Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Danzig Mauser

Boolit Buddy

Danzig Mauser

I've got a Gewehrfabrik Danzig Mauser that I'm trying to determine a fair value. A friend owns it, I want it, but neither of us know what's fair. I've narrowed it down to being made in 1919 or early 1920 and it would have been 8mm. The owner says a member of his family brought it back from Europe in the 1920's. Some time after that he had it re-barrelled in 30-06 in New York state. The barrel is marked 30-06, JA, and P. JA is supposedly the gunsmiths initials and the P indicates proof tested. It all sounds logical. There were a few small rust areas, a small split repaired on the forend, and the stock was cut to add a pachmayr recoil pad. The bore is fine. The front sight and rear peep is Lyman. The quality of work is exceptional. He's a good friend so maybe I'll just borrow it indefinitely. I have no publications on Mauser so I only know what I read on the internet. I'm sure there are plenty on this forum that know Mauser history and value.
    Thanx
    Shelly
    Attachment 291215
    Attachment 291216
    Attachment 291214
    Attachment 291217
    Attachment 291218
    Attachment 291219
    Attachment 291220
    Attachment 291221
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Nice rifle.
    High levels of customizing military rifles was pretty common after WWII and into the 50's.
    I've heard of a few 03A3s re-done for .300WinMag.

Even though Mauser actions are the prime starting point for many, many custom rifle builders--
    From what I've seen, selling a sporterized rifle for a decent price is very difficult.
    I'm no gun appraiser, but with the receiver sight, set triggers, new .30-06 barrel, split stock:

Down here-- I'd figure $700 at the most, and it would sit in a gun store rack for a long time.
    Most people would look at it, and think they could buy a brand new Remington or something for about the same price.
    In the 50s when sporterizing military rifles was going so strong was because one was a lot cheaper than a new rifle.

Another issue-
    It'd cost way more to buy a fresh one, and do all that, but most people don't know what they're looking at with one done that well.
    Most people would look past it not even knowing what set triggers and receiver sights are.
    And collectors will say its not original, and pass on it or want it on the cheap.

I had a Really, really nice unfired/unissued and professionally sporterized Remington O3A3 close to what that Mauser is.
    I was so disappointed in what it would sell for, I gave it to my sister.
    New bolt handle, Timeny trigger, 50s era Fajen stock, Redfield 5 star scope, etc.
    Now days; It wouldn't sell for what the billet/machined new floor plate cost-- when they were still available.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-04-2021 at 02:39 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I sold mine last year for $800 and the buyer was anxious to get it for that. However mine was not drilled and tapped for scope or receiver sights and had the original barrel.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

Back when I was becoming aware of how things worked, I was talking to an old hand about sported military arms and his take on the subject was you could pick up a nice milsurp rifle for a couple hundred bucks and put in a couple hundred to make it nice and turn around and sell it and get your original $200 back. It is a shame that fine work is not considered " worth it " any more. Works of functional art just do not get the appreciation they deserve, figuratively or monetarily. On the other hand I have a couple functional works of art I got for cheap and I love them. Maybe the best way to determine value would be in a trade of some sort with no money changing hands. I have participated in several deals like that and it left both parties feeling good about the deal.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    Other than the double triggers, it is probably not worth much more than any other run of the mill sported 30/06 military Mauser. I'm guessing most of the markings that would give it collector value were on the barrel (who did the original conversion). Recoil pad and the drill and tap don't add any "collector" value either. If I saw it at a gunshow with a price much more than $300 I would probably pass on it, but that's just me.

What it WAS, was an original Mauser Model A or B sporting rifle made by Danzig. In original condition worth a couple thousand dollars. In it's present condition, horn but plate missing, drilled and tapped for scope, rebarreled, worth no more than a typical sporterized military rifle in my opinion.

Boolit Master

I love those paneled German stocks but they are not prized by the younger generation today. Trouble is, well sporterized rifles do not sell all that well today. The double triggers are worth more than what most people would be willing to pay for the rifle. Timney makes an excellent adjustable trigger that will easily replace the double trigger and at less than half the price. The steel micrometer rear sight is worth more than the current aluminum ones. The rifle would be worth more if taken apart and the pieces sold than if it remains together. The market in rifles has changed over the years and todays market is plastic and aluminum. At a gun show that rifle would be hard to sell at $400.00 in todays world. I am a steel and wood kind of guy and plastic does not interest me one bit. just my .02 and experience an not binding on anyone, james

Boolit Master
    Dollars are devaluing rapidly. What is your friendship worth is the real question. Ask what he would be happy with, give it to him, and be happy with a fine rifle. IMHO.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

The re-barreling, etc has taken it out of the "collectible" category & moved it into the "shooter" category.

