RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Paint for Lyman M5 scale?

Paint for Lyman M5 scale?

I picked up a Lyman M5 . It’s solid and in fine mechanical condition but has lots of paint flaked off. Couldn’t pass it up for $30.
    Does anyone know of a decent paint to touch it up? I tried what looked like a decent match . It was model paint but of course it’s not a great match.
    If anyone knows of a particular color that’s even a decent match I’d appreciate it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kylongrifle View Post
    I picked up a Lyman M5 . It’s solid and in fine mechanical condition but has lots of paint flaked off. Couldn’t pass it up for $30.
    Does anyone know of a decent paint to touch it up? I tried what looked like a decent match . It was model paint but of course it’s not a great match.
    If anyone knows of a particular color that’s even a decent match I’d appreciate it. Thanks
    Go to a farm/ feed store and look at some Allis Chalmers tractor/ equipment orange spray paint. Might be a close match.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Grand Master
    Depends on what color it is. I've got to Lyman branded Ohaus scales and they are both different colors. One is a tan or beige, and the other is close to a hammered gray.

The tractor spray paint may be the best idea.

Robert

If it's chipped off much, that tells ya it wasn't nailed on very well at the factory,
    and probably isn't some sort of powder coat or epoxy.

It might be a good project to soak it in acetone, stripper, or something to bust off the rest.
    Then spray can the whole thing, or maybe even put a fancy powder coat finish on it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Some of the big box stores have a paint gun they can scan the part and it tells the color and mix to achieve it.

I would recommend a good cleaning and sanding or strip to bare metal this helps keep the chips or low spots from showing thru. Be aware of bearings, plastic parts, and scales / graduations. Depending on th paint you find it can be sprayed, brushed or for a textured finish dabbed with a sponge.

Preparation is the most important step here. Clean and prepare the surface well sanding and washing to get a proper surface to bond too.

Boolit Master

If you have a Lowe's near you that sells paint, they can mix you a can of paint that will match your scale color. I have one of those Lyman M-5 scales that I bought in the 1960's if I remember correctly, and it is a two tone, light cream cover and a light brown bronze body. It is my favorite scale I have and still own several scales. james

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    If you have a Lowe's near you that sells paint, they can mix you a can of paint that will match your scale color. I have one of those Lyman M-5 scales that I bought in the 1960's if I remember correctly, and it is a two tone, light cream cover and a light brown bronze body. It is my favorite scale I have and still own several scales. james
    I was thinking Lyman orange forgetting about the nice Lyman scale I had that was gray. I have never seen the tan two tone scale. After cleaning even Wally World could help you out. I like the balance beam scales, sent the Lyman's down the road for an older Pacific that has a bit better notches to hold the sliding weights in place better.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Bub
    you call lyman?

Boolit Master

One of the major spray paint mfrs. used to have a series of crinkle finish colors available. Anyone know if they are currently manufactured?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    Who cares if the paint is flaking off , does it still work ? just gives it charm and shows that it works for a living.

Boolit Buddy
    VHT makes the wrinkle paint in a spray can. The wrinkle paint will come out looking just like
    factory paint. Read the instructions well as you have to follow them for the paint to come out right.
    Also it should be heat treated to harden the paint.
    Advance Auto carries the VHT paints.

Boolit Bub
    The auto parts store I work at has a color analyzer that can read the color and either find a match or create a new color to match. The tricky part is you need a flat surface on the scale to read the color. And the paint on that spot needs to be in good clear condition. Any outside light messes up the readings. We can then mix the paint and put in an aerosol can. Call around to your local independent auto stores or NAPA. I wouldn’t bother with AZ or Advance as I don’t believe they carry paint.

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    One of the major spray paint mfrs. used to have a series of crinkle finish colors available. Anyone know if they are currently manufactured?
    Rust-Oleum? Ace Hardware

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    Lowe's has several colors of it on the shelf, as well as the 'hammer tone' stuff.
    Or, Amazon will have pretty much all of them still in production.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.