Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This year I plan to hunt deer with a 357 maximum

Boolit Buddy
    Same here, I have two rifles in .357mag that group well with IMR4227 and a couple other powders, loads with Lil'gun from min to max won't group anywhere near close, so I don't use much of the stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    Wolfdog,
    You got a nice set up there. I love the Henry single shot rifles. I have 4 of those. I do like to get the 357 magnum one. Does yours have a deeper chamber to fit a 360 DW case like the contenders do?
    The reason I ask is because I like to keep my rifle loads from been fired in a revolver. The 360 DW prevents that for me and I have 500 new Starline cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I've actually used the Keith 173 gr bullet, an NOE 180 gr mold that was a good one, should have kept it. One of Lars45's designs, should have kept that one also. And I'm using a 175 gr HP that is working well, both on deer & antelope. It still comes down to placement & penetration whatever you use.
    Save that Lil Gun for the closed breech guns, it's excellent but its tough on revolvers!

Dick

Boolit Buddy
    No idea, never seen a 360 so can't even check. My rifle load is safe in my handguns so not worried.

Wolfdog- Headed out with my Henry single shot in .357 Maximum in the morning. I have loads worked up for the Hornady 180 SSP and the 180 Larson rnfp cast bullet. My shot should be within 125 yards? hc18flyer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    Wolfdog- Headed out with my Henry single shot in .357 Maximum in the morning. I have loads worked up for the Hornady 180 SSP and the 180 Larson rnfp cast bullet. My shot should be within 125 yards? hc18flyer
    I'm shooting a 357 mag, 1500fps I think. I didn't have a lot of shock at 120 yards, but it penetrated well and shot placement was on. I think with your extra power, you're fine.

I plan to use the 180 Larson flat point at 1850 fps. If I do my part, shouldn't be a long tracking job? Wish me luck, hc18flyer

Boolit Buddy
    Now, if the deer would cooperate…
    I have no seen a decent deer yet.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    I plan to use the 180 Larson flat point at 1850 fps. If I do my part, shouldn't be a long tracking job? Wish me luck, hc18flyer
    methinks you will do well with that bullet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Camba View Post
    I have develop an accurate load with some bullets I had available (Speer 170gr GDSP) but I would prefer to work up a load using the Lee c357-200-RF mold and Vv N110 powder that I’ve just found. I would love to hear what others come up for a load that can reach up to 2000 fps using the components I have at hand. I do have CCI-450 and also CCI-400 srp at hand and R-P 357 max cases.
    My rifle is a TC Encore with an MGM barrel in 357 max. I had good luck developing the load I mentioned above, using Lil’Gun powder. Now, I am out of that powder and I will work with the N110.
    Thank you for the help.
    Camba

Camba, I looked over this thread and did not see where you ended up load wise and did not see a barrel length.

I have loaded for the 357 Max since the 1980s in handguns (DW revolver, 10" & 14" TC Contenders) and the 357 AR Max in a 16" gun.

I ran 296 for years and then switched to H110. The H110 gave me problems and I switched to WC 680 (milsurp version of 1680) for my IHMSA loads and my 357 AR Max loads.

With an Encore, you are safe loading to 65,000 psi as this gun is also offered in 270 Win. I recommend stopping around 60,000 psi to prolong case life.

I ran Quickload and found that VV N110 is probably very close to or just a tad better than the WC 680 that I am now using. It actually runs out of case space before getting to the pressures I was discussing above. It gets about 100 fps less than H110 and Lil Gun as a result.

Your VV N110 is a probably one of the better choices for powder in that you get good velocities at a case full of powder and you get this at lower pressures than H110 or Lil Gun. Lower pressures can sometimes help with cast boolit accuracy.

With an 18" barrel (wild guess on my part), a very small amount of compression (102% fill) you should be able to get around 1900 fps with the Lee 200 and a OAL of 2.08" (the OAL I used in the Max for this boolit). To go faster will probably require more compression and/or a longer OAL. I ran 2.2" for OAL and got 2005 fps at 102% fill.

If you will post more details (barrel length, max OAL you are willing to use) I can run these parameters and see what the results look like.

Boolit Buddy
    P Flados,
    Awesome information! That is what I was looking for.my barrel is a 21” MGM 357 max 1:16” twist and I found a load that shoots around 1” groups at 100 yards. I have not yet chrono it for velocity but I figure is flying at roughly 2200 fps.
    I worked this load from 20 gr to 26 gr of Lil’Gun and a 170gr Speer GDSP bullet.
    I did get similar accuracy at 21.5gr and at 26gr with the same bullet.
    My chamber is deep and I could seat the bullets far out.
    Disclaimer: I would not recommend this load for revolver or the tc contender frame.
    Thank you for the information.
    Camba

Boolit Buddy
    I have made some loads using the vv n110 and the group was promising but too slow using the listed loads. I will work up a load when I get back home on monday. I have an 8 pound jug of vv n110 to do that.

Boolit Master
    FYI,

The max is pretty efficient in carbine length barrels. As such, your 21" will only get 40 to 50 fps more than an 18" with the VV N110 and a 200 gr boolit.

Boolit Buddy
    Today I killed a doe with my 357 max and the load with the Lil’Gun powder and 170 gr GDSP bullet. It was a neck shot and a laser measured 125 yard distance. It was DRT shot. I gave the deer to my son in law. The shot went through the neck and it also the bullet re enter the deer right before the hind quarter. He is going to send me the pictures of the wound and the bullet if he finds it.
    That is deer 1 with that rifle/barrel combination.

Boolit Buddy
    I will be testing some load with the vv n110 powder soon.

Boolit Master
    Given the similarity to 1680, I am confident that there are some great N110 loads waiting for you to find them. Based on my experiences, play around with your AOL but pay close attention to your % fill. For 1680, others have reported good results with more compression, but I was not happy with any load that had more than just a little bit of compression. N110 is an extruded powder so it may be happy with more compression than 1680 (a ball powder).

And with 8 lbs (this used to be my standard purchase size, but the last few orders were multiple jugs), once you find the loads your gun is happy with, it is hard for me to see you going through a jug with the Max and an Encore.

I have something of an emotional bias for cast boolits, but you will probably want to work up a J word load. As you seat further out, do not be afraid to work your way up to some amount of compression.

Boolit Buddy
    Excellent!
    Thank you.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve got one more doe yesterday with my TC Encore 357 max mgm barrel rifle. I shot it from a sitting position to about 220 yards. I was surprised to see her go down like hit by lightning. I aimed at the shoulder high but I hit her on the neck. She was broadside. The 170gr Speer GDSP bullet went through and through. No need tracking it.
    This gun combination has become my favorite for hunting.
    I need to develop another load for next year since I loaded all my 170gr GDSP already and Speer has discontinued that product.

For the maximum in a single shot, I would think that you could use some of the heavier .358 projectiles. Especially ones for 358 yeti. I use a 158 grain jsp pushed by Lil.Gun in my Win 92. Itll take anything short of the great bears.
    Everything I have shot with that load has dropped in its tracks. The bullets dumps.all its energy inside the critter and just turns their organs to mush. The bear I shot suffered a broken neck (vertebrae were shattered), massive tissue damage and a completely severed trachea.

Boolit Buddy
    So far, I have 3 good loads for my 357 max: one with the 170 gr GDSP, the other is the hornady 180gr xtp and last is the 158gr xtp.
    All 3 loads are very accurate.
    I have not yet gotten a good load with the 200 gr Lee rf gc.
    I did buy powder to give it a try (vv n110). I will be testing that soon.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast