WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Removing the bevel base from a mold

Boolit Buddy

Removing the bevel base from a mold

Has anyone ever converted a bevel base mold to a flat base. I have a Saeco bevel base mold that I was looking to do this to.
    I keep trying to stay afloat but can't help from shooting holes in my own boat.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Erik at www.hollowpointmold.com can do this for you, but when cost is considered you're better off just selling the mold and buying a new one.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I just did it on 2 Lee 44 molds I hated. I used a drill press and took a few thousands over <.434> drill bit and drilled to the closest lube groove. I have to resize to .431 but they look good and shoot good. I still have a lyman gc mold to go faster. With aluminum molds it is pretty easy-don't drill too deep and use a sharp bit. We tested the boolits in a Freedom arms revolver. I can't get photos to work on this site since I got a new computer.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 11-07-2021 at 12:43 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

A fellow member had an aluminum ( two cavity Lee I believe) bevel based handgun mould that he altered with the small blabe of his pocket knife .
    He said he sharpened the small blade and very carefully removed the bevel in thin light cuts untill it was totally removed ... he didn't seem to think it was hard to do ... just whipped out the knife and trimmed it away . How steady are you hands and how good is your eyesight and do you have a Pen Knife ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Gary, that would be me. That is exactly the way I did it. I did use a head band magnifier, with three different power lenses. The moulds work great. I do believe a person could use a Dremel tool on moulds other than aluminum. It's just like eating an elephant "A little at a time."
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Grand Master

I saw a mold that a friend had Eric @ Hollowpoint Molds do and it was first class looking work. The mold cast and the bullets shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I saw a mold that a friend had Eric @ Hollowpoint Molds do and it was first class looking work. The mold cast and the bullets shoot well.
    Eric is the best. I have had a number of Hensley & Gibbs gas check moulds opened up to plain based moulds. First class work and I have cast literally tens of thousands of bullets with them.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.