Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Lyman 61.

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 61.

Hello folks. New here to the forum but have heard nothing but great things about the folks here.
    I'm cleaning up an old Lyman 61 pot...removing all the rust etc. Given to me by a friend of mind. It belonged to his dad. So I'm putting back the connection where the plug goes onto the pot where the two prongs exit and there is what looks to be some sort of fiberglass gasket. The layers of glossy stuff is coming off and starts to break. Is there some kind of material I can cut to shape and install on top? I'm trying to attach photos but for some reason I can't add them.
    Last edited by dearslayer; 11-05-2021 at 01:20 AM.

Boolit Master

I think the material you are referring to is mica. It was/is used as an electrical insulator. I don't have any idea what you might use to replace it but I'm sure someone will be along who knows.
    Chuck

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Chuck. Someone in another forum confirmed your statement that it is indeed Mica. I'm able to post photos in that forum (CGN ). That person said it should be fine to use as is however I should keep an eye out for some ,"fish paper" or bakelite or Mica sheets in the future. This gasket looks like many layers of Mica stacked together. Funny because I use new Mica gaskets in audio restoration for transistor outputs but I don't have any that large.

Boolit Master

It is used in electrical panels for insulation. I live in a coal mining area and it is quite common. I replaced mine a couple of times. This board and troubles with wire terminals and thermostat forced me to go to a PID and eliminate all wiring except wires directly to the heating elemeny.

Boolit Buddy
    I wonder if an electrical supply company would have something that I could use to either layer it or replace it.

Boolit Buddy
    Trying to upload photos but nothing I try works. What's the secret?

Boolit Buddy
    Electric motor repair or welder repair shops should have phenolic or fiberglass sheet, as it can be cut and drilled as needed and withstands higher temps. I've seen it in welder power supplies in 1/8 to 1/4" thick as connector mounts. May also find some thing usable at a truck/farm starter repair shop. If the mica was close to the heat some cerowool could be used to protect the phenolic from the heat. Most mica that I've seen avalable now is the thinner type [<1/16"] used for old wood stove or Coleman globes. Hope this helps.
    Shaune509

Maybe you could layer the wood stove sheet mica to get the thickness you need. I've seen 4x4" sheets go for around $6.00. Maybe you can make it yourself. The best way would be go manmade with it like shaune509 suggested.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    This board and troubles with wire terminals and thermostat forced me to go to a PID and eliminate all wiring except wires directly to the heating elemeny.
    +1.

I also have a Lyman 61 and IMO the two prong plug at the thermostat is the weak link. Since I use a PID, I'm replacing the original wire/plug with a generic, high temp kiln replacement cord and go direct to the element.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dearslayer View Post
    Trying to upload photos but nothing I try works. What's the secret?
    take a look-see in the "Frequently Asked Questions" section for hints n tricks for most all forum functions.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/for...sked-Questions
    then use the search function for "pictures"

The usual problem is the pic file being too large. I always use my iPhone and then send the pics to my email account. The iPhone always asks what size and I always select Medium. Then I save the pics from my email to my PC and upload to a forum post. I'm sure there are way easier ways (programs), but since my iPhone method is working for me...

Edit added: pics aside I did a search for "mica insulation sheets" and found a lot of hits. Some are replacement sheets/windows for coal/wood stoves. Presumably they would be pretty thick. https://www.etsy.com/listing/8159283...ng_top-4&frs=1
    Last edited by oley55; 11-06-2021 at 06:08 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Welcome to the forum. The 61 is a great old pot. Still using mine. I use a PID too. Set it and forget it. Holds temp to + - 2 *.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    take a look-see in the "Frequently Asked Questions" section for hints n tricks for most all forum functions.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/for...sked-Questions
    then use the search function for "pictures"

The usual problem is the pic file being too large. I always use my iPhone and then send the pics to my email account. The iPhone always asks what size and I always select Medium. Then I save the pics from my email to my PC and upload to a forum post. I'm sure there are way easier ways (programs), but since my iPhone method is working for me...

Edit added: pics aside I did a search for "mica insulation sheets" and found a lot of hits. Some are replacement sheets/windows for coal/wood stoves. Presumably they would be pretty thick. https://www.etsy.com/listing/8159283...ng_top-4&frs=1
    Thanks for the link!! I reached out to the retailer on Esty but he doesn't have anything near the thickness I require.