Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Burr on gas check base following sizing

Boolit Buddy

Burr on gas check base following sizing

Recently I've been having trouble with an uneven burr forming on the gas check base after sizing. This occurs mostly on bullets with tight gas check shanks. Have others seen this? How did you address it?

Thanks for any insight!

John

Moderator Emeritus

It happens when the GC isn't seated squarely.
    besides an oversize base creating this issue, a protruding sprue cut will also.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I had occasion to flare open the gas check which allowed a tight or oversize gas check shank to easily seat. I would place the gas checks on a surface, cup facing up and take a round head 1/4X20 screw and tap the round head into the check creating the flare.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a few of the NOE GC flaring tools and they seem to sometimes make the check too big- it catches one the sizing die and makes the burr even worse. I've polished a couple to make them smaller and the entrance of the die to taper it a bit- and that helps a little. Right now with my Lee 225 55gr mold I'm scrapping almost half of my gas checks and having to recast the boolits. I'll keep messing with them and see if I can come up with a solution. Casting really is a game of thousandths....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beaverhunter2 View Post
    I have a few of the NOE GC flaring tools and they seem to sometimes make the check too big- it catches one the sizing die and makes the burr even worse. I've polished a couple to make them smaller and the entrance of the die to taper it a bit- and that helps a little. Right now with my Lee 225 55gr mold I'm scrapping almost half of my gas checks and having to recast the boolits. I'll keep messing with them and see if I can come up with a solution. Casting really is a game of thousandths....
    any chance you can post a pic/s of these burrs? I am having difficulty picturing what/where these burrs are appearing. I too use many of the NOE tools for seating GCs, flaring and deburring bullet bases.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Probably an undersized pushing rod.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Oversized gas check shanks -- that's why God invented Star sizers.