RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: WFN 10mm molds and a seating stem for it

Boolit Buddy

WFN 10mm molds and a seating stem for it

Hey guys and girls I know there's some out there. I've got a 2 part question about 10mm casting. I've picked up a Glock 20 for woods roaming and field use. It's mostly for self defense against the usual critters in my area, meth heads, feral dogs and here lately feral hogs . So far all I've got are factory self defense hp jwords but being a caster I really want something with a wfn in the 200grn range moving about 1200fps.
    I've been thinking about something like the Accurate 40-195G that I've heard mentioned here . I'm mostly looking for something I could load down to 40 s&w levels and plink with or crank it up and hunt with it. I'm fine with have a couple of different molds if that's what's needed but if I could get along with one that would be great. I do have an aftermarket barrel on the way as well.
    The second problem I have is the only dies I have are a new set of RCBS 10MM/40 S&W dies I picked up last year in anticipation of getting a 10mm. The seat die has the swc stem but it just occurred to me today to measure it and the flat portion for the nose only measures somewhere between .275 and. 295. The edges are rounded so it's hard to get a good measurement. That would make it too small for the aforementioned mold that I was looking at. Sorry for the long winded post but any help would be greatly appreciated I've been scouring the forum all week looking for ideas thanks.

I've used two cast bullets in 10mm. The Lee 180, and rimrock 220. The Lee I cast, the rimrock I bought, but loaded it around 1250-1300 out of a 5" 1911. If I still shot that gun in 10mm, I'd be looking at 200+grain molds too

As for the die seating stem, I had a similar issue with some heavy 45's. I filed the seating punch so it's flat.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Put a little hot glue in the end of your seating stem and push it on the top of a greased boolit. When it cools it will fit perfect.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    I've used two cast bullets in 10mm. The Lee 180, and rimrock 220. The Lee I cast, the rimrock I bought, but loaded it around 1250-1300 out of a 5" 1911. If I still shot that gun in 10mm, I'd be looking at 200+grain molds too

As for the die seating stem, I had a similar issue with some heavy 45's. I filed the seating punch so it's flat.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the reply. I was kinda hoping someone made one but that would be easy enough to do Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I was kinda hoping someone made one but that would be easy enough to do Thanks
    Someone might make one, I’m not sure. I believe hornady will make custom seating plugs, you just send them the bullet. Other manufacturers might have a similar deal. As stated above, you can try using hot glue if you don’t want to permanently alter your stem. I just don’t think it will work as well for a cavity that’s too small. I figured that if I screw up on my grinding, a new stem is cheap enough to buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Put a little hot glue in the end of your seating stem and push it on the top of a greased boolit. When it cools it will fit perfect.
    I forget about that tip I've heard of that one before I may try that out before I take file to it.

Boolit Master

Good tool for the task! Yes I do exactly what is described above. If you call up RCBS you can get a spare stem and just fill it and file it flat. Works perfect there's plenty of adjustment and no more marked bullets.

I have had good luck surpassing 1200 with Longshot, Bluedot, 800 X, and power pistol. There's probably a few others but those will do it without pressure signs if you work up slow. If you choose 800 X, go really slow if you pass workloads. It will go from mild to wild pretty quickly. But to add insult to injury, it meters awfully poorly.

I just ordered an arsenal 403-200 WFN. I had been using a borrowed MP 402-200. Both have a 300 meplat.

Good luck!!
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Cwlongshot thanks for the reply that arsenal mold is on my radar as well.

Boolit Master

They are a good mold. Buy with confidence.

Boolit Master

The RCBS 180 gr Gold Dot seating stem fits the 10mm WFN profiles beautifully! I got mine at Midway. Since you have an RCBS seater die, this plug will just swap right in. I did tape the the threads and chuck it in a drill then gave a bit of polish with 1000 grit paper.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012135185?pid=795748

I've loaded a lot of WFNs in 10mm with different powders. No. 9 is my undisputed favorite for getting the most out of a WFN.

This weighs 203 gr dressed with PC and runs up to 1250 fps out of the G20. Cast from an LBT mold.

Last edited by Taterhead; 11-08-2021 at 08:14 PM.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks taterhead I think I got the last one in stock! For 7 dollars I'll give it a try.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    Thanks taterhead I think I got the last one in stock! For 7 dollars I'll give it a try.
    You're welcome, and good deal.

Here's a pic. On the left is the 180 Gold Dot plug next to the standard seater from the RCBS set. See all that room for the big meplat.

While you are at it, you might consider calling RCBS and asking for a 401 Cowboy expander plug assembly. It was sold as the 38-40 WCF expander assembly. It is an M expander that's dimensioned perfectly for heavy 10mm cast bullets. They used to sell them at Midway but are only available from RCBS as far as I know. They actually gave me a couple for free. It is too long for 40 S&W, so I had some of the shank honed down on the other one that Inuse for 40 S&W cast.

Note the longer shank on the left. It also is a touch wider than the standard plug to its right.

Last edited by Taterhead; 11-08-2021 at 09:20 PM.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

May Liberty Increase!
    Hornady 10/40 dies come with a flat seater stem that works beautifully on WFN profiles. I agree with the advice above regarding solutions for the dies you have, but also wanted to answer your direct question.
    WANTED: CH AutoChamp Mark IV, V, or Va - PM me if you've got one you'd like to part with.

Boolit Master
    If you have an extra .38/357 seating stem, grind it flat and use it in the 10mm seater die. Unless your alloy is as soft as peanut butter it will work just fine.
    Loren

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockshooter View Post
    If you have an extra .38/357 seating stem, grind it flat and use it in the 10mm seater die. Unless your alloy is as soft as peanut butter it will work just fine.
    Loren
    This is what I do for 10mm, 41 Mag and 45 Colt. Shooting WFN or flat meplat projectiles.