WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: .410 Lil Gun load for slug/round ball?

.410 Lil Gun load for slug/round ball?

Looking for load data on 1/4oz .410 slug or .40” Hornady round ball in 2.5” hull. I’d like to get some great fps out of em like the Rem Sluggers if possible. Haven’t gotten around to buying the BPI Small Bore book, but wondering if anyone can help me out on this. Thanks!

Boolit Master

This is the sole place I trust lil gun in.
    As a shotgun powder with the 410!!

I was gifted some conventional wasp waisted "pelletgun" 410 slugs and they do well with lil gun. I also shoot two & three .390 ball loads as well as one .390 ball with a slug on top. With Lil Gun. These loads are warmer then factory with both report recoil and velocity but all shoot much more accurately then factory.

I dont have manual here but I use a lee scoop to charge the cases. Its in neighborhood of 14.5-15g

But again this is by MEMORY so take it at face value. I can check and return if I get a chance later.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

I use 40 gr. LilGun, BX 410 wad, 1 - 000 buckshot, and a NC410 card on top. 2800 fps according to Ballistic products buckshot manual.
    .360 cal 000 weight is 69 grain

What other powder that was used . I do not have Lilgun. I have 2400 and IMR 2447 and others . But I mainly used 2400 on 410.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    DDriller, please confirm you meant 40 Grains of LilGun.

Boolit Master
    ddriller say it isnt so 40 gr of powder and 2800fps

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BPI 410.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	291266
    From BPI manual
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BPI 410.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, I'm a believer. Logically the 67 gr single ball weighs in at .158 oz. A 1/2 oz standard .410 shot charge is 218.75 grains. A very light projectile with a whole lot of powder. Wow.

Are you loading this in a 2.5" hull or a 3" hull?

How does it behave? Does it seem accurate and consistent?
    Thanks for sharing this. It sends me back for another look on .410 possibilities.

Boolit Master

I load it in both lengths but I like the 2.5" best. If the balls are perfectly round like the factory swaged they shoot fairly consistent. My cast 000 do well unless there is a flaw where the sprue was cut and they seam to curve in flight. At 25 yards it doesn't matter.

Boolit Master
    well they should mushroom well 2800fps and safe amazing

Wow 2800fps is amazing. That’s what I’m talking about. Gonna have to try that. Wonder how it could be safely adapted to the Hornady .395” ball, which is a perfect fit. Maybe 35 grains powder?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    well they should mushroom well 2800fps and safe amazing
    Mushroom? they flatten out like a coin. when you can find one.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BPI 410.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	291266
    From BPI manual
    Sorry to bump this older thread...I'm wondering if anyone has data for the ~127gr ThugSlugs? (Lil'Gun preferably)

Boolit Master
    Glad you opened it anyway, can't help with the slugs but do have Lil'Gun and a .395 rb mold. I haven't cracked open the Lil'Gun yet but I need to work up a load. The ball will go through full choke with thumb pressure.

I have a 40 cal. muzzle loader and have killed dear with a .395 ball at about 1550-1600 fps. It has plenty of power for dear if you do your part. A good 410 load should be just as effective at close range. Probably wouldn't do it but it is nice to have options.

CW, what are your thoughts on Lil'Gun. I have heard it burns hot and is hard on hulls but is also very efficient in the .410.

Boolit Master

I have the same BPI Manual.

I have had no issue with lil gun in 410. I HAVE HAD issue with lil gun in 350, 357, 357 Max and 450 BM. I will NOT USE there.

Hot yes as in burn temp. Just a hand full of metallic rounds have a barrel past ability to hold skin against. Heat kills barrels excessive heat destroys barrels. This is exacerbated in repeaters. In a shot gun, rapid fire is uncommon but plastic dosen't transfer heat same. But yes it does show its effects on the hulls.

I have been using lil gun exclusively with my .390 & .395 as well as my .410 wad cutter loads (made for my cyl bore 410's) My patterns to 50 yards are very impressive velocity is more then I like to write but is as posted in manuals. (Not 2800 but I haven't shot a single ball load) My loads are double and triple ball loads. They strike with authority exceeding anything you can buy from the factory in 410.

CW

Boolit Master
    I have shot some two ball loads with H110 but didn't push things. Most of the time both balls would hit within a few inches of each other at 25 yds. I think this would have a good bit more than twice the effect of one.

When I get back around to working with my 410 I will give it a try, I do have a BPI manual.

CW, Thanks for the reply. By the way one of your videos got me started with powder coating.

Boolit Master

Thats awesome man! Hope ya are enjoying it!
    CW