Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: M1 carbines

Boolit Master
    “...... plenty accurate for what they were designed for, .......”

I agree, but they are often characterized as poor in accuracy. If you could see the shape my poor Inland appears to be in (mostly the deteriorated wood though) you might be a bit surprised how well it shoots.

I well know the range limitations of the cartridge but for the few $$ I invested and how handy it is, I have a keeper.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Usually the people that cry the carbine lacks accuracy should try 10 rounds off hand at a 100yd. bull with a carbine and their favorite deer rifle. They'll probably shoot the carbine better due to it's low recoil and muzzle blast. Off a bench though the carbine doesn't stand much of a chance up against the average deer or service rifle.

At the prices I read I will buy an Auto Ordinance .30 Carbine for a bit over $500.

Boolit Master

2A-Jay I agree with you. But finding any carbine right now (no matter the manufacturer) is not easy. And everyone that has one thinks it is a Holy Grail collectible or just trying to gouge while the gouging is good. Buying anything while the market is "hot" is not a good idea. Wait a little bit and the craziness will calm down and the prices will settle back to normal. I am an old dog and I have seen this too many times to count. Guns, ammo, components will calm down when people realize they are still being made and all they have to do is be patient until the hoarders and the new equipment owners get their shorts un-twisted and calm down. Of course prices will never be as low as they were before the "panic" but they will come down a whole lot from what some are asking for them right now. my .02 anyway, james

I did a price check on Guns International, found 4 pages of carbines including Universals. Four pages is about double what it usually is to begin with meaning, yeah everybody wants a piece of the action while it's hot and prices are way overboard! Universals at $800? Nope, not from me! G.I. carbines averaging $2,000.00! That's about double what I expected to see in my lifetime. The good news is, they don't seem to be selling, which means prices should be coming down soon...I hope.

I have long thought about reboring or rebarreling a carbine to .357 rimless. The carbine brass is the same length as .357 magnum brass. I think I'd use .300 AAC brass. If the guvmint can get a straight .30 case to headspace on the case mouth it should be fine in .357. The little carbine would make a fine short range deeer gun in .357.

Jim

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    I did a price check on Guns International, found 4 pages of carbines including Universals. Four pages is about double what it usually is to begin with meaning, yeah everybody wants a piece of the action while it's hot and prices are way overboard! Universals at $800? Nope, not from me! G.I. carbines averaging $2,000.00! That's about double what I expected to see in my lifetime. The good news is, they don't seem to be selling, which means prices should be coming down soon...I hope.
    That's my hope, too. I'll buy the next one I can get for $6-800 in good shape. This $12-1500 stuff is beyond my willingness to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by 2A-Jay View Post
    At the prices I read I will buy an Auto Ordinance .30 Carbine for a bit over $500.
    You might want to read this before you buy and AO. Problems with them are not at all uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    Guns International is not really a good barometer by which to measure M1 Carbine prices. For $15, a seller can list a firearm at a silly price for an unlimited amount time, and hope some sucker comes along and pays it. A slightly better measure is Gunbrokers "Completed Auctions" search. It's far from perfect (I recently bought a nice Saginaw for $705), but shows that your typical mixmaster will sell for $1100 to $1600 depending on the make and how well it's marketed.

Don't poo-poo the Universal's, at least not the first 100,000 or so that were made. There were mostly USGI parts, but the barrels were new production. I have one in the 80,000 serial number range and it shoots circles around any and all of my USGI carbines, even with it in a Choate stock.

I wouldn't count on prices coming down....at all. I've been collecting and shooting Milsurps for quite a few years now and I don't ever remember any of them ever going down in price.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

I have two M1 Carbines. The first is an Auto Ordnance AOM-180 (yes, that’s the right model). It has an 18.6” barrel instead of an 18” made for sale in Canada from what I’ve heard. I bought it new from Bud’s about 5 or 6 years ago. I really wanted to like the little rifle, but I had to replace the magazines and magazine catch with USGI versions to get the magazines to stay in. I have also always had problems with the gas piston nut staying put. After loc-tite didn’t work, I re-staked it, and it stayed put for a little while, but eventually worked it’s way loose again. Eventually, I had a machinist put a small screw through the piston housing to hold the piston nut in place. Now it works great, but at a cost of buying replacement parts on my dime, and having custom work done on the gas system to be reliable.

The second is a 1943 Inland that I bought last year from Royal Tiger Imports for $799. The stock was kind of beat up, and I had to replace the handguard, but the mechanical parts and barrel were virtually new, and all matching numbers. Other than the import mark, you’d think it was fresh from the WWII Inland factory. From the first round it was 100% reliable, and more accurate than my Auto Ordnance. I just checked their site, and these are now going for $1299 for Good to Very Good, and North from there.

From my experience, if I were to have to buy my first one again, I’d get a USGI model. The Auto Ordnance is good when it works, but it’s just luck of the draw if it’s a lemon or not.

A 300$ BO will outdo the carbine easily. And can carry a 150gr to 2k fps accurately. Plus they come in semi-auto versions too. Most of my school teachers were back from Korea or served during WWII. Had little like or use for the carbine - except that was the sentry duty weapon. Kinda like the 1911, a 'last resort' battle weapon.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    A 300$ BO will outdo the carbine easily. And can carry a 150gr to 2k fps accurately. Plus they come in semi-auto versions too. Most of my school teachers were back from Korea or served during WWII. Had little like or use for the carbine - except that was the sentry duty weapon. Kinda like the 1911, a 'last resort' battle weapon.
    But we're talking about M1 Carbine's, not AR-15's and the .300 Blackout. The whole "This round is better than that round." argument is a black hole.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    I like the 30 Carbine because reloading cast bullets I can get close or equal to Jacketed Wolf ammo 1785 FPS cast .Just over 500 rounds per pound of powder .

Boolit Master

Picture on my wall of my father with a carbine with infrared scope Korea 50-51 , carried a M1 Garand with a scope , carbine for special occasions .

I had one I bought from Springfield sporters it and a M1 Garand , loved that carbine and Garand .

Love shooting the local CMP match with my NPM

Moderator Emeritus

A "worth watching" YouTube was released by Wolfe Publishing, featuring Mike Venturino discussing, and their shooting, his Standard Products Corp WWII U S M1 Carbine. The link is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIWXhBVOKTU
    geo

Boolit Master
    what does a UNIVERSAL or a PLAINFIELD or IVER JOHNSON, after market knock off go for now? just courious, as I have them and they all shoot well.

Boolit Master
    I sold my Universal a couple years back for $400.00
    The friend wanted it to use , so he wasn't wearing out his collectors carbines

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    what does a UNIVERSAL or a PLAINFIELD or IVER JOHNSON, after market knock off go for now? just courious, as I have them and they all shoot well.
    Bion, I used my Hialeah, Florida Universal (with a sling, oiler, two magazines and an on-stock pouch added to mag in the carbine) as a trade towards a rifle "I couldn't live without") at a LGS about nine months ago, where dealer applied an even-Steven five hundred dollars trade towards the new rifle. As the dealer is also on Gunbroker and lists with free shipping, I reckon that's $35.00 to $50.00 of his price -- so, in real dollars, I reckon my carbine was worth maybe $400 -- with the shipping and extra mags, sling, etc. adding to full trade price. (I had given $350 for the Universal about five years earlier; private seller; and was almost "blown away" to get the $500.00 trade offer.)

Boolit Master

Been wanting a 30 carbine for years. Like most, I should have picked one up when I had my C&R. Thought about a commercial or even a newly manufactured GI carbine. Heck… if I’m going to put out $1000+, I want my investment to appreciate, if not for me for my son.

Short story… I order one from Classic Firearms today .
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    There fun guns but i have to agree with some others that there not 1200 dollars fun.
    No, now they're $1500-$2000 fun.

I may have over paid when I bought my bring back Underwood for $75 back in the early '70's, but I'm okay with that. lol

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123