IMO, today a sporterized Mauser 98 in .30-06 is slightly more saleable - but still worth about $350 (+/-).

An all original military Model 98 Mauser, rare because very many have been sporterized, should bring 2x-3x as much.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

A plain jane sporterized M98 (decently done and not bubba'd) may be worth just $350 but this M98, with the Lyman receiver sight, D&t'd and with the double set triggers is worth more. I'd say in the $600 - $800 dollar range, especially if the bore is excellent.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    What it WAS, was an original Mauser Model A or B sporting rifle made by Danzig. In original condition worth a couple thousand dollars. In it's present condition, horn but plate missing, drilled and tapped for scope, rebarreled, worth no more than a typical sporterized military rifle in my opinion.
    Wasn't Danzig a government arsenal? I had a similar sporter with a Gerard scope in claw mounts, DST, two leaf rear sight, and paneled stock. It had a stepped 8x57mm barrel- and a Danzig 98 action.
    Only Mauser Orbendorf made the Original Mauser Sporters. As far as I know.....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Wasn't Danzig a government arsenal? .
    Only Mauser Orbendorf made the Original Mauser Sporters. As far as I know.....
    Probably so.

My interpretation was he's got a WWI battlefield pick up that was sporterized.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Buddy
    From what I've read, and it's on the internet so it must be fact, the Danzig factory started producing sporters using leftover military parts or guns after WWI in 1919 but were shut down by the Versailles Peace Treaty mandate that Germany could not produce weapons. They ceased all production in early 1920. I also read that most were shipped out of Germany because not many could afford sporting arms then.

Shelly

I did a little investigation into Danzig Mausers a year ago as my sister-in-law was trying to assist an elderly couple dispose of personal items to move into a personal care facility.

The Danzig arsenal was a government facility & after WW1 was closed as part of the armistice agreement . The one we were dealing with was a unmolested military model in rough condition. I removed much rust from the bore, but it still had some rifling left. It was complete with unmatched numbers. I forget how much it brought on consignment through a local dealer, but think it was in the $250-300.00 range.

If I recall correctly the interest stemmed from the fact that the Danzig production numbers were low.

Not being knowledgeable enough to add to the above posts, I have one question. Is there any concern about the action being strong enough to handle the pressure of a modern 30-06 cartridge?
    Deplorable infidel

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    Not being knowledgeable enough to add to the above posts, I have one question. Is there any concern about the action being strong enough to handle the pressure of a modern 30-06 cartridge?
    Oh yeah.

Back when all the sporterizing, custom rifle builds were going on,
    you'd often read about the '98 Mausers receivers being built into some African dangerous game cartridges.

It's all about chamber pressure, and the difference between .30-06 and 8mm Mauser is well with the groove for them.

EVERYONE!

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    Many are the 8mm Mausers brought home from a world war that were simply re-chambered to .30-06 (with a few small clearance cuts on the action) because there was NO 8x57 ammunition available in the US after the war(s).

The 8x57 Mauser cartridge/chambering only became popular in the US after 1978, when Remington first started chambering their highly demanded Model 700 for it.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    To me it would be of more value for the same reasons Larry listed. Final value would be in how well it shoots, ie, the barrel quality. If it has not had many rounds through it and shoots sub-MOA, then I could see spending $800 on it. If it is a 2" or 3" at 100yd gun, then I'd not spend more than $300 on it (and then I'd have a good barrel put on it ).

Quote Originally Posted by 26Charlie View Post
    Dollars are devaluing rapidly. What is your friendship worth is the real question. Ask what he would be happy with, give it to him, and be happy with a fine rifle. IMHO.
    That to me would decide the real value of the rifle. I wouldn't want to low ball a good friend.

Boolit Buddy
    I've found a couple rifles I'd be willing to trade. He can have is choice. Even if he doesn't want to trade I can shoot it any time I want.
    I appreciate all the input. I've always appreciated the european style lightweight bolt guns. It would be nice to know which smith did the work.

Shelly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast