Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Legality of blocked hi-cap magazines, US vs Canada

Legality of blocked hi-cap magazines, US vs Canada

Up here, we are allowed to have "oversize" magazines as long as they are "permanently" blocked to 5 rd for semi-auto rifles and 10 for semi-auto handguns.

Down there, in the states like CA, NJ, NY, MD etc that have capacity limits, are you not allowed to have the "normal capacity" mags at all, or are you allowed to have blocked to 10?

We used to have no capacity limits for rimfire, but after someone made a handgun out of 10/22, everyone who owned 10+ rd mags for their 10/22 rifles suddenly had to block them to 10.
    Last edited by Tokarev; 11-04-2021 at 06:41 PM.

If a 200 round magazine was available, it would be legal in my state. After the Federal magazine law went into the sunset, we went right back to normal.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

AFAIK, in most US states that have magazine capacity limits, those limits usually apply only to centerfire cartridges/magazines, and not to .22RF magazines.

Of course, there are a few communist US states that have draconian/restrictive laws which cover as much as possible in the eyes of the framer(s).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If a 200 round magazine was available, it would be legal in my state. After the Federal magazine law went into the sunset, we went right back to normal.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    God Bless Texas!
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master

In 1989 after the Stockton School yard shooting all magazines in CA were limited to 10rds and still are. There were some blocked mags at the beginning, haven't seen any in many years. In rifles they are just short mags, in handguns nothing below the butt of the grips. So factory mags such as the Ruger std 10rd 10/22 and MkII are OK, Glock Mags and others are built as 10rds mags and can't be modified. Springfield Armory still sells it's M1A in CA with a 10rd mag. I have an AR that I bought in 1998 that came with a 10rd mag. I believe in CA that ARs now have to have fixed 10rd mags, that can only be loaded by pulling the rear pin and loading rds into the mag singlely. I could be wrong on that. The blasted CA gun laws are a complete nightmare.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    No such restrictions here in Arizona. I love the 25 rd magazines for the 10/22. Running jackrabbits hate them. We cherish freedom here.

To the best of my knowledge, here in Oregon there are magazine capacity restrictions for hunting, but none for carry or at the range.

DG

Boolit Master

No magazine restrictions in Tennessee except 5 rounds while hunting deer and bear unless some law has been passed that I do not know about. Tennessee is going to other way on guns as you can now carry without a permit and do it openly as reported by a local paper who is not exactly gun friendly. If I want to sell a rifle or pistol and the the buyer is from Tennessee, all I have to do is to obtain a copy of his drivers license and I can sell to him. Of course Tennessee requires that migratory bird hunting has to follow federal regulations. I haven't hunted in several years now but that is the law as I remember it. If I am wrong, someone from Tennessee please correct me. james

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    No magazine restrictions in Tennessee except 5 rounds while hunting deer and bear unless some law has been passed that I do not know about. Tennessee is going to other way on guns as you can now carry without a permit and do it openly as reported by a local paper who is not exactly gun friendly. If I want to sell a rifle or pistol and the the buyer is from Tennessee, all I have to do is to obtain a copy of his drivers license and I can sell to him. Of course Tennessee requires that migratory bird hunting has to follow federal regulations. I haven't hunted in several years now but that is the law as I remember it. If I am wrong, someone from Tennessee please correct me. james
    I don't think there are capacity limits here, just type (no FMJ) or automatic weapons.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    New York SAFE Act made it illegal to have more than (7) now ten rounds in your magazine. The law required you to get rid of the magazine or have it permanently modified to only hold (7) now 10 rounds. The law is vague, blocking & rivets seem to meet "permanent" description.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, here in Oregon there are magazine capacity restrictions for hunting, but none for carry or at the range.

DG
    That only applies when hunting "game" animals with semi-automatics. All other usage, including hunting varmints and vermin shooting/hunting, that does not apply. Or at least the last time I hunted in Oregon.

As an Arizonan now, like marlin39a, I love the freedom here.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Missouri has no limits on handgun or rifle magazine restrictions, except maybe for birds. I think the limit is 3 rounds. Kansas and Missouri follow each other closely. We have no permit concealed carry and open carry.

3 rd for hunting migratory birds is probably a North American thing because up here we have the same limit for the same purpose. Shotguns have to have a stick inserted, to not allow more than 2 in the mag and 1 in the chamber. But there is no requirement for it to be permanent - it only has to be in place at the moment a "fish cop" checks up on you.

Boolit Master

If I remember correctly, the 3 shot magazine capacity is a Federal Migratory Bird law that is in place because of a UN treaty. Or a treaty of some kind. Crows that used to be open season the year round without the need for a license or limit here in Tennessee, is now placed into a hunting season because of a treaty with Mexico. I haven't had a set of Tennessee hunting regulations for several years now so things might have changed. james