Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: P226 grips

P226 grips

Question for P226 experts: what is the difference between 9mm and 40 cal grips? Is it the distance from the backstrap to the line that connects the centers of the bolt holes or the distance from that line to the front cutoff of the grips?
    The reason I am asking is that there are guns in 7.62x25 for sale around where I live, cheap, but they come with overmolded rubber grips from the factory, and it is too bulky, even for my huge hands. If I was able to slap a factory SIG plastic grip on it, it would be much handier. The only problem is that they are as scarce as rocking horse dung, and I have no opportunity to try them on, before buying either.

I don't recall there being any difference in the frames, and only a slight difference in the magazines. The P229 could be had in 9mm and it only took a swap of the slide and magazines. I don't think the P226 is any different. If you like a smaller grip, I highly recommend the E2. I had one on my P229 and put one on my P220.

https://www.sigsauer.com/e2-grip-upg...226-da-sa.html
    Last edited by 5Shot; 10-31-2021 at 06:54 PM.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

It's out of stock nearly everywhere, just like the factory 2-piece grips.

After some research I can confirm that SIG original plastic grips fit the 7.62x25 clone but SIG single-piece slip-on grip does not fit. Screws are not interchangeable between the clone and the original.
    The difference in dimensions of the mag well between the calibers is front of the screw holes, so with the SIG grips the clone has quite some exposed metal in front of the edge of the grip, but the gun handles well.
    I will keep looking into the single-piece grips fit issue and post back if I find any solution.

So, the reason for the SIG single-piece grips not installing on the clone is the latter's mag well's outer thickness being 1.062" or 26.9-27mm.
    Could any P226 owners caliper or mike your mag wells and post here, along with the caliber? I wonder if the clone's mag well is thicker.

The single-piece grip's cavity measures at the backstrap at 0.961" or 24.43-24.45mm.

The two-piece grip fits perfect at the top of the mag well, under the heel, but it opens up a crack, about 0.01" or 0.7mm at the bottom of it.
    That tells me that either the new models that take single-piece grips on are different than the old models, or that the single-piece model that I got is defective.

Help me figure out, which! Thank you!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Please pardon the dumb question, but is the 7.62x25 pistol you are talking about an actual P226 or a clone?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I think what the OP has is a Norinco NP762, which is unlikely to have much availability in the U.S. after the Klinton Kommunista era (odd that they'll allow in pretty much ANYTHING ELSE from China, including Joe Biden )

My armorer's cert is a bit out of date on the Sig Classics, but you do need to look out for having the right screw length with the right washer (can't tell you what that is on a clone).

You also need to apply a little caution with how the grips are shaped ON THE INSIDE. They have a little cutout to clear the little safety-pin-esque spring responsible for resetting the trigger bar on the right panel, and another to clear the decocker on the left. Consequently, Sig is VERY thumbs-down on aftermarket grips (I've seen rubber overmolds bind both those functions up). Sooooo. . .even assuming the holes line up and the screws were the same, you'll want to make sure Norinco's configuration of parts in those areas is compatible.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.