MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Pedersoli rolling block John Bodine front sight problem

Boolit Mold

Question Pedersoli rolling block John Bodine front sight problem

Hi everyone, first posting for me.
    I’m in the UK and I’ve just aquired a Pedersoli John Bodine 45-70.
    My problem is the front sight, the inserts are held in by a flimsy spring clip that keeps coming undone losing the insert.
    I’m thinking of changing it to a Lyman globe 17AEU front sight, where the insert reticles are held in by the screw in bushing.
    I already have one on a marlin 1894.
    I wonder if anyone else has changed over these front sights without any problems.
    Thank you

Boolit Master
    Rather than the lyman may I suggest the lee shaver front sight it's like the lyman but has a spirit level in it and comes with better elements than the lyman. Also it's not much more expensive than the lyman sight.

If you’re talking about a pivoting spring lever that closes over the insert, Montana Vintage Arms has a similar design. The lever has a tendency to snag and bend upwards. I wrap electricians tape around the sight unit so that the lever doesn’t catch when sheathing or unsheathing the rifle.

Boolit Master

No problem swapping in a Lyman 17 for the original front sight on my 'standard' model Pedersoli. Been almost 15 years ago but, IIRC, dovetail may have required a bit of 'fitting' with a set of jeweler's files but, after a few thousand rounds, it's still in place and has never required any further attention.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

I normally use the mva front globe with level I believe its model 117. I like it and its a little bigger opening than the lyman. Lee Shavers is also a good front. DIstant thunder makes one for long range that is angled front to back to help keep a round looking sight when the rear is jacked way up.

Another option is a windage adjustable front especially if the rear dosnt have much windage

Boolit Mold
    Thank you everyone, will be looking at a front sight incorporating a bubble level��

Boolit Master
    I forgot to mention Lee shaver has 2 sizes. One is the same as a 17a lyman and the other matches a Parker hale.

The bubble level is a real asset, IF you're planning to shoot 500 yds. or further. Under 500 yds. it's not as necessary, and you can get by for the most part without it. I shot for years using a plain globe of some kind. But once I started shooting further out I had to switch to a bubble level on my globe sights.