Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6" ABS pipe

Banned

6" ABS pipe

Im just at my wits end here trying to build a photo paper developing tube, as they are not being sold for about a decade now.

I need to find a 6" x 2' BLACK ABS riser pipe, but i need a company that sells it online and sends it through the mail in the USA.

Check out "PlumbersStock.com"

You might have to buy a 5' piece, and it ain't cheap,,,,,, but they've got it and will ship.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

most hardware stores sell it and will cut pieces for you. its very common in wyoming.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

6 inch sewer pipe is about standard. A little plastic paint to make it black. Sewer pipe is the purple stuff. Little thinner though.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

Ace Hardware stores will delever ... or so they make it seem on TV advertisment .

Call down to local small hardware store, explain predicument and ask them if someone would drop it off to you and offer to pay them for trouble . We have some local small hardware stores where I bet someone would help ... the owner rewired a light fixture for me because I had done such a pathetic job it wouldn't work , I'm the worlds worst electrician ... he spent an hour rewiring it and charged me nothing ...there must be some friendly people working there that would drop the pipe by your house .
    I live in the back ward state of Louisiana but people will help you here ...
    A roofer saw how clogged my gutters were , took pity on me and c[eaned out all my gutters ... never charged a thing ... just told me he did it while he was on the roof ... He knew I could no longer get up there and just did it for me .
    There have to be some nice people where you live .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Key is ABS(other pipes will soften with the developer chemicals). I have never found ABS in the stores around here, PVC yes...

My local Home Depot has 6" x24" Pieces in black ABS for $9. They should ship to the store closest to you. If you can't do that, I can pick one up for you and ship to you.
    PM me if you want.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    My local Home Depot has 6" x24" Pieces in black ABS for $9. They should ship to the store closest to you. If you can't do that, I can pick one up for you and ship to you.
    PM me if you want.
    Why am I not surprised to see this kind of offer here?

Boolit Buddy
    Because there are some really good folks here!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Key is ABS(other pipes will soften with the developer chemicals). I have never found ABS in the stores around here, PVC yes...
    ABS is compatible with Color and B&W chemistry. I had E6 and C41 processors made from welded ABS. PVC should be fine too. There's formalin in the one final rinse but it's dilute.

I've never seen any thing larger than 4 inch ABS pipe in stores.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BunkTheory View Post
    Im just at my wits end here trying to build a photo paper developing tube, as they are not being sold for about a decade now.

I need to find a 6" x 2' BLACK ABS riser pipe, but i need a company that sells it online and sends it through the mail in the USA.
    There a particular reason you're not using stainless steel pans and developing it flat in them? I got out of the field in 1985, but I also processes several tens of thousands of prints in 20x24 stainless steel trays.

though in case you actually know what you need , Home Depot will deliver to your house: https://www.homedepot.com/s/abs%2520pipe?NCNI-5

This search was with my zip code, so the closest store may not have it, but mine can get 6" by 24" pieces. As Winger Ed said, it's not cheap.

Bill

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    There a particular reason you're not using stainless steel pans and developing it flat in them? I got out of the field in 1985, but I also processes several tens of thousands of prints in 20x24 stainless steel trays.

though in case you actually know what you need , Home Depot will deliver to your house: https://www.homedepot.com/s/abs%2520pipe?NCNI-5

This search was with my zip code, so the closest store may not have it, but mine can get 6" by 24" pieces. As Winger Ed said, it's not cheap.

Bill
    have you PRICED stainless steel trays, even plastic trays are really really out of it... its actually less cost to build a developing tube.

And i dont have the room, for tray processing. more then a 5x7 photo.

Call your local plumbing contractor. He likely has a scrap piece laying out in the yard you could have.
    Deplorable infidel

Moderator Emeritus

have you PRICED stainless steel trays, even plastic trays are really really out of it... its actually less cost to build a developing tube.

Steam table pans off ebay are dirt cheap... even new ones can be had for very little money

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Milsurp Junkie View Post
    Because there are some really good folks here!
    LIKE !

I hit our LIKE button
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Looks like you know what you need, then, but my experience with drum processing wasn't all that good. Not enough chemical to be sure of getting the whole print properly exposed to the chemicals for the whole processing time for large sheets of paper. Also slow to drain and refill for chemical changes. One of the labs I worked in we processed over 5000 8x10 prints a day. That one had automated photo processing, but the other labs were all tray processed.

Somewhere around here I still have a 35mm tube tank that will do 6 rolls of 35mm 36exposure film at a time, but nearly all the cameras are gone, and the ones that are still here mostly need repairs. Spent 10 years in the USAF as a still photographer. 35mm, 120/220, 4x5 & 8x10 film, prints up to 20x24, and scads of 8x10 viewgraph slides. I'd been a hobbyist before I enlisted, and had a fair collection when I left the field in 1985, 16mm to 8x10 cameras, a couple of enlargers, projectors, etc. I think I've got 3 35mm cameras left, maybe a 120 Diana, and a few lenses, including one for the 4x5 view camera I no longer own. I've got several of the smaller and cheaper digital cameras now, up to 16megapixel. I mostly use them for vacation photography and mechanics & electrical work. Disassembly photos make reassembly a lot easier. I've also got a ledger-size inkjet printer. I can do up to 13x18 prints on loose paper, and 11x17 (ledger size) from the tray. Plus scans up to 11x17. All that fits on my computer desk and a side stand for th printer/scanner.

Working as a photographer for Uncle Sam spoiled what had been a perfectly good hobby for me. If your home has more than one bathroom, or a laundry room you could do a much larger print processing setup than you think, using temporary structures that fold up when not in use. Developing, stop, and fix trays above the top, and a wash tank in the bathtub under it, another folding stand over the toilet for the enlarger, and a good sturdy lock on the door so no one can open it when you're developing prints. Can use the same setup with the trays set aside to process the film, too. And if you have a view camera of about any size, you can process sheet film in those trays, too.

Saw a set of 3 16x20 photo processing trays on Amazon for $54 or so. Plastic, not SS, but that's not a terrible price. Think I may still have a 16x20 SS tray laying around here, somewhere. Last time it got used we made a giant lasagna in it, and that was decades ago.

Bill

Boolit Master
    Watch out for 16x20 trays that are 16x20 outside dimensions not paper size. Adorama tried to pull that on me but PayPal got my money back. Adorama tried to keep some. Needless to say, they get none of my business now.

I've processed large sheets of B&W paper in wallpaper troughs. Still looking at 20x24 trays but will need a rack for them. 4x5 B&W is the only film I shoot now. My color is all digital
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Moderator Emeritus

ABS is going the way of the dodo bird. Almost all drain, waster sewer pipe you see today is PVC.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    ABS is going the way of the dodo bird. Almost all drain, waster sewer pipe you see today is PVC.
    And they've apparently decided PVC is gold. I was looking for a 5' chunk of 10" PVC, and a couple of end caps. $230 for the pipe from McMaster-Carr, and $109 each for the caps at Home Depot, though they don't sell the 10" pipe. Wanted a cheap way to derust a 4-1/2" lathe bed with EvapoRust. That sure ain't it.

Bill

Boolit Master

Scrounge check with Locke Plumbing supply.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast