Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Coal 45 acp

Boolit Mold

Coal 45 acp

Gentlemen, I'm new to the forum and have a problem with some Lee 200gr RNFN cast for my 45's. After running 50 rounds of my new casts, I find they will not feed in my Gov. 1911 nor my Para Carry LDA.
    Using mixed range brass, trimmed to .890, Fed large pistol primers, and 4.5g of Titegroup. I had originally seated to 1.240 COAL but the Gov. 1911 would not feed out of the mag and the Para would feed but not go into battery. I have had to seat to 1.165 for the Gov 1911 and 1.150 for the Para to go into battery.
    Question is this to deep and do I need to pull all these bullets and reduce the load. Have not had this problem with any of my other 45 cast RN or TC's.

Boolit Master

That is one of my favorite general purpose bullets for 45 acp. I seat em short (don't have the actual measurement handy) so the case mouth is just barely past the crimp groove (had some issues with chambering rolling the brass into the groove if seated over the groove) and they run well in my 3 assorted 45's.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Quote Originally Posted by Intruder1one View Post
    Gentlemen, I'm new to the forum and have a problem with some Lee 200gr RNFN cast for my 45's. After running 50 rounds of my new casts, I find they will not feed in my Gov. 1911 nor my Para Carry LDA.
    Using mixed range brass, trimmed to .890, Fed large pistol primers, and 4.5g of Titegroup. I had originally seated to 1.240 COAL but the Gov. 1911 would not feed out of the mag and the Para would feed but not go into battery. I have had to seat to 1.165 for the Gov 1911 and 1.150 for the Para to go into battery.
    Question is this to deep and do I need to pull all these bullets and reduce the load. Have not had this problem with any of my other 45 cast RN or TC's.
    Are you powder coating, by chance?

I recently started casting for 45acp and found that my Tisas 1911 (like a lot of 1911's apparently) has no Leade. In other words, the full rifiling starts right at the end of the chamber, rather than tapering in.

Part of my problem was the thick powder coating was touching the rifiling.

I could type a few paragraphs about my anguish but let me just encourage you to use your barrel as a case gauge and plunk test your ammo until it fits the chamber. Not a separate case gauge - it does not have a barrel and rifiling.

Boolit Mold
    I bought this mold specifically because some friends use it and it works well. I'm concerned that I'm 4 to 5 thousandths below Saami min for this COAL.

Boolit Mold
    I am Powder Coating, only one coat and resizing before and after. and have pulled both barrels. No plunk until I reach the stated COAL's.

I had a problem with my cast in my RIA 1911. I contacted DougGuy on here and had him throat and crown my barrel. It eats what ever I feed it now. He does great work at a fair price.

Vendor Sponsor

The smart thing to do is have the barrels throated, then you can seat out as long as you want provided rounds will cycle through the magazine. Shorter rounds also don't feed as reliably as longer rounds.

The Para is notorious for not having any freebore at all, and they are not alone. Modern manufacturers couldn't care less if someone wants to shoot handloads, as long as they cycle with store bought jacketed ammo, that's all they are going to care about.

On the left is a stock Springfield RO, on the right is the same barrel after throating, it runs now like a singer sewing machine, with any loads that will cycle through the magazine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Springfield RO Barrel Throating 800.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	717.5 KB 
ID:	291167
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I've been down this road before. Without getting all long winded, I had a load that I loaded for 15 years. Never a problem through thousands of rounds through my Auto Ordnance 1911a1. Bought a new colt combat commander and started having issues with failure to chamber and holding the slide out of battery with that same load. I too thought it was a c.o.l. issue. Nope. My RCBS die was a roll crimp, and the colt had a much tighter chamber than the Auto Ord. I bought a Lee taper crimp die and set the crimp depth to SAMMI spec of .473" dia. at the neck. With a col of 1.273" problem solved. So, mic your loaded rounds for proper neck dia. and, if you're not using a taper crimp die, get one.
    And then send your barrel to Doug and have him do his magic on it.
    https://ammunitionstore.com/content/45%20ACP.pdf
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    I opened a box of Remington .45 auto, 230 grain and measured the O.A.L of 5 cartridges. The range in length was 1.255" to 1.258". I would think that your 1.240" should be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I opened a box of Remington .45 auto, 230 grain and measured the O.A.L of 5 cartridges. The range in length was 1.255" to 1.258". I would think that your 1.240" should be just fine.
    That's very dependent on where the ogive of the bullet is located and the thickness of his powder coat.

Among the many problems I had dialing in my reloads was my haphazard powder coating method. I bake in a pile and knock them apart. The result is some of the bullets have flaws and imperfections on the nose that aren't ironed out in sizing. It never bothered in 9MM but the chamber/barrel/rifiling in the 1911 is so tight that I'd get the bumps on some bullets interfering with the beginning of the rifiling.

Also, I think this thread is in the wrong area.
    Last edited by AlHunt; 11-03-2021 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Real men don't explain their reasons

Boolit Master
    Seriously , consider getting your barrel throated . As for as your OAL & powder I'm not familiar with them , but I would try a few with a low book load .
    Dougguy is quick and very reasonable priced , the work will pay for its self .

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the responses. To answer a few concerns, I'm anal with PCing. I coat all my bullets, shake off the loose powder, stand them on end and cook. One coat. I loaded an uncoated dummy at 1.240 and got the same results. After reading replies, seems the ogive is the problem. Throating seems to be the remedy. Thanks to all. Will PM DougGuy.