Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling Airgun woes

Selling Airgun woes

I have sold countless guns and reloading stuff over the years.With very few problems.
    But about every air gun I sell the person I sell the to finds some reason to want money back or return it.

Recently in gunbroker I sold an HW98 at half price and I said "it is used or probably will be a mark somewhere". The buyer found one pin prick of "rust " on the barrel and said unacceptable.

Another one I sold an eBay 2 months ago I said clearly the under level falls down occasionally(known issue with this model). The person returned it because the under that fell down.saying "I wasn't clear on the description"

Another was one I added sling swivels to(noted in the ad).A return was requested because there was a faint black mark by the swivel.It was the pen mark I used to mark the hole. He said it would take hundreds of dollars of professional refinishing to correct it.

Another time I sold a Beaman R1. I'd mentioned that the stock was a different vintage than the action or the barrel. Not a collector's gun but a good shooting gun is how I described it . He returned it because I said San Rafael on the af and the beeman address was Santa Rosa and he was a "high end collector and it just did not fit his standards"

I can't figure this out.but it's a certain type of person every time.
    Last edited by HARRYMPOPE; 11-03-2021 at 11:40 PM.

Markets for certain things are prone to that.

It's super common for 'girl things' like dishes, antique dolls, glass ware, etc.
    A favorite trick is if someone has a item that's broken, sees a deal for the same thing on ebay or somewhere, and buys it.
    Then complains its broken, and wants a refund.
    Then they send you back their old broken one.

I don't sell much any more, but when I do, it's here on S&S or face to face.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

The folks here have been the most honest group swapping and selling

Boolit Master

One reason I hate to sell anything , the better deal you give them the more they want to chip away at the price , but it sounds like those buyers are a class of aristocrats all to themselves .

Quote Originally Posted by HARRYMPOPE View Post
    The folks here have been the most honest group swapping and selling
    Oh yeah.
    I've sold stuff to old, long time, 'gray boolit' wearing member/posters here that was less than perfect.
    I'd tell 'em to check it out first, be sure it was what they wanted, then send me the money.
    I never had a problem.

In fact:
    A time or two, they've sent me more than the agreed on price..... Once- WAY! more.
    There might be other places like this on the 'net,,, but you'll have to look pretty hard to find them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post
    One reason I hate to sell anything , the better deal you give them the more they want to chip away at the price , but it sounds like those buyers are a class of aristocrats all to themselves .
    Yup.and all of these sour deals were sold way below the average price.

Moderator Emeritus

My sincere "sorry!" sentiments to you! Some years back my older son sold -- on eBay -- an Ibinez (sp?) guitar he had had. Same deal, with a bovine-excrement reason for return -- and the returned guitar was NOT the one son had sold and shipped! (He had paid for a repair on his, with the plug-in metal area being gold in colour; "returned" guitar's was (stock) silver!) We complained to eBay, and it turned out to be OUR fault (huh???) because photos were not included in description showing serial number of sent guitar; the "colour" of the plate -- being metal -- could have, according to them, been easily altered with lighting, etc..
    I've not sold anything on eBay since...
    Again, I hear your "pain" -- but, just like there is no such thing as a perfect lawn -- there's ALWAYS a weed or two intermingles in the grass -- hopefully MOST is/are OK!
    geo

Boolit Master
    I once saw a guy complain about a kitchen remodel, a 25 foot run of crown moulding was spliced , he wanted one piece and really showed his backside. I knew both parties reasonably well, the guy that complained about the moulding knew better but after a $100 discount all was well. The deal left some hard feelings as the price was very reasonable to begin with.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had one gun returned of the many I sold on GB. The guy was an ass and but it was a good lesson. I will never allow a return again. I believe you can change the return policy when listing an item.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    I've sold more than just a few things online or through ads. Although I've never had any of those things returned to me, there was always that dread that someone would ask for their money back for some lame reason.

The worst I've every experienced was my shipped item being lost in transit. Fortunately, the item being shipped was a very low dollar value item. If you sell enough things over the internet, the odds are that eventually someone somewhere will ask for their money back for whatever reason.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master

I traded a Kimber 45 for a Rem 700 308 once, kid's friend told him it was a bad deal and kid requested a redo, I said sure, as I know for a fact that the Kimber is worth more, and the heavy barrel 308 was just too heavy for hunting, and I had already taken the deer I wanted, so gave me time to look for a better hunting rifle. My search turned out great, found a Rem 700 308, and a Weatherby Vanguard in 270 for what I expected to pay for the 308 alone. So sometimes it turns out for the best.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Most ads I list include this "as is, no returns. Please ask questions."

Boolit Master
    I bought a muzzle loader, actually two at the same time from a seller on here and when they got here I found that the trigger on one of them was not working so I called him and he was all kinds of apologetic and offered me a refund. I asked if he had parts since he had mentioned that he bought these guns in lots to part out the bad ones and he told me he did so I said just send me the trigger assembly and we are good. I have sent back guns I bought new that were not right but that is new and I expect new but when I buy used here I know I will be treated right and if something is wrong 99% of the time a simple message or call will solve the whole problem and everyone is happy.

Boolit Master
    I had a guy want to buy an expensive stock. First red flag was he wanted shipment before payment. I occasionally do that anyways but not if it's requested. Next he said don't cash the check, l might want to return it. For this guy I made sure the check was good. Then, he wanted to return it almost before he got it, demanding payment before returning it. I said you want the favor, return it undamaged and I'll refund your money. Never heard from him again.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Most ads I list include this "as is, no returns. Please ask questions."
    The latest stated that.clearly in the ad.this person is a psychopath.
    Here is the picture of the "deep rust " .it was three small areas.steel wool and oil and its gone.he says hundreds of dollars to reblue entire gun

This was my description in my ad.

"Gun is used and probably has some marks the pictures missed"

The rifle sold for 50% under new cost and came in original Box.Less than one year old. Some people can't take a good deal.

Attachment 291280
    Last edited by HARRYMPOPE; 11-05-2021 at 10:14 PM.

Banned
    People aren't as honest and forthright as they used to be. That works bad on both ends. When a buyer expects a seller to be dishonest they use that as an excuse to treat them badly. It's all about godlessness. People just can't abide by the golden rule anymore... (Most young people don't even know what it is)

Boolit Buddy
    It's the same in other areas too. I was a salesman for a local Ford dealership in '93. (I found out sales takes a certain mentally and I ain't it) Anyway a guy comes in and buys a Mustang. For the next week and a half this pinhead comes in pointing out little inconsequential things that were "wrong" with the vehicle. The manager/owner took care of the perceived problems. The final straw was when Mr. Pinhead came in and pointed out a couple bits of weld splash under the lip of the front wheel well. The Manager told this clod to get off the property and never come back. Told him to take his business elsewhere next time.
    Fifty years a lawyer and you still look down your nose at your fellow citizens who study and know law better than you. Every
    citizen is an attorney.

6mm win lee

Im a salesman and deal with this daily.this *** is like the one you just described

Boolit Master

What under lever and how much?
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    A friend on another forum listed an older Weaver scope as free. He paid the freight to the person requesting it. This guy complained that the scope had ring marks. Out of all the items bought here, only two were not good deals for me. I had assumed and did not ask before buying. That was on me. My entire working life dealt with the public in one way or another. Some of these folks are just plain nuts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast