Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Loading .30-30 Win & 30.06 on a Dillon XL650?

Loading .30-30 Win & 30.06 on a Dillon XL650?

I'm fairly close to buying a Dillon XL650, as I shoot a huge amount of pistol rounds. I also load .30-30 and 30.06 and was wondering whether or not i can load these on this press?

I figure I could use the press as was it a single stage, using only one die at a time. And weighing every charge on a scale without using the Dillon powder-thingy! Whatta you think? Is it doable?

Moderator Emeritus
    Wiking,

Yes, you can load 30-30 and 30-06 on a 650. You will need two different conversion kits as each of those calibers use a different shell plate. If you get the case feeder, you will also need the large rifle shell plate for it.

I have loaded a lot of 30-30 and 30-06 on a 550 but recently got the conversion kit to load 30-06 on a 650. I load the rifle rounds progressively. I do size as a separate step using a different toolhead so that I can trim the brass before loading.

John

The conversion kits are gonna ruin me, but better than having to buy a single press.

You load them progressiely?? Than you don't weigh each charge by hand??

Moderator Emeritus
    Wiking,

Correct... I don't weigh the powder charges once the powder measure is set up. The charge bar drops a pretty consistent weight.

As a test, I have shot several rounds where the weighed charges intentionally varied by +/- .5 gr and the groups don't change much at 100 or 200 yds.

John

Okay, I quess I won't have to buy an additional press then

Boolit Master

First thing dont waste your time. A progressive is not strong enough to resize rifle brass. If you hang a case your going to bend a shell plate. Dont beleive these dummys that say you can, you will find out the hard way. But I did too

Boolit Grand Master
    My 1050 works fine for 308 and I have loaded 30-06 on my 650. If you are going to load 30-06, then I would size on a single stage press and clean off the lube, before you use the 650, or just process the brass first and clean the lube off, then run through the 650 to load. I had powder granules sticking to the lube on the case necks and causing problems. When I cut back on the neck lube, I would stick a case in the die and it would just pull the rim off, not bend the shellplate. PITA