Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6" ABS pipe

I was looking at some fittings the other day as I had idea for some 4" or 6" pvc also. Over $20 for any of the caps in 4" stupid expensive and YES gouging. Injection molding costs haven't gone up, and material shouldn't be up much either. I think I know why my HD and Lowes stock continues to go up. Heck wandered through getting wood yesterday and 2x4 studs are STILL $4 each.... And my MDF sheet I use is now $44 plus tax for a sheet of half inch. $32 this time last year and that was up 10% from 2019. Wood dust and glue. ARGH

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    Scrounge check with Locke Plumbing supply.
    I gave up on the idea. I've got several plastic 55 gallon drums, two of them now have their heads cut out, and I'll stitching them together with SS wire, or possible SS screws, a dab of RTV sealant, and then I'll have an 80-gallon or so tank once I cut the side out a bit and lay it horizontal on a roller cart left over from an early rolling workbench build. Mate up a battery charger, some rebar for cathode, and I'll have a nifty electrolytic rust removal tank. It will be about 60" long, plenty big enough for the lathe bed, and much of anything else I need to strip rust from. Poor baby spent 5 years in a leaky barn. I'm gonna make it all better... Cheaper than EvapoRust, too. Even at Locke Supply, it would cost, and I'm a cheap bastrich. I've got all this other stuff sitting here, may as well use it. And a couple of mosquito dunks to prevent "biohazard."

Bill

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I used to do a lot of developing back in the day, but can’t understand where à six inch pipe can be used. Can someone explain how it is used?

Boolit Master
    Over simplifying it some what you put the paper in the drum, add the chemicals, put the cap on, and roll the drum across the table for agitation. Then pour the first chemical out, pour the second in and repeat.

Unidrum was among the first to come out with a drum that had a light tight cap that allowed you to pour the chemicals in and out without removing the cap. They then came out with a motor base that would do the rolling for you. The drums came in sizes for 8x10, 11x14, and 16x20 prints. One advantage was that you only needed a few ounces to process a print rather than a quart or half gallon needed to fill a tray.

Then Jobo came out with their version and added drums for processing roll and sheet films. They also added a temperature controlled water bath so all the chemicals stayed at the same temperature.

This was much nicer for processing color prints in the home darkroom than trays because of the higher (around 90-100 degrees) temperatures needed for the color processing.

It sounds like he is trying to fabricate his own drums.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    I gave up on the idea. I've got several plastic 55 gallon drums, two of them now have their heads cut out, and I'll stitching them together with SS wire, or possible SS screws, a dab of RTV sealant, and then I'll have an 80-gallon or so tank once I cut the side out a bit and lay it horizontal on a roller cart left over from an early rolling workbench build. Mate up a battery charger, some rebar for cathode, and I'll have a nifty electrolytic rust removal tank. It will be about 60" long, plenty big enough for the lathe bed, and much of anything else I need to strip rust from. Poor baby spent 5 years in a leaky barn. I'm gonna make it all better... Cheaper than EvapoRust, too. Even at Locke Supply, it would cost, and I'm a cheap bastrich. I've got all this other stuff sitting here, may as well use it. And a couple of mosquito dunks to prevent "biohazard."

Bill
    I've done a good bit of this renovating several woodworking machines. evaporust works well for small items, nuts ,bolts etc., that you can't easily replace. Tanking large items and using your cheap battery charger works really well. I've found that rebar works ok, but better steel works faster.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by C.F.Plinker View Post
    Over simplifying it some what you put the paper in the drum, add the chemicals, put the cap on, and roll the drum across the table for agitation. Then pour the first chemical out, pour the second in and repeat.

Unidrum was among the first to come out with a drum that had a light tight cap that allowed you to pour the chemicals in and out without removing the cap. They then came out with a motor base that would do the rolling for you. The drums came in sizes for 8x10, 11x14, and 16x20 prints. One advantage was that you only needed a few ounces to process a print rather than a quart or half gallon needed to fill a tray.

Then Jobo came out with their version and added drums for processing roll and sheet films. They also added a temperature controlled water bath so all the chemicals stayed at the same temperature.

This was much nicer for processing color prints in the home darkroom than trays because of the higher (around 90-100 degrees) temperatures needed for the color processing.

It sounds like he is trying to fabricate his own drums.
    Exactly what i am trying to do here. The thing is, that i would have purchased a factory print drum, but unfortunately only a certain size is being made now, and i just dont have the coin to spend almost 600$ on a drum ...

Sure the light tight cap will have to be made from my own design, but its a relatively hard design to mess up.

Sure, alot of people on photography forums dont udnerstand my interest in a print drum because they all have large set ups for developing in trays. This is just a hobby to do for fun, and not anything i am using to make myself feel better.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BunkTheory View Post
    Exactly what i am trying to do here. The thing is, that i would have purchased a factory print drum, but unfortunately only a certain size is being made now, and i just dont have the coin to spend almost 600$ on a drum ...

Sure the light tight cap will have to be made from my own design, but its a relatively hard design to mess up.

Sure, alot of people on photography forums dont udnerstand my interest in a print drum because they all have large set ups for developing in trays. This is just a hobby to do for fun, and not anything i am using to make myself feel better.
    It's not my chosen hobby anymore, but once upon a time... I have here, a book: The Photographer's Build-It-Yourself Book by Tom Branch. There are possibly a few others laying about. If you'd like them, send me a PM, and I'll send them to you. Don't know if it will be of any real use to you, but might at least give you some ideas. It's copyright 1982, so I've had it about as long as I've been married to my current and future wife. I gave up on photography as a hobby in 1985. What photography I do these days is for technical purposes, or to store memories.

Bill

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    It's not my chosen hobby anymore, but once upon a time... I have here, a book: The Photographer's Build-It-Yourself Book by Tom Branch. There are possibly a few others laying about. If you'd like them, send me a PM, and I'll send them to you. Don't know if it will be of any real use to you, but might at least give you some ideas. It's copyright 1982, so I've had it about as long as I've been married to my current and future wife. I gave up on photography as a hobby in 1985. What photography I do these days is for technical purposes, or to store memories.

Bill
    If you want to expereince depression and abject misery, go look at photography forusms

Boolit Master
    Could you use sono tubes?
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    Could you use sono tubes?
    not really. They make those tubes from some sort of paper product, the film chemicals are liquids and would eat those things pretty soon.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BunkTheory View Post
    not really. They make those tubes from some sort of paper product, the film chemicals are liquids and would eat those things pretty soon.
    I would like to see what you are building if you would care to post in Special Projects.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    I would like to see what you are building if you would care to post in Special Projects.
    https://www.catlabs.info/product/3063

That is what i am trying to build for myself. The issue is that the originals have not been made in over 10 years. and the products they ARE making now, well i can get a brand new ruger gp100 in 357 magnum with a tad of searching.