WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: finally met one

Banned

finally met one

hit the local gunstore today and well finally met a Colt army special in 38 caliber.

Not impressed, wasnt allowed to take it off the metal rod in the barrel, but got to spin it around on the metal rod.... doubt it was good for barrel or chamber..

I wasnt really impressed by it at all. I know it is supposed to be historically important, but not in person.

The Army Special became the Official Police and is the frame basis for the Trooper, Python and Officer Model Match revolveres. I have two Army Specials, one .32-20 and one .38 Special. The lock work on both is exquisite as they came. The .38 has seen little use but the .32-20 was well worn when I got it and I have worked it hard. It is still smooth, tight and in time.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

Great guns..........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    Roughly where was this.

Boolit Buddy
    I like the Army Special. I have a couple. A five inch in .32-20 from 1925

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1925 Army Special.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	291084

From the deep, dark hills of Eastern Kentucky came this 1920 four inch .41 Colt. Those were tumultuous times in bloody Harlan. I wonder what stories it might hold?

Name:	SN 454194-2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	291085
    Last edited by one-eyed fat man; 11-01-2021 at 12:22 AM.

Those are nice, one-eyed.

DG

Banned
    It had a decent barrel length ill admit, but so PETITE,, the heritage next to it seemed built like a tank in comparison..

And at 600$ on the tag... even less for me..

Quote Originally Posted by BunkTheory View Post
    It had a decent barrel length ill admit, but so PETITE,, the heritage next to it seemed built like a tank in comparison..

And at 600$ on the tag... even less for me..
    Petite is hardly a word I would use for an Army Special. Are you sure it was not a Positive Special? $600 is not out of sight if the condition is good and grips are right. If you are comparing the Colt to a Heritage revolver, you are not ready for prime time.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Banned
    the barrel was inscribed

COLT army 38
    special

the barrel was slightly longer then the front of the frame to the tip of the grip, very skinny. Petite, next to it was a heritage 22 saa clone, and i swear that frame had thicker metal on it, and was a tad larger..

the grips looked really nice on it though, but overall id probably be scared to shoot it. Just as much as i would be scared to use an armscor revolver chambered in 38 special.

Boolit Grand Master

Name:	IMG_3789.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	291090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0507.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	291091Click image for larger version. 

Name:	095.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	291092
    The Colt E frame is a tad larger than the SA Heritage, actually more than a tad.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Size of a frame doesn't equate to the actual strength.
    The Heritage,,, when compared to the Colt,, in my opinion,, is a no-brainer. The Colt wins hands down.

And I'm a Ruger nut.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Bunk . . . it's like any firearm . . . some people like cherry pie and some like apple pie

I have a Colt AS in 38 spl. - 6" - I like it for the history of it and I enjoy shooting it once a while, but I prefer my old Smith M & P 38 spl. 5" much better and if I had to choose between the two - the Smith would win.

Another example is that while I like my Colt AS for what it is (to me) - I owned a 4" Colt Python at one time - I had a chance to buy the Python at a really low price (luck) - it was in like new shape and I had always heard how great the Python is . . . I hated it - just not my cup tea - I kept it for a couple of years and the one good thing was that when I put it up for sale, I had no problem getting 3X what I paid for it - first guy who looked at it snapped it rip and never quibbled even though he was paying top dollar.

I have an 1896 Army. 38 Long Colt. Been through the internals for cleaning, it's tight as can be. The sear is very touchy, if its too short, the trigger pull is very hard. If it's too long, it won't hold on full cock.
    It has the bore through chambers of .380, but slugs at .362. I've been running healed rounds in it, they shoot better than hollowbase. But not by much. I've had a lot of fun with that gun.