2 0.41%
  • 45 Auto Rim

2 0.41%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 45 Caliber Cartridges

[
    QUOTE=Txcowboy52;5327322]I happen to like the .45 auto rim myself.[/QUOTE]

I'll second that one
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

With this poll you will notice at least two things.

There is no "45lc" and due to the 45-70, the ".45 caliber bullet" is not a "pistol caliber"!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    With this poll you will notice at least two things.

There is no "45lc" and due to the 45-70, the ".45 caliber bullet" is not a "pistol caliber"!
    I have a BFR revolver in 45/70. Does that make it a revolver firing a rifle cartridge or does that make it a rifle and handgun cartridge?
    I also have Encore frames that I have rifle cartridges chambered in handgun barrel length barrels.
    The BFR with a 515 grain at 1450 is nice. Course it is a slight handful.

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    I have a BFR revolver in 45/70. Does that make it a revolver firing a rifle cartridge or does that make it a rifle and handgun cartridge?
    I also have Encore frames that I have rifle cartridges chambered in handgun barrel length barrels.
    The BFR with a 515 grain at 1450 is nice. Course it is a slight handful.
    It means that whatever the cartridge was designed for is what it is.....but can be used in other firearms.

Just because it can be used in a pistol revolver doesn't make it a pistol cartridge. A .30 Carbine has been chambered in a revolver, does that make it a pistol cartridge?

Boolit Master
    It means that whatever the cartridge was designed for is what it is.....but can be used in other firearms.

Just because it can be used in a pistol revolver doesn't make it a pistol cartridge. A .30 Carbine has been chambered in a revolver, does that make it a pistol cartridge?
    Well,. While it is being fired in a handgun could it be called a handgun cartridge? I have 45/70 rifles too. There it could be called a rifle cartridge. Could the 44 Mag be called a rifle cartridge if it is being fired in a rifle?

Well,. While it is being fired in a handgun could it be called a handgun cartridge? I have 45/70 rifles too. There it could be called a rifle cartridge. Could the 44 Mag be called a rifle cartridge if it is being fired in a rifle?
    If it is a rifle cartridge, it is a rifle cartridge that can be used in a handgun....or a tank, whichever you decide to argue.

If I have a pistol chambered in .308, is it a pistol cartridge? No, it is a rifle cartridge that is being used in a pistol.

I am at work and have nothing better to do but reply all day long....or at least until 6pm

Boolit Master
    If it is a rifle cartridge, it is a rifle cartridge that can be used in a handgun....or a tank, whichever you decide to argue.

If I have a pistol chambered in .308, is it a pistol cartridge? No, it is a rifle cartridge that is being used in a pistol.

I am at work and have nothing better to do but reply all day long....or at least until 6pm
    What if one calls a rifle cartridge/Handgun a "rifgun" cartridge?
    Just having some jocularity on a nice Sunday morning. None of this really matters. You know that. My wife calls me nutjob but that really isn't my name.

Boolit Master
    thought it was a pifle
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot both and load both in hollow point the 45-70 And the 45 Acp
    The Soldier that Volunteers, fighting for his Country and his rights,
    makes the most reliable Soldier on Earth.

Boolit Master
    the only bullets that go through my 45 colt are ones I cast myself

Boolit Master
    What if one calls a rifle cartridge/Handgun a "rifgun" cartridge?
    Just having some jocularity on a nice Sunday morning. None of this really matters. You know that. My wife calls me nutjob but that really isn't my name.
    You know, the more I learn about cartridges and the more I experiment with different powders and bullets in them, the more I think that designation as a rifle or pistol cartridge is pretty meaningless, sort of a relic of an old way of thinking about things - or at least, it's an artifact of a time when almost everyone was stuck using factory ammo with factory powder and bullet selections.

If a distinction must be made, I feel like the most useful one is straightwall VS bottleneck cartridges, because that actually tells you something about how the cartridge functions and what kind of powder might be appropriate in it. Only to an extent though, the barrel length really should be considered when choosing a powder.

I'm biased though, I mostly shoot the same two cartridges in both rifles and pistols: 22LR and 357mag.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

I like the 460 since you can shoot 45 LC, 454 Casull and 460. Covers the power bases in 45 calibers..

Boolit Buddy
    I have three of those 45 calibers as favorites. Among revolvers is 1st , last, and always 45 colt. My two granddads told me was no such thing as 45 long colt. Is strictly 45 colt. They both carried that caliber as law enforcement folks for a lot of years. I am originally from Oklahoma, and one was a town marshall, carried an old SMITH 1917 in 45 colt, before smith had model numbers.
    The other carried an old SAA colt, for about 20 years as a county deputy, and sheriff.
    I went into the ARMY reserves at 17 1/2 with my moms permission, transition over to full time COAST GUARD, and carried a 1911 for 20 years, and had my own for about 30 years. I am now 71 and 1/2. My favorite rifle of all time, a Marlin 1895 45-70. I have a Henry Lever 45-70, and an old H & R single shot shikari 45-70. I also have an AR - 10 308, and a bolt , left handed ruger, 30-06.
    Load for all of them.

Boolit Master

the 45-70 is one of the best do it all cartridges in existence IMO.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    the 45-70 is one of the best do it all cartridges in existence IMO.
    I'd have to agree with that

Boolit Master
    .45 auto rim to me is no.1 no. .45 colt .45 auto .45-70govt.

Boolit Master

Like many others I shoot 45 ACP and 45-70 Both are great rounds I have 4 45 acp guns and two 45-70 .
    I have one EDC Sig P-245 that only carries factory +P ammo for legal reasons . I rarely use a Sig P-220 imported as a Browning BDA it shoot jacketed bullets great but with a .453" groove depth and a tight chamber is poor with cast bullets . Both my 1911 and High point Carbine get a steady diet of cast bullets .

I also have two 45-70 rifles a Springfield model 1884 made in 1889 and a Marlin 1895 both get very different loads but both are set up for cast bullets .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy
    My most reloaded is 45 Colt, followed by 45acp, 454 Casull and 45-70. With cast bullets of course.

Boolit Mold
    Because I shoot CAS and I’m a BP fanatic all my lever guns are .45C. With pistols it’s another story, the ones I shoot the most are .44 cap and ball, followed by .45C and .45ACP respectively. In the last year I’ve started shooting BPCR long range using the .45-70 and I love it. Did I mention that I love BP??

Boolit Bub
    I voted 45 acp but really am staring to enjoy the 45 Rim a little more as I don’t have to retrieve them.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast