Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two Novel Loadings for .45 ACP Revolver

Boolit Master
    I have that WC mould, from H&G. Lighter boolets in 45 ACP ( under 185) need faster powders like Bullseye, Red Dot, 700X. I agree not to run RB that fast 1000 fps but you could tumble lube and work up until they lead. The wc can do it, reference load data, you can be north of 4 BE.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    I have that WC mould, from H&G. Lighter boolets in 45 ACP ( under 185) need faster powders like Bullseye, Red Dot, 700X. I agree not to run RB that fast 1000 fps but you could tumble lube and work up until they lead. The wc can do it, reference load data, you can be north of 4 BE.
    Oh! Thanks!

Yes, now that you mention it, I think I used to know that - 'Unique' is not the best choice for light Bullets...( and these will likely burn dirty, Lol...)

I do have "Red Dot" though - a nice un-opened Jug of it.

What does "North of 4 BE" mean?

No idea where I can reference Load Data for these two Bullets - if you know of a place, let me know?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Thinned LLA works really well with those round ball loads, just a light coat is all you need. You want to be sure to let it completely dry first. Bullseye powder "might" be better suited to these type of gallery loads, I have had great accuracy at short ranges with RB loads in 45AR cases. I'm not pushing them to 1000fps though. My loads are 700-750fps +/- and will give respectable groups even out to 25 yards. They are a lot of fun for sure.
    How thin?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    How thin?
    I myself, I have no idea, I do not know what it is to begin with!

The only lube I have ever used is Bees Wax with my Black Powder Metallic Cartridge and Cap & Ball Revolvers.

But I now do need to figure out a Lube for the Smokeless Loads I am going to be doing for .45 ACP, so...hmmm...

I have not used my Lubrisizer with "Lube" yet, so I need to figure out a way to warm it up so I can Lube as I size...and figure out what Lube to use, or just use my Bees Wax.

The little Wadcutters I got from 'Matts Bullets' came pre lubed, so, they have what-ever it is that is on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    I myself, I have no idea, I do not know what it is to begin with!

The only lube I have ever used is Bees Wax with my Black Powder Metallic Cartridge and Cap & Ball Revolvers.

But I now do need to figure out a Lube for the Smokeless Loads I am going to be doing for .45 ACP, so...hmmm...

I have not used my Lubrisizer with "Lube" yet, so I need to figure out a way to warm it up so I can Lube as I size...and figure out what Lube to use, or just use my Bees Wax.

The little Wadcutters I got from 'Matts Bullets' came pre lubed, so, they have what-ever it is that is on them.
    LLA= Lee Liquid Alox. There is a company that sells what is suppose to be the same thing (I have never used it) but call it Xlox.
    Here's the link:

https://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?...hsl5hgl7hl09i6

Also, depending on which stick lube you choose you may not have to heat the Lubri-Sizer unless you are sizing in a cold shed.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    LLA= Lee Liquid Alox. There is a company that sells what is suppose to be the same thing (I have never used it) but call it Xlox.
    Here's the link:

https://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?...hsl5hgl7hl09i6

Also, depending on which stick lube you choose you may not have to heat the Lubri-Sizer unless you are sizing in a cold shed.
    Thanks Sasquatch!

Boolit Master
    Did they feed okay?

I'll try my Round Ball ones in my Colt Government Model, see if they will feed!

I used to load .38 Special with two Balls, 360 ish ones, sized down a little and a good Crimp on the end one, but I worried about the inner one creeping down so I only did this with Black Powder and good compression.

They worked very well and were quite accurate, leaving one neat Hole in Paper Targets...the two Balls did not drift apart at any Range or distance I tried them at.

Did the same with .45 Colt also, same result, one Hole, no matter the distance...and, quite accurate! Black Powder...

Of course, two 141 Grain, .454 Lead Balls, is a little "heavy" for .45 Colt, but over Black Powder and a less than full charge for their taking up more room than a usual Bullet would, I did not think it would matter.
    Im my case, yes and no! This experiment took place quite a while ago, probably 8yrs ago now so my recollection is a little aged too! I did it in .380acp for my little M&P Bodyguard, a tiny little thing. It is a typical Browning style locked breech but had a heavy spring/DAO hammer to overcome. I was able to up the charge to get it to cycle and i recall it feeding okay but as mentioned in this thread, the accuracy went to poop. I don't think I loaded more than 10rds hot enough to cycle it. Back when I could slap a few test loads together, step out the back porch and fire them, pick up the brass and load it again in 10min and try another. With a mouse fart charge of powder, it wouldn't cycle but accuracy was way better. Ideally I wanted it to cycle for more realistic practice but it was fun as a single shot plinker. Hard little gun to shoot accurately!

This gun preferred unsized roundballs and preferred PC'd vs. lubed. For lubing these, kinda tricky with a ball. One could just coat the whole ball but I just painted some 45-45-10 liquid lube on the ball with a Q-tip around the case mouth before light crimping. A little lube could get in between the brass & ball that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    Im my case, yes and no! This experiment took place quite a while ago, probably 8yrs ago now so my recollection is a little aged too! I did it in .380acp for my little M&P Bodyguard, a tiny little thing. It is a typical Browning style locked breech but had a heavy spring/DAO hammer to overcome. I was able to up the charge to get it to cycle and i recall it feeding okay but as mentioned in this thread, the accuracy went to poop. I don't think I loaded more than 10rds hot enough to cycle it. Back when I could slap a few test loads together, step out the back porch and fire them, pick up the brass and load it again in 10min and try another. With a mouse fart charge of powder, it wouldn't cycle but accuracy was way better. Ideally I wanted it to cycle for more realistic practice but it was fun as a single shot plinker. Hard little gun to shoot accurately!

This gun preferred unsized roundballs and preferred PC'd vs. lubed. For lubing these, kinda tricky with a ball. One could just coat the whole ball but I just painted some 45-45-10 liquid lube on the ball with a Q-tip around the case mouth before light crimping. A little lube could get in between the brass & ball that way.
    I think I'll just dip the Ball ends in molten Bees Wax...then wipe off the upper part, and, see how that does.

Boolit Grand Master
    Oyeboten, my model "P" was bought used in late 1974

Boolit Master
    I think I'll just dip the Ball ends in molten Bees Wax...then wipe off the upper part, and, see how that does.
    I can't imagine that not working just fine. At the velocities these tend to like, beeswax should be excellent, its pretty good for a lot of cast boolit use. I probably would have used beeswax too but I recall the 45-45-10 being all i had at the time.

All this reminiscing has me wanting to play with RB loads again! These would be a treat in .38 Special for the revolvers! Still have some RB's left over. I have a handful of. 38 Short Colt brass that this would be great for too.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    I can't imagine that not working just fine. At the velocities these tend to like, beeswax should be excellent, its pretty good for a lot of cast boolit use. I probably would have used beeswax too but I recall the 45-45-10 being all i had at the time.

All this reminiscing has me wanting to play with RB loads again! These would be a treat in .38 Special for the revolvers! Still have some RB's left over. I have a handful of. 38 Short Colt brass that this would be great for too.

Of course, when I buy Bullets from "Matts" they come pre-lubed, so, that settles that ( for Smokeless ).

Otherwise with Black Powder Cartridges, I cast my own, and everyone gets a Bees Wax Wafer between Power and Boolit, and this works splendidly.

If I wish to use Matt's Bullets for Black Powder, I just boil off the Lube they came with, and then use my Bees Wax Disc or Wafer.

I have not done it in a while, but double Ball in .38 Special or .45 Colt worked splendidly for me over well compressed 3 F Swiss Powder, always left one neat Hole in the Target, no matter the distance.

I have not tried Double Ball with Smokeless because I would worry about the deeper Ball creeping down and maybe making problems with Loading density and occasioning an over-pressure, but, a Cartridge Case which has a good Cannelure located to prevent this, might be alright.

Boolit Master
    Of course, when I buy Bullets from "Matts" they come pre-lubed, so, that settles that ( for Smokeless ).

Otherwise with Black Powder Cartridges, I cast my own, and everyone gets a Bees Wax Wafer between Power and Boolit, and this works splendidly.

If I wish to use Matt's Bullets for Black Powder, I just boil off the Lube they came with, and then use my Bees Wax Disc or Wafer.

I have not done it in a while, but double Ball in .38 Special or .45 Colt worked splendidly for me over well compressed 3 F Swiss Powder, always left one neat Hole in the Target, no matter the distance.

I have not tried Double Ball with Smokeless because I would worry about the deeper Ball creeping down and maybe making problems with Loading density and occasioning an over-pressure, but, a Cartridge Case which has a good Cannelure located to prevent this, might be alright.
    When it comes to cast boolits, I cast all my own with exception to the coated boolits I use for USPSA competition. A normal busy season with practice would mean 20,000 to 30,000 rounds for the year and I don't have that kind of time nor desire to cast that much! That has dropped way off since the plandemic. I average about 80-100rds a week now.

I enjoy casting and trying new things so keeping it lower volume retains the fun. Most of my lubed cast gets Ben's Red, that recipe works very good for me. I have some BP stuff in the works. Did a little with .45 Colt and 12ga in the past. Planning on BP .38 Special and perhaps the odd rifle cartridge. The one im most excited to get going is .41 Swiss for my M78 Vetterli. I still have some case forming hurdles to get sorted and i need to get a heeled style bullet mold. I want to replicate the original service load for it. Its fun doing small batch specialty stuff such as the RB stuff! I've not played with duplex loads yet but thats another on the list!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Oh! Thanks!

Yes, now that you mention it, I think I used to know that - 'Unique' is not the best choice for light Bullets...( and these will likely burn dirty, Lol...)

I do have "Red Dot" though - a nice un-opened Jug of it.

What does "North of 4 BE" mean?

No idea where I can reference Load Data for these two Bullets - if you know of a place, let me know?
    Sorry, BE is Bullseye, north being more than 4 grains. It's hard to find data for specific mould numbers. As long as you're not near maximum loads, data for equal boolet weights will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    Sorry, BE is Bullseye, north being more than 4 grains. It's hard to find data for specific mould numbers. As long as you're not near maximum loads, data for equal boolet weights will work.
    I know of no Loading Data for either of these Bullets or for anything close to their weight...but, in looking over various Load Data for heavier ones, I went with 5.5 Grains 'Red Dot' for the little 165 Grain Wadcutters, but I did not load any further 141 Grain Round-Ball.

Does this sound alright to you?

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Oyeboten, my model "P" was bought used in late 1974
    How nice!

Is it the 'straight' Grip? Like the m1911? Or, the later Grip shape having the raised Mainspring Housing like an M1911-A1?

Boolit Bub
    Yes I am digging up bones....
    I use this for my 45 cowboy specials and a well compressed load of FFF (~20grns) and I could shoot a 5 stage match and not worry about my guns fouling up they carry a pile of lube, the guns are greasy and dirty but still shooting and smoke flying.

I am not shooting cowboy anymore but still have plans for the molds.
    I just got a 1937 Brazilian contract S&W and I can't wait to try this bullet in it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    How thin?
    Depends on how thick the LLA has become since it was bottled, but usually 1-10 to 1-5 parts mineral spirits to LLA will do what you want. It should be syrupy, not soupy. But a little excess is not too troublesome. It will simply lead to a longer drying time. For a quick and dirty method if you don't feel like messing with mixing a hole bottle up, try this instead.

Put the boolits, LLA and a few drops of mineral spirits into the tub and slosh them around for about a minute, put on a non-porous plate or sheet--I use an old cookie sheet my wife was going to toss-- and let dry. I often set them out in the sun to hasten the evaporation of the mineral spirits.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 06-20-2022 at 10:50 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12