WidenersLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lee 32 WC Tumble LubeEc

Boolit Grand Master

Lee 32 WC Tumble LubeEc

I’ve got a couple of threads on this subject going on the Lee Loader Forum, but I think I’ll try here as well. Back in the ‘90s, Lee made, for a short time, moulds for a 32 wad cutter bullet weighing about 93 grains and designed for tumble lubing. They were available in two cavity and six cavity versions.

My query is twofold; first, if anyone has one they would like to contribute to the cause (me!) by whatever means seem appropriate, I’d love to hear from you. Second, I’d like to know whether there is sufficient interest for me to start to organize a group buy. What about it guys?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy

Good evening Mr. Frog,
    I borrowed that Lee 2cav wadcutter mold from a friend years ago (long gone now) and made some boolits with it. It shot pretty good.
    Recently got the RCBS 32-98 wadcutter mold, and for me was more accurate.

Its a conventional lube groove design, but with tumble lube or powder coat, it shoots tiny little groups out of my Single Seven Ruger over a small dose of W-231 in 32 mag cases.

Moderator Emeritus

I had looked for one for a while, but settled my itch with a 95 gr Lyman and an 84 gr RCBS. They are fun out of the 32 handguns or a 30-30 contender barrel. Being a Lee, with softer aluminum, I am not sure one would still be in great shape if found.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Good points, Ia.redneck and MT Gianni. I’ve got the Lyman 313492 and a MP HBWC mould, but for some reason I’ve just got a Jones for the Lee TLWC. You know frogs don’t follow logic!

I've also looked for that mold off/on over the years. I'd be interested in a group buy, depending on mold specs and cost.

Moderator Emeritus

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet...bullet=31-090W

How much different would it look than this?

Boolit Grand Master
    It’s a DEWC. The only way to tell which end is which is to look for the sprue scar. Like I said, I’ve got a Jones on for this particular design because Dale53 got me interested in his brand of “baked on” tumble lube. It’s not like I don’t have enough 32 moulds in the basement.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd almost be tempted, but I don't have enough small pistol primers to use the molds I have right now.

As it stands, I am liking the RCBS 32-098-SWC for both the .32 S&W Long and the .32 H&R Mag.

If I could ever find an affordable K-32 (dream on, right?) it might be different.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I'd almost be tempted, but I don't have enough small pistol primers to use the molds I have right now.

As it stands, I am liking the RCBS 32-098-SWC for both the .32 S&W Long and the .32 H&R Mag.

If I could ever find an affordable K-32 (dream on, right?) it might be different.

Robert
    The reason I am so interested in 32 cal bullets (and moulds) is that over the years I've had several I frame 32s including a Regulation Police Target and a post War Transition snub. I only kept my Model 16-4 for a short time in the early '90s (don't ask) but I've had two K frame 32s custom built, the only way I could get what I wanted. One is a stainless 327 Fed Mag and the other a recreation of a Model 16-3. In addition a couple of Ruger Blackhawks, in 32 H&R and 327 Fed Mag respectively, have passed my door. It would be difficult to imagine having too many 32 bullet moulds at my disposal.

Froggie

PS The Model 16-4 is the most affordable K32 out there, but even this one is getting way up there. Maybe as S&W reorganizes someone will convince them that a Model 16-5 (in 327 Fed Mag) would be worth bringing out. Of course it would have MIM parts and the Hillary Hole, but at least there would be a K32 in the lineup!

Boolit Master
    It’s not a Smith, but it’s K sized,
    https://gunsmagazine.com/discover/ro...l22-revolvers/

Have to read the fine print, offering it in 32SWL as well as the rimfires. I won’t buy without having one in my hand, but … actual place of manufacture, which is the Czech Republic.

Rock Island Armory offers both of these .22 sixguns in blue or stainless finish and barrel lengths of 3″, 4″ and 6″. They also have centerfire versions with the same specification in .357 Magnum, .38 Special and one chambering I have not seen offered as a new sixgun for decades, namely .32 S&W Long. This is a grand little cartridge for target shooting, small game and varmint control, as well as for teaching someone to shoot a sixgun which seems a little more powerful than a .22 yet without excess felt recoil.

MSRP: starting at $599

That’s a bit stiff for me, but if it’s a decent build the street price might be worthwhile.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Bub
    I have one of the Lee TL314-85-WC molds. Matt's Bullets offers the bullet at a pretty substantial lower price than conventionally sized-and-lubed bullets. It's a good, accurate bullet for .32 shooters.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post

Have to read the fine print, offering it in 32SWL as well as the rimfires. I won’t buy without having one in my hand, but … actual place of manufacture, which is the Czech Republic.

Rock Island Armory offers both of these .22 sixguns in blue or stainless finish and barrel lengths of 3″, 4″ and 6″. They also have centerfire versions with the same specification in .357 Magnum, .38 Special and one chambering I have not seen offered as a new sixgun for decades, namely .32 S&W Long. This is a grand little cartridge for target shooting, small game and varmint control, as well as for teaching someone to shoot a sixgun which seems a little more powerful than a .22 yet without excess felt recoil.

That’s a bit stiff for me, but if it’s a decent build the street price might be worthwhile.
    I just searched the RIA/Armscor website and couldn’t find any mention of a revolver in 32 S&W. They had revolvers in 22 LR & Mag, 9mm, and 357, but no 32s. Do you have any more info about this model?

Froggie

Moderator Emeritus

I have a Charter Arms Professional. 3" gun that was at a local shop a year and a half ago for $395. I like it but had to send it in as it was tied up after the first range trip. It came back with a note on what was done in a 6 week turn around. Throats are 0.3145". I have a NOE 5 cavity of the 3118 I badgered and pc'd to get 315" bullets. 4 gr of AA2 makes a pretty target. I am not really happy with the front sight. It's a green fiber optic that shoots low at 25 yards with my normal 6 0'clock hold. I almost need a 12 0'clock hold to have it on target. It surely isn't perfect but it's good enough to keep. It has no sideplate but the whole affair is pinned together. I will keep the Ruger SSM 32 Mag and Pre-Regulation Police 32 long as the primary guns for 32 caliber.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post

Looking at the groups fired with the RIA revolver, I'm very glad that I don't have my $ $ invested in the revolver.

Ben

Boolit Master
    Several of my friends and I used a Saeco mold for 100 grain wadcutters that has two lube grooves plus a crimp groove. The guns were two Benelli's, and two Walther's. We had differing results where one of the Walther's and one of the Benelli's worked better with .312 replacement barrels but the one Benelli did the best of all of them with a stock .314 barrel. All of them did near 2 inches at 50 yards and were used for Bullseye competition By far this mold was the best for all of the guns including bought commercial but these are all semi auto competition guns and not revolvers plus a ton of experimentation was done by expanding brass to all different sizes and with sizing bullets from ,312 to .3145.