Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air fryer and Powder coat

Air fryer and Powder coat

Ok so I got a question regarding air fryers. Was at the Walmart last night looking for a new oven for powder coating boolits. Wanted a convection with the air flow but all I'm seeing are ones with built in air fryer! Now if I understood correctly and air fryer works similar to a convection my question though is can you powder coat in one ?
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Ok so I got a question regarding air fryers. Was at the Walmart last night looking for a new oven for powder coating boolits. Wanted a convection with the air flow but all I'm seeing are ones with built in air fryer! Now if I understood correctly and air fryer works similar to a convection my question though is can you powder coat in one ?
    I have an air fryer, and my best guess is yes, and may actually do a better job than the old oven. I won't get to find out till Fastlady gets a new one and the old one finds it's way out to the garage. Hmmm, maybe for Christmas?
    Deplorable infidel

Not positive but, I don't think you have to worry about the fryer part until you put a small amount of oil in the oven. I believe that is how they work.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

USMC 77, USRA 79

i am watching this... i have a air fryer the wife does not use....
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

WALMART sells inexpensive Black & Decker air fryer toaster ovens that I use work great for me.
    Set the temperature knob on the Broil setting the fan will run and the temperature is a steady 400*.
    No need to break the bank with a convection oven when a $40-$60 toaster oven will work.

Boolit Master

speaking of wally world
    here is the $20 one I use. I did build a PID for it.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

have PCed thousands of bullets in it
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    OK Wolfdog91 you are already messing up! Yeah, an air fryer type oven will work just fine, but your looking in the wrong place. For doing proper PC you need the most beat up, grungy, $5 at a yard sale toaster oven that you can find. Free is even better. I got my high tech powder coating oven from the break room at work. It was so grossly slathered in nasty baked on gunk that it was being thrown out to make room for a shiny new one. Who would want to PC boolits in a brandy new toaster oven? Are you crazy?

All fun aside, if you use a toaster oven for doing PC here are some tips. First; and obviously, PC stinks like carpet melting in the microwave, so bake the powder coating outdoors or where there's some fresh air. This assumes that your married or have a girlfriend. If your a bachelor you could rebuild a small block Chevy on the coffee table in the living room and get away with it.

Second; Nothing sticks to parchment paper. You can get this stuff at the store on the isle with aluminum foil and saran wrap. Don't confuse it with waxed paper, which is something completely different. I cook all my PC boolits on a sheet of parchment paper and it works great. They don't stick to it.

Third; No matter what you do, some of the powder coating will find it's way onto parts of the oven. Once it's baked on it ain't coming off. After a couple of sessions there will be all kinds of colored patches in and on the oven. For this reason, the oven needs to be a dedicated PC oven and should not be used for food. Even though those little toaster pizzas are made from the same polyurethane as powder coating, it's still not a good idea to mix and match.

I'm sure that you'll get even more good advise, but if it doesn't include sarcasm you should take it with a grain of salt.

PC stinks like carpet melting in the microwave...
    What powder are you using?
    (Eastwood PC has no smell at all)

Boolit Buddy

Walter Laich, that is the same oven I use. Seems to cook boolits ok to me. I do place temp dial on 450 as apposed to 400 degrees. Randy.

Boolit Man
    I have used a cheap yard sale air fryer until I found a Goodwill convection oven. It works just fine except it doesn't hold as many as a toaster convection oven. You do not need oil to make an air fryer work, hence the term air fryer. We use an air fryer (not the same one) to make great chicken wings with no added fat. I should also note that I use Eastwood powders.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I cook just about EVERYTHING we eat in our dual shelf air fryer (except boolits). Works great with NO oil EVER needed.

But the digital convection-style oven I use for PC'ing holds over 500 boolits at a time on multiple big shelves/racks. VERY large cavity and factory built-in digital temp control to ±1F.

Most air fryers I have seen might be rather clumsy to slide racks in and out due to the very tiny cavity size. And make sure they can go to 425F or so. I run my fryer at 360 for every type food I cook. Never tried it any hotter.

Boolit Man
    "Air fryer" is just marketing lingo for a convection oven. Much greater market acceptance under that moniker than they ever had w/ the (proper, but too technical sounding) "convection oven" description.

Boolit Grand Master
    As a matter of fact, my convection oven I use for PC cost $5 at a yard sale!!

Quote Originally Posted by Agarbers View Post
    I have used a cheap yard sale air fryer until I found a Goodwill convection oven. It works just fine except it doesn't hold as many as a toaster convection oven. You do not need oil to make an air fryer work, hence the term air fryer. We use an air fryer (not the same one) to make great chicken wings with no added fat. I should also note that I use Eastwood powders.
    Does the Eastwood Powder make the chicken crispier then other brands?
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Vendor Sponsor

No but will make it taste like plastic covered garbage. Plus is you will probably lose a lot of weigh quickly
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    PC (in ovens) prevents lead from sticking to the inside of your gun barrels and also to the inside of your keister!!!!!!!

Bottom line....................... DO NOT eat food out of the same oven you bake your PC in.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    OK Wolfdog91 you are already messing up! Yeah, an air fryer type oven will work just fine, but your looking in the wrong place. For doing proper PC you need the most beat up, grungy, $5 at a yard sale toaster oven that you can find. Free is even better. I got my high tech powder coating oven from the break room at work. It was so grossly slathered in nasty baked on gunk that it was being thrown out to make room for a shiny new one. Who would want to PC boolits in a brandy new toaster oven? Are you crazy? .
    This! Mine came from a dumpster outside an apartment building. I have no idea why, either, as it looked new. It has been powdercoating bullets for a while now.

I have three convection ovens I bought at thrift shops. The most expensive was $6, thrift shops are your friend
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Man
    No, but it makes it look table-ready and provides extra roughage. We eat with our eyes first. Their two new colors, Rhode Island Red and Leghorn White are finger-lickin' good!

Boolit Bub
    I have a $20 Wally World toaster oven that I am using (bought specifically for) for powder coat and Hi-Tech coating. The real secret is a good thermometer for setting the temperature. Don't rely on the oven knob being even remotely close to the desired temperature. I use one with a thermocouple I can poke into the oven through the crack of the door. A digital thermometer (looks like a digital multimeter) from Harbor Freight is cost effective.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast