Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How can one little mouse do this?

Boolit Master
    It’s the “peanut butter” in the wiring insulation ..........and other components!

Actually soybean .......

https://nhoilundercoating.com/soy-ba...keep-mice-out/

I have no experience with this product in the above link though.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by XDROB View Post
    Honda came out with a cayenne 1 pepper electrical tape. To help combat mice chewing on wires on top of the fuel tanks. Which were not cheap to remove from the vehicles and replace all the hoses and wires that had been chewed. It seemed to work because we never got another vehicle back in that had been repaired with it. I also have been experimenting with a deck box that we keep swing cushions in. In the four corners I put a cotton ball soaked with peppermint oil and so far in 2 years we have not had one mice problem yet. As long as you like peppermint oil you're good to go. We also keep what is advertised as rat traps to get the mice and the garage the attic and the seller. They do not survive those.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    “In the four corners I put a cotton ball soaked with peppermint oil and so far in 2 years we have not had one mice problem yet.”

I have heard of this .....

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master

Is the Pope religious ... you wouldn't believe where mice can get into and the havoc and damage they can inflict ... Keeping doors closed doesn't stop Doodly-Squat ...

Get a CAT .... Two CAT'S is even better ... feed them in the garage .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Here in the Sonoran desert I line up dozens of mousetraps unbaited in the corners of the shed and garage. I catch packrats without bait, and they avoid baited traps. Wherever a mouse goes, they leave a trail of um, scent. Snakes follow the trail and lie in wait.

We have trained the rattlers not to rattle, if they make a noise, they're dead. So we have a generation of very quiet snakes, they see us and freeze, their camoflage makes them invisible, just a snakey tongue. Got nine in two years, didn't see one last summer. Gopher snakes are huge, and get relocated outside the wall.

Monthly I hose every runway down, then the bug guy doses it.
    Trash stored outside in a bin. No bugs, no mice trails, no snakes.
    SWMBO supervises.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    They can fit anywhere your fingertip can fit.

Mice do terrible things to trucks.

They climb on top of the fuel tank and eat the vapor lines and wiring that lead up to the intake manifold. I have replaced fuel pumps and fuel tanks and evap pipes and cannisters on Chevy express and ford transit vans after mice damaged the plastic.

That they smell the ethanol in the fuel is my theory.

Sometimes they munch the insulation from computer control wiring. Those are interesting to trouble shoot. It's enough of a re-occuring problem that I get

They urinate and defecate constantly while eating, so everywhere that has paper towel shreds on it may have been contaminated with parasites they carry.

It is unlikely there is only one mouse.
    They lie in wait, hiding. What will they munch on next??

The best way to remove them is to bait the mice, then drown them with the bucket trap.

Get a 5 gallon bucket and drill two small holes opposite each other near the top.

Get a empty aluminum can, drill a hole in the bottom.

Thread a straighted wire through the holes in the bucket with the holes in the can.

Smear peanut butter on the can then lean a piece of wood against the bucket so they can access the bucket and bait can. Make it irresistible by sprinkling sunflower seeds on the ramp and can roller.

Test that it spins freely with fingertip pressure.

Add six inches water then dump it daily.

The birds gotta eat.
    If you see one mouse, there are at least ten. If you see ten mice, there are at least 100. Get a couple of Tin Cats. https://www.victorpest.com/victor-ti...-boards-m310gb You can find them at Amazon.com, most hardware stores, and lumber yard/feed stores. Bait them with a dab of peanut butter, or a bit of bacon grease, and you can drown the mice in a bucket of warm soapy water, kill their fleas and lice, and clean the trap all at the same time. I've got one I've had for nearly 20 years, and they're very reusable. You can get them with a clear window so you can see what you've caught, and know when to empty the trap, too.

A mouse can fit through a slot less than 1/4" high, and they gnaw holes even in concrete to get to where they want to get. Plug the holes you find with steel wool, and you can at least slow them down a bit. It hurts their mouths chewing on it. Some places, like SoCal, they're known to be infected with bubonic plague, and hanta virus.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    I use the bucket trap and works great. I am trying the moth ball packs to see if that helps. Had a mouse come jumping out of my Kabota backhoe base that landed on my chest and scared me a bit that I missed stomping on it. They get everywhere and ruin everything, especially plastic hoses and such. Don't really se the damage till you need it. I started putting things in those big black totes with the yellow lids from Costco.
    Waste of time and money on the plastic totes. They can chew through those containers, and will. Galvanized steel will stop them. Not much of anything else.

Bill
    Last edited by Scrounge; 10-31-2021 at 03:39 PM. Reason: clarify what was a waste of money.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    That's the truth about the steel wool! They hate munching on that stuff! Totally forgot about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    Get a couple of Tin Cats. .
    That's brilliant.
    We have curious dogs, so I can't use spring traps anywhere they could possible get to.
    And if a pet gets stuck on a glue trap-- it can be a real serious event to get it off of them.

I noticed they are illegal in Puerto Rico.
    I'm almost afraid to ask why.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

A lot of the farmers around here put Rat poison in their equipment in the off season. The ones that have shop Cats have fewer mice problems than those that don't. Trucks, Tractors, Combines -------- Mice can do lots of expensive damage.

My Wife and I feed the Birds and buy Sunflower seeds in 50# bags, usually several at a time. We have to use metal trash cans on the back porch for storage because the Squirrels will knaw into plastic cans.

Moderator Emeritus

I have bought a costco sized jar of powdered cinnamon to put in the camper. They don't care for the smell so I put it in paper bowls around the inside after I winterize it. I also buy a bunch of stinky cinnamon pine cones after the holidays and scatter them in the garage.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

We have a 1988 motor home that hasn't had problems I think mainly because it has the old non-environmental vinyl wiring and also a slight leak on the shaft seal so the engine and undercarriage has a film of motor oil on it. Any holes to the outdoors get stuffed with aluminum foil which they don't like munching on.

Boolit Buddy
    In my cabin I have a three section kindling box mounted in the middle of my firewood rack. Birch bark on top, small twigs in the middle and larger pieces in the bottom. To keep from making a trail of small twigs from the rack to the stove each time I started loading up toilet paper tubes and paper towel tubes cut into three with the twigs so I just grab a tube of twigs now. One day arriving at the cabin I went to grab a tube of twigs to start the stove and the compartment was just filled with twigs. All of the 10-12 tubes that were in it were gone. Never did determine where they took all the cardboard to.

I have a nice (or was nice) 6 man rubberized canvas inflatable boat, complete with motor mount. The plastic bin it was in didn't get sealed and mice ate several holes in the floor. None in the air chambers. I'm trying rubber backed canvas drop cloth as a patch wish me luck.

I also found that the mice really like the crisco/beeswax lube on Minnie ball rounds. I was looking at taking some .58 caliber ones out and wondered why the lube had all flaked off. So as I set up and started to re-dip I suddenly realized the container was full of mouse droppings. Little buggers had chowed down on about 40 soft lead bullets.

No cats anymore, decided to have furniture instead. Road out front is a "short cut" to the highway and traffic is too fast and frequent for outdoor cats to have much lifespan. Indoor cats trashed too much furniture over the years so that when the last pair died we didn't replace.

Birds feeder is about 10 ft. from basement wall. Pretty sure I know where the mice go after they finish at the all you can eat buffet. Every fall I put out traps until no more are caught. Much of what is in basement is now in bins. Yes they can eat through them but it is easier to spot the mess and head off the damage. Tray of lube muzzle loader bullets was a new one on me. One did commit suicide and spoil a bucket of corn cob media. Got in bucket and couldn't get out. Was a dried husk when I found him. Felt a bit bad about even a mouse going like that.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

There is some debate as to whether or not auto manufacturers moving to a soy-based wiring sheath rather than the old petroleum-based ones has contributed to a huge increase in rodent damage since the mid-2000's.

There was a large class-action lawsuit against Toyota a few years ago in which they won.

I handled dozens of rodent-damage claims as an insurance adjuster. They are covered under your Comprehensive coverage and are no-fault claims, but your comp deductible still applies.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    Had a mouse get down into the squirrel cage fan of new car, shaking severely took it to dealership for warranty repair.
    I parked under a young oak tree at Orlando MCO for a week while up north. Drove home fine, washed the love-bugs off the grill & bumper next day. While washing I noticed one hole in the cowl panel plastic grill was a round instead of square hole but there was a bolt head just beyond it. I figured the 5/8” diameter hole was round so they could get a socket on the bolt.
    Started it up next morning and it felt like it was running on less than a full complement of cylinders. Took the dealer 15 minutes to find a mouse had chewed up some wiring, enlarged the hole in my cowl panel and built a nest in the fan housing. Total repair bill was $3000.00, my deductible was $500. Mechanic said the wire insulation was made using soy based plastic that mice really liked. Must have been partial to acorns too as the cabin fan filter was covered with shells.

Boolit Master
    My bosses son was entrusted with keeping the parents new luxury car operable while the boss went on a tour for 12 months......son brought the car into work ,parked it in the corner of the shed ......and in a brilliant move ,put some big bags of watchdog chow in the trunk.....a $250k car ,you couldnt open the door without a gasmask..

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    .....a $250k car ,you couldnt open the door without a gasmask..
    I hate to laugh at that. But it did remind me....

Years ago, when Bill Cosby did a lot of stand up comedy, he'd often talk about his kids which were pretty young then.

He tell of their household adventures, and sometimes reach a point of frustration with the kids, and announce:

"THE BEATINGS WILL NOW BEGIN" !!!
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I bought a VW Vanagon from a farmer who had it sitting in the yard for a year. Changed plugs & oil; added Slick 50. Ran great. Drove from Michigan to Arizona, dropping off the wife in El Paso on the way. Had really weird motor issues along the way when it got hot from running alot. Going through Dateland, Az. in 128 degree weather, my engine chugged & seized up, then broke loose. I added a few quarts of oil & nursed it into town 3-4 miles away. Buddy brought a U-Haul front wheel trailer and we towed it to Yuma. Mechanic tore it down and found a mouse nest around the spark plug under the tin head cover. Damn mouse cost me the van & mechanics bill. Good news was I caught the mouse . He was cooked along with my motor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrounge nailed it.

Single pregnant mouse gets into your car. Finds bedding material, makes nest, has baby's, raises baby's.
    Baby's and momma trash car. Baby's grow up, move away. Momma moves fresh bedding and food into car and prepares for round 2.

As a kid growing up one of my major hated jobs was sweeping the grain bins every july. Its hot, there is no air in there. And you have the lovely smell of 2 to 20 dead mice decomposing. The worst were the wooden buildings. They had to be gone over inch by inch looking for knotholes, mouseholes, cracks.

When we found one we would shoot a shot of blackjack shingle stick into the hole and make sure the sides got well smeared. Mice hate that stuff. Sticks to fur, tastes terribad. Then a tin can was flattened with a hammer, nailed over the hole. All done in 90 degree outside head, more like 110-120 degree inside. With that lovely eu de rotting mouse smell hanging on the air.

Steel bins with a good concrete floor not a whole lot got in.

But it was for a good cause, enough mouse turds, portions of desecated body's would get a truckload rejected for shipment.

60,000 lbs of Hard Red Spring Wheat, 55 lbs per bushel, 3-5.50 per bushel. The loses add up fast. Much easier to put a 12 year old boy to work and supervise him enough to make sure he is doing the job right.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast