RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is there any reason to go 32 Special if you already load for 30-30?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quail4jake View Post
    Well...notice that the tow hooks are on the front of a chevy....that's the place to attach the tow strap that is pulled by the FORD!
    Nah that's for attaching the magnets to pick up all the parts that fell off the ford.

Boolit Master

Practically, neither is a better 200-yard meat maker than the other.

Unless you've got one of the rarer, longer versions with the more sophisticated sights, there's better things to try your hand at generating Benchrest-quality groups with than the base 20" saddle-ring carbine. A specialized single shot .32-40, for instance.

Good arguments for the .32 having more cast bullet accuracy potential, but then again, gas checks will help you there, and once more - - 200 yard meat maker, not Benchrest rifle.

Buy the .32. . .if it moves you.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I bought an extra barreled receiver for my 788 Remington (.30-30) with the idea of reboring it to .32 Special with it’s 1:16 twist rate. The Marlin I bought in this chambering is very accurate and the 788 would be an excellent platform to see just how accurate the .32 slow twist combination actually is. Of course, a slow twist.30-30 would be very close to the same combination.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Something to consider, if any lever guy believes he may ever own a .375 Winchester, with its attending unavailable ammo, spent .32 Special cases fireform nicely for that. The necessary neck expansion is rather less than using 30-30 like all the old threads advise. I created three boxes of .375 recently that way and lost only a couple to splitting.

Boolit Master
    One interesting reason (to me) is to have a rifle to paper patch my conventional .30 cast boolits for. Patching a .312 cast to .322 for a .321 barrel is easy and you'll never have a problem with leading. Also, the .32 Special has a slower twist (1:16") more amenable to use with black powder from back in the days when smokeless was not yet available to reloaders. This will allow full velocities without exceeding the rortational limits for cast boolits common to 1:10 or 1:12 barrels. According to Larry Gibson's testing, a 1:10" .30 cal achieves this rotational limit for at ~2100 fps, beyond which accuracy begins to degrade. It's not a reason to lay out cash for another rifle though - at least not for me. There's just about no difference in performance.

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M94Stocka.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	292527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win32Spla.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	292528 Here are some pics of my new M94 Sporter. Winchester made the last M94s in 32 Win Spl in 2019. They ran for two years I believe. I am currently working up a load for the 170 Hi-Tek2 Missouri Bullet .321 round. I slugged the barrel and I believe it should work fine. I have limited cjoices for powder and 4198 only showed promise at the bottom. I am trying Varget and 2015BR tomorrow. I am seating the bullet on the first driving band after the crimp groove. I got lucky on the stock wood as I never laid eyes on the rifle before I bought it. Loads for it would be appreciated if anyone would like to contribute.

Boolit Master
    If its Winchester. 760 or 748 was purposed for their deer rifle cartridge powders. I primarily use two powders for 32 spec & 30wcf reloadings. IMR 4198 and a surplus WC 860 & IMR 4227 (a duplex) charge.

Do the new ones still have 1:16 ROT and shallow rifling ? Nice rifle BRatagan, 10 grs. Of Unique and a 170 gr. bullet shoots very well in most .32 Specials .Ben’s Red lube and a gas checked 170 gr. bullet and Leverovlution powder are very good for top end cast bullets .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    If its Winchester. 760 or 748 was purposed for their deer rifle cartridge powders. I primarily use two powders for 32 spec & 30wcf reloadings. IMR 4198 and a surplus WC 860 & IMR 4227 (a duplex) charge.
    OverMax,

Did you ever try to develop a WC860 non-duplex load in 30-30? I've got quite a bit of WC872 for use in 30-06, but it would be great if I can load it for 30-30 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by zarrinvz24 View Post
    OverMax,

Did you ever try to develop a WC860 non-duplex load in 30-30? I've got quite a bit of WC872 for use in 30-06, but it would be great if I can load it for 30-30 as well.
    I burn a lot of that in my 30-30s and it works very well but you do need to duplex load it or it barely gets the bullet out of the barrel. Recently I've been duplexing with Blue Dot but really anything from that to 4198 burn rate will work in the proper amounts. 4227 seems about ideal.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    I'd recommend you buy that "shot-out" 32 Win Spl and then load it with 8mm bullets sized at .324 or .325". You'd be surprised how accurate it is when the bore has a bullet that matches it. And you'd save 100 bucks!!!

this is the ticket!!! Like bruce says
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Picked up a M94 in 32 Special that had seen better days. The bore was a bit rough, so I slugged it and it measured out at 0.322".
    I use 170 grain RN 8mm "J" bullets in mine and it shoots just fine.
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Do the new ones still have 1:16 ROT and shallow rifling ? Nice rifle BRatagan, 10 grs. Of Unique and a 170 gr. bullet shoots very well in most .32 Specials .Ben’s Red lube and a gas checked 170 gr. bullet and Leverovlution powder are very good for top end cast bullets .
    Yes Randy the ROT is 1:16 with shallow rifling. Thankyou for the kind words re the rifle. Ill give the Unique a try. I picked up some 748, RX7 and 2015 and will give lead load data a try. The gun does not like hot loads for epoxy coated bullets. I think 1600 is maybe max on speed but that is fine with me. I can arc them in with the best of them, many years of Silhouette competition.

Boolit Master
    zarrinvz24
    I did attempt to use Mag rifle primers with wc-860 in a 30wcf. It did work but not as good as 2-3 grains of a quick burn pistol powder laying on the very base of the cartridge brass. Instant ignition. I use 860 charging's in a 30wcf and 2-32 specials. Pre-94s & 64. Gas checked cast & paper patched cast is what I do. All three rifles shoot pretty darn accurate. (good enough to hunt with.) The member who knows more than most on this duplex'ing (subject) of 860 use. > (No Bade.) He's the man.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123