RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Using a Lee hand press feedback

Using a Lee hand press feedback

Hello everybody . Looking to getting back into reloading after a several year layoff in a GREATLY reduced capacity . Sold off appx. 75% of my of my exstensive amount of equipment and want to keep it simple and sweet and not invest a fortune like I did in the past . I am down to 3 calibers now from around 20 I had before . I wont be able to set up a reloading bench again and am interested in using the hand held press . I have some reloaded rounds still for my weapons that I want to duplicate and use to set my bullet seating depths and am looking for feedback from those who have used or are using the Lee hand press . Thank you for reading my post . 10 Spot .

I use the heck out of mine, for the smaller cartridges. (for all steps)
    Can't say I've tried for the larger rifle cases, but I've heard of guys who do. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    If you intend to load 10k 9mm then selecting a comfortable chair and case lube for deprime-resize may be in order.

I load lots of 9x19, 357 mag/38, 308 winchester, and small amount of 30/06, 303 brit on a hand press with breach lock bushings.

Process cases from one box to another.

Bag it up write down what stage of process it is on. Pick it up where I left off when I feel like it.

Finally a loading block and powder measure bolted to a cedar stump.

I guess I never sit down and load "start to finish" cartridges with the hand press -- and seldom with my other presses.

I have even primed on the hand press using the Lee or RCBS ram-prime tool.

I will say that the little hand-press has become important enough to me that I'd never want to be without it. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    The Lee hand press works fine, it's just slow and physically demanding for larger cases. If you are just loading a smaller number of rounds for casual shooting or hunting , it should work fine.

Thanks guys . You all have eased my mind and am going to get one of these presses . 10 Spot .
    Last edited by 10 Spot Terminator; 11-01-2021 at 01:51 AM. Reason: spelin

Boolit Buddy

If you want something with more precision.
    Buchanan Precision Machine Hand Reloading Press

https://buchananprecisionmachine.com...eloading-press

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks for the Nod Valley Shooter. and 10 spot if you would like something a little better built than Lee Tool you should have a look at mine.
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Mine has numerous features that make it work alot better than the Lee tool and among them is the simple fact that the tool will standup by itself on a table. It has considerably more Mechanical Advantage than the Lee Tool which means you can size larger brass easier. It is nothing to do .30-06 or .308's or .45-70 on my press. pistol cases are a breeze

If you go onto Youtube there are several videos showing it in use and one guy is sizing .308 machine gun brass in one stroke! I takes me three strokes on my Rockchucker!

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...eloading+press

My tool was built specifically to provide a quality tool that is at home where you don't have the space for a Dedicated Reloading Bench, but still want a tool that will do everything a bench mounted press will do. I have customers who are doing .338 Lapua all the .45 cal. cartridges and one even does .577 Nitro Express in the field.

It costs more than the Lee but is made from Precision Machined Parts and will last a Lifetime.

Also you can have your entire Reloading Set Up housed in one tool bag like the one shown below.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464191.jpg   IMG_0275.jpg   100464176.JPG   100464181.jpg   100464674.JPG  

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-01-2021 at 04:47 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

That Buchanan press looks like a pure winner after I watched the video's some time back. If i didnt have a Lee at my hunting camp already Id jump on one with both feet if I was in tbe market for a portable. Randy is right, if you have the money are are looking for a high quality portible his is the one

I keep my Lee at camp and load handgun on it every year. Also a few rifle but those will give you a workout. Tried a 416 on it but i would not recommend more than a few of those.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    My handheld press is the Lyman AccuPress, not the Lee, but functionally they are about the same.

Not the most comfortable press to use handheld, but it can be reconfigured to screw to a board. It will do most things needed when loading, but I would not want to be without a real bench mounted press.

I don't prime on the press, I use the RCBS hand priming tool. It fits my hand better than the Lee did, and uses standard shellholders.

If I were starting over, I would look very hard at one of Randy's presses.

Robert

The lee hand press does well for me. I load up to 30-06 on it. I remove the expander and use an M die with my rifle dies normally. That takes a lot of the work out of the hand press.

Boolit Buddy

I have Lee, Redding, RCBS and Dillion presses on the bench. My Lee hand press gets used the most, from start to finished cartridge. Enough so that the paint is starting to wear through. I to work the brass through in batches. The last batch was 300 Lake City 7.62x51. I like it well enough that when they came out with the breech lock type, I got another.
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato