RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Quick range trip with the G23.

Boolit Master

Quick range trip with the G23.

Hoping the issues are related to break-in period. Any ideas on the stoppage at the 6:15 mark?

Loads are proven, magazines are OEM, barrel is OEM, so has to be the slide/recoil spring assembly.

Recoil spring is aftermarket stainless steel since OEM not available.

Happy with the accuracy and hoping I just need to burn some more ammo to get it reliable.

"Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    wait...i thought it was glock perfection? Most people who say glocks are the best havnt shot other brands.I think they are over priced ugly paper weights. id rather have a STD than own one personally.

Have you tried a different magazine?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    Have you tried it with the factory slide assembly?
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Have you tried it with the factory slide assembly?
    Yep. Perfect function with factory slide.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    wait...i thought it was glock perfection? Most people who say glocks are the best havnt shot other brands.i think they are over priced ugly paper weights. Id rather have a std than own one personally.
    lol.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Yep. Perfect function with factory slide.
    I shoot my guns stock after the guy I trained with at FrontSight told me one of his buddies died in action using a Glock he had modified...a trigger part failed. So I do not know anything about aftermarket parts.

If the factory slide works, and the parts are interchangeable, try the replacement recoil spring in the factory slide and the factory recoil spring in the aftermarket slide. That may narrow down the issue.

BTW, the trainer at FrontSight uses a Glock 22 in his work. He did not blame the gun for the death of his friend.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

If the factory slide works, and the parts are interchangeable, try the replacement recoil spring in the factory slide and the factory recoil spring in the aftermarket slide. That may narrow down the issue.
    They are not interchangeable. The slide is a Gen 3 slide which has a smaller diameter recoil spring insert so only Gen 3 recoil spring assemblies can be used. But, I have a couple of aftermarket plastic recoil spring assemblies I can use.

I tried to weigh both slides since the OEM one feels considerably heavier, but my electronic powder scale doesn't go that high.

Pouring down rain today, so can't go try stuff out. I think the weight of the slide and not having enough kinetic energy might be a factor.

Will get to the range tomorrow with two different barrels, different recoil springs, different magazines, and different loads.

Boolit Master

This is why My Glocks have always been STOCK.
    If it works right every shot, why screw with it.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Can you position the camera to show the gun cycling ?

Does the adapter on the front of the slide prevent the slide from going fully rearward ? ( like a 1911 shock-buff )

I've seen a ton of Glocks choking at USPSA/IPSC matches,. . . . the common denominator is they are "modified".

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    Can you position the camera to show the gun cycling ?

Does the adapter on the front of the slide prevent the slide from going fully rearward ? ( like a 1911 shock-buff )

I've seen a ton of Glocks choking at USPSA/IPSC matches,. . . . the common denominator is they are "modified".

The Glock is a gun you fight with....well, that is my reason for using it. If I want something different, I am not wasting money making it into something it cannot be....or that makes it unreliable to make it “better”.

If I wanted target guns I would have kept the two Clark’s I had. But I cannot shoot well enough anymore to compete in Bullseye. I was a one of those who denigrated Glocks until I owned one. If my life is on the line, I will reach for the Glock. It is the most reliable SA pistol I have ever owned. Only my revolvers are better.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    We run several Glocks among our family. All are box-stock, all are reliable with either factory loads or well-prepared handloads. 9mm, 40 S&W, 10mm, and 45 ACP. Nothing made by the hand of man can claim "Perfection", don't ya just love Austrian hubris? Still, those ugly plasticating striker-fired abominations made by a commercial pot maker seem to work very well for most people.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

cant help you. I own 2 23s and probably a dozen or more glocks and never had an issue with any of them. Sure theres other good guns but i get a kick out of people that bash glocks. Seems it makes them feel more gun savoy to bash the big dog. Glocks just plain work period. they aint purdy but when shtf the first gun im grabbling is a glock 22. Second choice would be a 19 or 23. Theres good reason when someone tests a gun they are allways comparing it to a glock.

Boolit Master

Beautiful day today, so after church, headed to the range to try the suggestions everyone had.

Gave the gun a good scrubbing and lubed it up with Break Free CLP. Cranked out a batch of 4 different loads with 3 different bullet types, grabbed 3 different magazines, an extra barrel, and changed out the Lone Wolf Distributors stainless steel recoil guide for a cheap plastic OEM copy.

Ran flawlessly the entire trip with all ammo and magazines and barrels. Looks like it was that dang LWD recoil spring.

Did a video of the experiment...

Boolit Buddy
    I don't want to high jack your thread but I'm with Lloyd. If Glocks are so bad why is every new gun that comes along is hailed as the new glock killer. BTW I'm glad you got your issue cleared up.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Beautiful day today, so after church, headed to the range to try the suggestions everyone had.

Gave the gun a good scrubbing and lubed it up with Break Free CLP. Cranked out a batch of 4 different loads with 3 different bullet types, grabbed 3 different magazines, an extra barrel, and changed out the Lone Wolf Distributors stainless steel recoil guide for a cheap plastic OEM copy.

Ran flawlessly the entire trip with all ammo and magazines and barrels. Looks like it was that dang LWD recoil spring.

Did a video of the experiment...

glad it worked out for you. Anymore i dont fool with my glocks. Yup they have a bit to heavy trigger pull but even that i can live with.

Boolit Master

Used to be straight up Sigs & 1911s till I start shooting IDPA & now my safe's got mostly glocks (G34, 19, 22, 27) including swap barrels in 9 & 357, & a few P80 builds (G19, G17, G34). Most stock glocks been burning 100s of rounds most weekly matches.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    wait...i thought it was glock perfection? Most people who say glocks are the best havnt shot other brands.I think they are over priced ugly paper weights. id rather have a STD than own one personally.
    Thank you for this useful input.

Boolit Master
    I put a Ghost 3.5 lb trigger connector in my 43 and in my 21. Both work fine. Trigger is about 4 pounds midway on the trigger. Glocks are tools, nothing more, nothing less; but they work.
    Britons shall never be slaves.