Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 357 LCR heavy use??

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.

Ruger 357 LCR heavy use??

Do they hold up?

I'm considering purchasing a Ruger LCR and doing a lot of close range rapid fire drills with speed loaders, keith bullets, and h110

Of course it doesn't always have to be that flashy. The biggest advantage of revolvers is their versatility as a handloaders pistol.

Interestingly enough I have found a way to rationalize this.

I have an eight cavity miha 358429 mold.

A bunch of HKS speedloaders.

It would be extra awesome if it fits in the same Safariland inside the waistband holster that the j-frame 357 snub fits in.

Have any of y'all run hard a Ruger LCR?

Boolit Master
    You're a better man than me, if you can feed your 357 LCR a steady diet of stout loads of H-110 powder. My choice of slow burning powder stops with 2400 for mine...........because it can be downloaded safely, unlike H-110.

I have just under 1000 rounds through mine. Mostly loaded with faster powders like W231, Unique, Bullesye and AA#7. I'm not the least bit recoil shy but there can be too much of a good thing. My range session, with my light weight pistols, (CA Bulldog or 357 LCR) is usually limited to 20-25 rounds. Any more rounds is counter productive.

I have my own backyard range. Usually, when I walk down to the berm to hang targets for rifle shooting, I take one of the light weights and four or five speed loaders. For the LCR, my choice of loader is the Zeta6 J-Clip-R.

https://zetasix.com/product/j-clip-r/

Wish they were available for the 44 Special Bulldog.

Winelover

If you are thinking about speed loading see about having it cut for moon clips. Much faster then speed loaders.

Also, why the heavy loads for practice? Not even Dirty Harry used magnum loads for practice. Plus you can load a lot more rounds with Unique then you can H110.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I'm with Winelover on this subject. I have a .357 Ruger SP101, and now own a LCR 9mm (pretty rare). The SP is an honest to goodness .357 frame that can take "full house" loads all day; however, I enjoy the .357 in a bigger platform! The LCR, as well as the "J" frame Smiths, is far too light IMO (and to lightly constructed) to handle factory loads even if you can. Loading down will mitigate some of the recoil, but using a .38Spl with +P's loads would have much the same effect.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    If you are thinking about speed loading see about having it cut for moon clips. Much faster then speed loaders.

Also, why the heavy loads for practice? Not even Dirty Harry used magnum loads for practice. Plus you can load a lot more rounds with Unique then you can H110.
    In my opinion, the thin .38/.357 moon clips are not suitable for self defense carry. They bend too easily and a bent moon ties up the gun. I use moon clip guns in ICORE and USPSA and even there, I don’t load the moons on my belt until I’m on deck. Bumping a prop or bit of range equipment has bent .38 moons on my belt.

For serious use, I carry speedloaders.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

H110 smells good when I shoot my revolvers

Boolit Master
    I have not subjected a LCR to a lot of seriously heavy loads in any quantity. Nor would I want to.

Besides the stuff mentioned above,, (light gun, heavy recoil, etc,) I look at things with a thought towards practicality.

Ruger built the LCR as an answer to the desires of a LIGHT easy to conceal, easy to shoot revolver due to customer demands. Now,, I teach handgunning,, and I always say; "Light weight, easy to carry,, heavy recoil. Heavy weight, harder to carry, lighter recoil,, it's PHYSICS."
    That said,, in this case I'll delve a bit deeper.
    When you lighten a gun like the way Ruger did with the LCR,, I do not believe it was an effort to build a gun that can be subjected to a lot of excessive use & heavy loads. I think you'd be looking at a failure of something after a period of time & use. And even good quality steel guns can have issues. The S&W M-19 was designed as a LEO gun,, yet,, it's known to have issues after a lot of heavy use with heavy loads. It was designed around a "normal" police load & use.

With that,, PERSONALLY,, I would look at a different model if my desire was to shoot a lot of top tier loads using H110.

I went with the 38 special. 3.0grCLAYS with a 125-130gr makes a nice clean practice load

Lots of practice thanks to the DILLON XL650

clanging steel at 90+ yards

Hogue tamer grips help a lot. I used some of my daughters black fingernail polish to slick up the bottom of the grip for a smoother draw from a pocket holster

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    I went with the 38 special. 3.0grCLAYS with a 125-130gr makes a nice clean practice load

Lots of practice thanks to the DILLON XL650

clanging steel at 90+ yards

Hogue tamer grips help a lot. I used some of my daughters black fingernail polish to slick up the bottom of the grip for a smoother draw from a pocket holster

Fantastic pictures Derek 45! What kind of sight picture / sight alignment are you using when you shoot at 90 yards?

When I shoot my 9 m m further than 50 yards I have to hold under. When I shot the steel plate at 120 yards with the CZ po9 I was aiming about an inch or two below the 6 o clock position on the plate and I was striking about an inch and a half below the 12 position. The windage is perfect and requires no kentucky adjustment. The ar500 plate is about 1 ft across and I spray painted it white to make it easier to see.

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    I have not subjected a LCR to a lot of seriously heavy loads in any quantity. Nor would I want to.

Besides the stuff mentioned above,, (light gun, heavy recoil, etc,) I look at things with a thought towards practicality.

Ruger built the LCR as an answer to the desires of a LIGHT easy to conceal, easy to shoot revolver due to customer demands. Now,, I teach handgunning,, and I always say; "Light weight, easy to carry,, heavy recoil. Heavy weight, harder to carry, lighter recoil,, it's PHYSICS."
    That said,, in this case I'll delve a bit deeper.
    When you lighten a gun like the way Ruger did with the LCR,, I do not believe it was an effort to build a gun that can be subjected to a lot of excessive use & heavy loads. I think you'd be looking at a failure of something after a period of time & use. And even good quality steel guns can have issues. The S&W M-19 was designed as a LEO gun,, yet,, it's known to have issues after a lot of heavy use with heavy loads. It was designed around a "normal" police load & use.

With that,, PERSONALLY,, I would look at a different model if my desire was to shoot a lot of top tier loads using H110.
    What I like most about the LCR is with the boot grips it fits my hand really well.

It's light and handy and it felt well-made.

I found the double action trigger pull was extremely smooth and easy to control while dry firing at the gun shop. In the past couple of years I have handled a couple of the short barrel 38 special and a couple of the 357 models and they all felt identical to me (good in hand).

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post

I don't like Moon clips. They feel flimsy to me. I like HKS speedloaders, they can bang around in an ammo can and doesn't hurt em at all when they're dirty I just clean them with soap and water.

It's not only about the fireball, although the power feels good in my hand, I have a couple pounds of h110. Also got couple pounds of Autocomp I've been experimenting with in 9x19.

Wish I had a bunch of unique I like the way it shoots and the way it smells.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    In my opinion, the thin .38/.357 moon clips are not suitable for self defense carry. They bend too easily and a bent moon ties up the gun. I use moon clip guns in ICORE and USPSA and even there, I don’t load the moons on my belt until I’m on deck. Bumping a prop or bit of range equipment has bent .38 moons on my belt.

For serious use, I carry speedloaders.
    I agree with you on speed loaders.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
    I'm with Winelover on this subject. I have a .357 Ruger SP101, and now own a LCR 9mm (pretty rare). The SP is an honest to goodness .357 frame that can take "full house" loads all day; however, I enjoy the .357 in a bigger platform! The LCR, as well as the "J" frame Smiths, is far too light IMO (and to lightly constructed) to handle factory loads even if you can. Loading down will mitigate some of the recoil, but using a .38Spl with +P's loads would have much the same effect.
    What's your favorite revolvers to shoot full power 357?

Which SP101 do you have? I have a 4in stainless steel 357 with the fiber optic front sight. I need to send it back for warranty has some incorrect assembly from the factory combined with extensive heavy use on my part.

How does the 9 mm shoot from the LCR?

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    You're a better man than me, if you can feed your 357 LCR a steady diet of stout loads of H-110 powder. My choice of slow burning powder stops with 2400 for mine...........because it can be downloaded safely, unlike H-110.

I have just under 1000 rounds through mine. Mostly loaded with faster powders like W231, Unique, Bullesye and AA#7. I'm not the least bit recoil shy but there can be too much of a good thing. My range session, with my light weight pistols, (CA Bulldog or 357 LCR) is usually limited to 20-25 rounds. Any more rounds is counter productive.

I have my own backyard range. Usually, when I walk down to the berm to hang targets for rifle shooting, I take one of the light weights and four or five speed loaders. For the LCR, my choice of loader is the Zeta6 J-Clip-R.

https://zetasix.com/product/j-clip-r/

Wish they were available for the 44 Special Bulldog.

Winelover
    The steady diet thing is going to be limited by either the bones in my hand or the wearing of the gun

These 168-170 grain keith bullets chronograph touching 1100 feet per second from this little gun. I like h110

Boolit Grand Master

The Lightweight Aluminum framed , 357 Magnum , J-frame revolver is not designed for extended shooting ... the aluminum will wear faster than steel . Ruger makes some hell for stout handguns and if shot with 38 special ammo will hold up for a while ... can't say how many rounds but ...it should be quite a lot ...
    If you want to use it in that way ...go for it . Ruger will take care of "normal" wear and tear and that includes shooting a lot .
    You buy Em' to shoot Em' ... when they wear out ... get them repaired !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I don't think you will have any problems with durability. The .38 Special version was tested with 6,000 rounds of +P and still met factory spec despite its aluminum frame. I bought my LCR in .357 because of its steel frame more than its chambering. The polymer part just carries the fcg; the parts that take the stress of firing are steel.
    For heavy shooting I like my GP100. I also have an SP101, but I like the LCR more.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    The Lightweight Aluminum framed , 357 Magnum , J-frame revolver is not designed for extended shooting ... the aluminum will wear faster than steel . Ruger makes some hell for stout handguns and if shot with 38 special ammo will hold up for a while ... can't say how many rounds but ...it should be quite a lot ...
    If you want to use it in that way ...go for it . Ruger will take care of "normal" wear and tear and that includes shooting a lot .
    Gary
    That's exactly right! Another factor in why I specifically want the 357 Lcr is it has a steel frame, which my eyes sees an opportunity for unlimited continuous use of 38 +p.

Then I would want a bright green laser grip with that little button you press with your second finger when the grip is held, and a bucketwith 15 speed loaders in it and an empty bucket that I'm going to dump the empty brass and speedloaders into.

I could probably do stuff like that with IMR 4227 or Winchester Autocomp. All Hand Loaded on my Hand Press

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    I don't think you will have any problems with durability. The .38 Special version was tested with 6,000 rounds of +P and still met factory spec despite its aluminum frame. I bought my LCR in .357 because of its steel frame more than its chambering. The polymer part just carries the fcg; the parts that take the stress of firing are steel.
    For heavy shooting I like my GP100. I also have an SP101, but I like the LCR more.
    What is the best shooting bullet out of your 357 LCR?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Gary
    I don't think my wrists could handle the heaviest loads in mine. I carry a magnum load, but it's 6 grains of CFE pistol, not 17 grains of H110 (that I shoot in my N-frame).

Boolit Grand Master

I am not recoil shy in the least but my SP101 snub with full house 357Mag was punishing. I'd advise to reconsider any steady diet of them in an LCR. As others have said, practice with them enough to get the feel and make sure the gun functions with what you are going to carry and then shoot 38sp the rest of the time.

The fireball with full house from that pistol was inspiring.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast