Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Will it fit?

Boolit Master

Will it fit?

I am thinking of buying a Remington Sportsman 58 and wondering if a slug barrel from a Remington 870 will fit on the 58? Anyone out there ever inter-change these two? Thank you in advance.
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

Boolit Master

I doubt it the 58 is a semi auto not a pump

Boolit Master

My dad had a 58 many years ago. It it a recoil operated gun, IIRC the entire barrel recoils similar to a Browning Auto 5. I wouldn't think an 870 barrel would fit that action.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    My dad had a 58 many years ago. It it a recoil operated gun, IIRC the entire barrel recoils similar to a Browning Auto 5. I wouldn't think an 870 barrel would fit that action.
    The Remington 11/48, later simply Sportsman 48, was a long recoil action shotgun.

"The Model 58 was Remington’s first gas-operated, semi-automatic shotgun."
    https://www.fieldandstream.com/blast...gton-model-58/

Boolit Master
    The 870 barrel will fit but it doesn’t have the gas ports. I have had a fellow port a couple for me . If you’re interested I’ll find the contact information . Off top of my head I believe he is known as Bunes on gun broker & ebay .

I think I remember a short lived semi auto model 878 in there somewhere as well.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RMc View Post
    The Remington 11/48, later simply Sportsman 48, was a long recoil action shotgun.

"The Model 58 was Remington’s first gas-operated, semi-automatic shotgun."
    https://www.fieldandstream.com/blast...gton-model-58/
    I stand corrected, thanks RMc! Dad's gun was the 11/48 "Sportsman", I remember that barrel bobbling around the few times I shot it.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Remington 11-48. I can assure you the barrels of an 870 will not even begin to fit in any manner at all. They are as different as it can get. The only barrels that will fit yours are other 11-48 barrels, and sportsman's 48 barrels. Any chance you are looking for an improved cylinder 26" 16 gauge barrel?

Boolit Master
    I believe the op asked about the Remington model 58 sportsman . The first gas operated Remington shotgun

Boolit Grand Master

I read Centershot's posts, and assumed the OP had made a mistake. It seems I'm the one who made a mistake.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    The 870 barrel will fit but it doesn’t have the gas ports. I have had a fellow port a couple for me . If you’re interested I’ll find the contact information . Off top of my head I believe he is known as Bunes on gun broker & ebay .
    I completely forgot about the need for gas ports. Guess the reason I asked about the 870 barrel fitting was that I went to the Numrich Arms site to see if they had them for sale. Of course no luck. The IPB picture looked just like a 870 barrel that could have been used for a replacement. Thanks to all that have answered.
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979