractors and I reckon what happens is the gun gets left unshot, extractor rusts up in the slot at the rear (or was too tight from the start) then it can only move at the front end to clear a case rim - its important the entire length of the extractor can move in its slot (just a whisker but it needs to be free)

1886's are my favorite! Here's my 86 45-90 made in 1892. She is a tack driver!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4194 (Large).jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	291651
    Last edited by jeronimo41; 11-13-2021 at 10:46 AM. Reason: added item

My 2 86's are both 45/70's, and Both Browning's.

Boolit Master

You have such marvelous toys.................
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

If that's the M1886 Deluxe I also have that rifle. Saw 2 of them for sale at Elwood Epps (Ontario, Canada) and I had to have one.

I had previously had an '86 Ultra-lite but was never sold on it... so sold it... haha.

Hmm... 4 posts in 11 years = 0.36 posts per year, if anyone is keeping track.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    I wouldn’t use the pointed bullets in a tubular magazine!
    Got a really nice "pointy" 30 caliber boolit, that has been soft pointed and shoots wonderfully in my 94.
    One in the pipe, one in the mag! So yes, I would and, do, pointy boolits in a tubular!
    crash87
    "An art, to supply a truthful response to someones nagging, busy bodied question(s) such that the person feels as though their question has been answered, but yet, do not understand the answer and are unable to provide a follow up question to gain clarification for fear of appearing to be a dumb ***, when basically having to repeat the question

"LIBERALS ARE ALOT LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS."

Boolit Buddy

BAW
    Beautiful hog slayer.
    Jim