RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: This year I plan to hunt deer with a 357 maximum

Boolit Buddy

This year I plan to hunt deer with a 357 maximum

I have develop an accurate load with some bullets I had available (Speer 170gr GDSP) but I would prefer to work up a load using the Lee c357-200-RF mold and Vv N110 powder that I’ve just found. I would love to hear what others come up for a load that can reach up to 2000 fps using the components I have at hand. I do have CCI-450 and also CCI-400 srp at hand and R-P 357 max cases.
    My rifle is a TC Encore with an MGM barrel in 357 max. I had good luck developing the load I mentioned above, using Lil’Gun powder. Now, I am out of that powder and I will work with the N110.
    Thank you for the help.
    Camba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I also have an MGM .357max barrel (two of them, one with 1:20 and one with 1:16 twist). I also use N110 and N120 powder. I doubt you’ll get 2,000fps with either of those powders with 180g bullets. I will add though that my most accurate loads were with both of those powders. Each will do 1moa or less for five shots using Speer HotCore 180g .358 bullets. Last year I shot two deer at a measured 189 yards with that load and neither one went more than twenty yards. My fastest loads were with 1680 powder and those loads shot reasonably well, but not as well as the Viht powders shot.

Boolit Buddy
    NSB,
    Thank you for the info.
    What bullet weigh you use and what is your velocity?
    I have a free reloading manual of vv powders and the 357 max loads listed are for revolver levels. I should be able to go higher than those loads in my tc encore. Don’t you think?
    Camba

Boolit Buddy
    Part of me really thinks I need to turn my 357mag Henry single shot into a 357max. But I have a lever action 35rem...and the magnum isn't really lacking....you make things hard.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021 MD 1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	291172

Boolit Master
    I've got an 18" .357 Max MGM barrel in 1-16" twist. It likes the 180 gr. Speer spire points and performance was stellar last year, which was the first year I used those bullets. Every other year I've used the RD 359-190-RFGC with 27 gr. 1680 and they run just a hair under 2000 fps. I have yet to recover one of those boolits, everything from 35 yards to 197 yards. It's a GREAT hunting combo here in Iowa, especially because I can use it in the late muzzleloader season as a pistol.
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Camba View Post
    NSB,
    Thank you for the info.
    What bullet weigh you use and what is your velocity?
    I have a free reloading manual of vv powders and the 357 max loads listed are for revolver levels. I should be able to go higher than those loads in my tc encore. Don’t you think?
    Camba

If you look through most, if not all, reloading manuals you’ll see that the loads shown are the same whether or not they are shot out of a revolver or a rifle. You will get some added velocity out of a longer barrel. My MGM barrels are both 20” and they are giving about 200 fps more than what is shown for a handgun. Still a little short of 2,000 fps. Still, it’s more than enough to get the job done. I’ve shot well over fifty deer with a .357mag handgun and it’s never let me down. The max just gives you a bit more.

Boolit Master
    I have to say that 180 grain bullet travelling at 2080fps is absolutely deadly on deer.... but I only own a 1907 Winchester in 351. Basically the same ballistics as the 357 Max data that I am seeing from this discussion.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I am going to start with the revolver loads with the vv n110 powder and see how it goes. If anyone has been there and done that, please chime in.

Boolit Buddy
    I would like to to know

You may want to look at Allient Reloader 7 as an alternative powder...In my 10" 357H Contender I get 1950 fps with a 158 gr JHP with 1 moa accuracy. I would expect no less excellent results in the Max with a longer barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    Powder availability is the problem. I would love to find Rel 7, AA1680, Lil’Gun, etc. so I can only deal with vv n110 now which is all I have for powder.

Boolit Master
    I've taken several deer & 3 antelope with my 10.5" Ruger 357 Maximum, mostly using 180 gr cast slugs & 4227. Lil'Gun is not a good powder in revolvers. Getting right at 1600 fps in my gun using a Remington 7 1/2 primer & Starline brass.

Dick

Boolit Master

sixshot
    Are those cast 180s Ranch Dogs or Lar45s?
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy
    I have 2 lbs of lil'gun. Would that help in any way?

Lil Gun is THE POWDER for rifle loads in 357 and 44 mag

Boolit Master
    I am going to start with the revolver loads with the vv n110 powder and see how it goes. If anyone has been there and done that, please chime in.

I used that load last year and shot two deer at a measured 189 yards. It shoots five shot 1moa groups at 100 yards and is the most accurate load I’ve found to date. You’re all set to go with that load. V120 shoots equally well.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a lot of IMR4227 and HS6, I find max charges of little gun don't give my most accurate loads most times. To the point that I'm sitting on 2lbs of Lil'gun that may not get used for a while.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
    I use a lot of IMR4227 and HS6, I find max charges of little gun don't give my most accurate loads most times. To the point that I'm sitting on 2lbs of Lil'gun that may not get used for a while.
    I just gave over a pound of it away this week. I’ve never found it to be the best powder in anything. It’s also to hot burning. A couple of shots and your barrel is really heated up.

Boolit Buddy
    NSB,
    That is an impressive group you got there!

Boolit Master
    NSB,
    That is an impressive group you got there!

I’m old, retired, and really like sitting at the bench playing around seeing what kind of groups I can get with different guns. I’ve been doing this for years. Kind of a boring and useless hobby, but it keeps me happy. I just like to shoot. I will add that you DO NOT need to shoot groups like that to hunt deer. If you’re getting a couple of inches at 100 yards you’re probably good to go for deer hunting. I’m not suggesting you don’t try to get better, but don’t beat yourself up over it if hunting is all you’re looking to do. You don’t need to shoot sub 1moa to hunt successfully. Have fun and good luck hunting.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast